PDA

View Full Version : Windshield tech??

Travis Rankin
11-21-2005, 08:29 PM
Right now the car' (http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=2395) windshield is held in by a seal, and then the chrome stripping finishes it off..

I want to build up the pocket and have the glass, front and rear, to be almost flush with the body, and then just glue in the glass, like in a newer car. and eliminate the chrome

So is it a good way to do it? any special techniques I should employ in installing the glass? Is there a rubber spacer in there, or is it just glued to the steel? what would you do to fill the small gap and the edge of the glass to match it up to the body?

This site rocks :thumbsup:

Thanks for any light you can shed :hail: :D

orange88
11-21-2005, 09:47 PM
just use a really large bead of adhesive the one problem is yourgoing to have a huge gasket to cover up thegap andlook right

907rs
11-21-2005, 10:06 PM
You'll have to add metal to the seating surface as well as close up the opening dimensions. (Height and width) Most guys use the rubber seal from an S-10 truck to hide the gap; it's got a small profile and looks clean IMO.

67Sally
11-22-2005, 09:18 PM
There is some good information about flush mounting the windows at Dennis Linson's website (http://www.et-motorsports.cc/project_cars/nova_62_menace/Construction/Body_work/index.htm)
W.

rwhite692
11-23-2005, 12:58 PM
There was a car at SEMA, a 69 Camaro, in which vendor's booth I can't recall, which had the windshield and the rear glass done this way,...I can't say that it looked very good or would be worth the work (Just my opinion) but perhaps on an all black car, it would help to pull off a certain "trimless" look...on the car I saw at SEMA, it seemed to just make the glass seal more obvious and ugly than it ever was to begin with...again just my $.02. -Rob

Travis Rankin
11-24-2005, 04:25 PM
Im pretty sure I am going to do it, i like doing all the neat little stuff.

I have a glass shop next door and he has some great little bulk windshield weatherstrip, I think i might just be able to pull it off :D

newschool
02-25-2006, 08:44 PM
I am about to do the same thing to my 67. I went with a pearl paint and the chrome around the winshields and the paint doesn't really mesh well. I have a buddy (works for a glass company) who said he could run a big enough bead to raise the winshield and then use molding off of a jeep cherokee. I'll let you know how it looks next week.

ProTouringNyC
02-25-2006, 08:51 PM
Please keep us posted on that project( NewSchool )