PDA

View Full Version : PSCA Racing Season Finale in Fontana

LVCamaro
11-19-2005, 09:41 PM
We qualified #1 today in Real Street even though we had a fire inside the '66 Nova at the big end of the track. The Halon system worked perfectly and Gil is fine, if not a little shaken. It was a helluva mess inside the car with fire retardant everywhere after shutdown, plus the rules disqualify us if OUR CREW tows/pulls the car to the pits after a run. But, in the spirit of true sportsmanship...the #2 qualifier, Rich Hoyle [the guy we just beat], ran over to us, tied off and HE towed us to our pit. Going into this final season race, we only had a scant 5 point lead over Rich Hoyle in the season overall points chase and it's been a seesaw battle all year. Yet, without hesitation, he bailed out and hooked onto us and towed us safely back to our pit. Rich lurks on this board because he knows I hang out here, so I want to personally thank him for his selfless act of true sportsmanship! Thanks Rich :thumbsup: ...and we'll see ya tomorrow in the elim's.

SS

camcojb
11-19-2005, 10:13 PM
We qualified #1 today in Real Street even though we had a fire inside the '66 Nova at the big end of the track. The Halon system worked perfectly and Gil is fine, if not a little shaken. It was a helluva mess inside the car with fire retardant everywhere after shutdown, plus the rules disqualify us if OUR CREW tows/pulls the car to the pits after a run. But, in the spirit of true sportsmanship...the #2 qualifier, Rich Hoyle [the guy we just beat], ran over to us, tied off and HE towed us to our pit. Going into this final season race, we only had a scant 5 point lead over Rich Hoyle in the season overall points chase and it's been a seesaw battle all year. Yet, without hesitation, he bailed out and hooked onto us and towed us safely back to our pit. Rich lurks on this board because he knows I hang out here, so I want to personally thank him for his selfless act of true sportsmanship! Thanks Rich :thumbsup: ...and we'll see ya tomorrow in the elim's.

SS

That is awesome and rare in this world, to say the least! Good luck Steve and :thumbsup: to Rich.

Jody

Stuart Adams
11-19-2005, 10:19 PM
Wow that is an awesome showing of sportsmanship. He probably did that because he knows he would get the same treatment from you. One class guy to another. Steve good luck tommorrow, I'm pulling(get it), for you and your team. I know this means alot to you guys, get r dun.

XcYZ
11-20-2005, 08:04 AM
That's really cool, Steve. Make sure Gil knows he has a big fan club here on Lateral-g. :thumbsup: :morepower

RussMS
11-20-2005, 10:16 AM
That is great Steve! Post some pics when you can. :thumbsup:

LVCamaro
11-20-2005, 01:51 PM
LOL...I'm sure Rich's helping hand was partly a factor of him knowing we're not running Real Street next year [he ought to dominate that class next year without competing with us], but it was nice of him to handle it the way he did! Because of the Nova fire, Gil decided not to run the Cavalier in Outlaw Class this weekend. I don't blame him a bit...a fire in the cockpit is a racer's biggest nightmare!

The floorboard area above the exhaust headers got so hot it "flash" ignited the carpet and filled the cockpit with smoke. Thankfully, Gil had already crossed the finish line and pulled the chute...so he was rapidly shedding speed when the fire erupted. What a mess of fire retardant [and smoke] all over him and the interior cockpit. Fortunately, it only burned a couple wires and the fire was extinguished before it BBQ'd the onboard computer. It had to be a very scary moment for Gil to look down at 170 MPH and see flames crawling up his leg knowing he still had some quantity of pressurized NOS and race fuel onboard. It could have been much, much worse!!!

LVCamaro
11-20-2005, 02:22 PM
CORRECTION: Gil got up this morning in a "mood" :unibrow: , so he will be racing both cars today. More later...

907rs
11-20-2005, 05:24 PM
I wish you guys luck today, Steve. :thumbsup:

LVCamaro
11-20-2005, 06:24 PM
Moments ago, we won the Real Street finals in the Nova with a 7.97 and Gil has made it to the finals in the Outlaw class with the Cavalier. Unbelievable! More in half an hour...

camcojb
11-20-2005, 06:46 PM
Moments ago, we won the Real Street finals in the Nova with a 7.97 and Gil has made it to the finals in the Outlaw class with the Cavalier. Unbelievable! More in half an hour...

Awesome Steve! :thumbsup:

Jody

907rs
11-20-2005, 06:55 PM
Right on! :willy: :dance:

LVCamaro
11-20-2005, 09:20 PM
Only Gil's second redlight of the entire season came this evening in the finals of Outlaw class with the Cavalier...dammit. But, this afternoon he reset the Real Street MPH record at 178.8 for extra championship points. The '66 Nova goes into retirement tonight holding both the ET and MPH PSCA Records for Real Street Class.

LOL...Anybody wanna buy a clean [slightly modified] one-owner 66 Nova? Where's Stuart??? :unibrow:

Happy Holidays everyone!!
SS

Stuart Adams
11-20-2005, 09:55 PM
Fire retardent optional,LOL.

Awesome job Steve and crew. That is a record that will be hard to beat, that is a serious number, under 8sec.

All I can say is WOW and can't wait to see what the new car will run when fully dialed in.

LVCamaro
11-20-2005, 10:29 PM
Gil's record run in the red Nova of 7.87 @ 178.8 in Real Street class may stand for quite a while. It takes some serious driving skill [and track conditions] to run those kinda numbers on DOT tires! :yes:

camcojb
11-20-2005, 11:14 PM
Gil's record run in the red Nova of 7.87 @ 178.8 in Real Street class may stand for quite a while. It takes some serious driving skill [and track conditions] to run those kinda numbers on DOT tires! :yes:

Congrats Steve, you and Gil deserve it!

Jody

XcYZ
11-21-2005, 08:16 AM

:hail: :hail:

RussMS
11-21-2005, 08:47 AM
Truly Awesome! :hail: :hail:

67Sally
11-21-2005, 12:38 PM
Very cool!!!
W.

slow4dr
11-21-2005, 06:08 PM
Congrats Steve & Gil. I kept wanting to come by and say Hi yesterday but when I wasn't busy you guys were and visa versa.

I was out there with my pops in his Nova doing some test-n-tune. I can't believe how well the track was doing. I have been racing there since it opened and I have never seen it hook so well.

I have some vids of 1st round pro-street I will try to upload. I hate that damn 7" fence they put up or else I would have the 6.6 @ 216 pass from Ed Thornton in the finals from the finish line, OMG did that sound insane. :eek: