PDA

View Full Version : Jegs Rollcages

68-GTO
11-18-2005, 02:56 PM
I've been looking at rollcages and i was wondering if the Jegs 12 point cages are certified for SCCA racing, it says that the cages exceeds the NHRA and IHRA standards, and i wasnt sure if these cages met or exceed the SCCA standards. I'm wondering this because this is the type of racing that i would rather be doing, and i just want to make sure my cage is up to par when i go to the tracks.

this is the link to the Jegs cages, im looking at the GTO ones if you're wondering.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=19423&parentCategoryId=10775&langId=-1

thanks.

race-rodz
11-18-2005, 08:22 PM
i dont have the link handy... but im sure a google search will bring it right up... check out the scca rule book, there is a section dedicated to roll cages. im not 100% certain...but the short answer is no. while the style is ok, the material is smaller(?) and heavier wall than scca wants. they are more concerned about diameter than wall thickness, and the dia directly relates to the vehicle weight. check out the rule book to make sure...im just goin from memory.

68-GTO
11-18-2005, 10:50 PM
thanks for the reply, i'll look into the rulebook... that makes it a little harder, but oh well, So does anyone make any rollcages kits SCCA approved, or does anyone of a SCCA approved rollcage builder...

thanks...

Datsbad
11-19-2005, 03:56 PM
odds are if its legal for NHRA then it will pass SCCA. We use some bolt in autopwer bars in our mustangs , they are not NHRA legal but are SCCA legal .

hope this helps

Mean 69
11-19-2005, 04:53 PM
I'd really recommend a good understanding of the rules, not only SCCA, but also NASA, and some of the vintage sanctions, before you make a decision. One thing for certain, the Jeg's, and all of the other usual drag suspects (Alston, Morrison, etc) predominantly use welded tubing. Most of the road race bodies require either seamless (DOM) mild steel, or cro-mo, which is seamless also, in specific diameter and wall thickness. It will depend upon the class you want to run in many cases, and also the weight of the car. Further, the bends, location, doubler plate material, all weigh heavily. Unfortunately, this will bring the price of the cage way up in most cases, and will often, depending upon the car, require a custom bent cage. Some may state that it is a bit excessive in many cases, but, the bottom line is that a cage in a road race car is there for one primary reason: to minimize injury to the driver when bad stuff happens, and it can very easily. If you are going to track (road course) the car, I can't stress enough how important it is to pay strict attention to safety. While you are at it, I'd also look closely at a fire system (dedicated, not just an extinguisher), and other good sense aspects (such as a neck restraint system). Our cars have WAY more performance than a typical driver can handle, independent of ego. When in doubt, go safer.

Mark

Willitwork?
02-21-2007, 02:19 AM
I was looking around for kist on my Pinto yes thats right ford pinto and Try
autoweldchassis.com Looks like okay prices and they clain to have a touring up grade to bigger diamiter cages and probably have your car in a kit. Be sure to call and check the rule book as posted.

GM Muscle
02-21-2007, 12:16 PM
FWIW i have never installed a jegs or CE cage that i thought fit good.. im pretty picky and prefer to bend my own cages but i think i had to go with one it would definatley have to fit nicely and be cnc bent.. i think there are some out there that are.. as far as scca rules i couldnt tell you..