PDA

View Full Version : Welding Table

Garage Dog 65
01-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Hi all !

Over Christmas and New Years I started thinking about a welding table design that I could build. I searched the web for pics and ideas and found some interesting ideas. Just wondering if anyone here that uses a table often has some additional ideas or preferences they might like to add. Post your pics, ideas and comments !

I'm looking to build a 36 x 36 with a 1/2 thick top. 4 square legs (2 or 2.5) with levelers. Square or round tube cross supports.

C clamp and Vise Grip hangar rail(s) on the left side.

I plan to have a hole grid pattern waterjet'd on the top so I can thread the holes to mount hold-down jigs, tooling and clamps.

I liked the ability to bolt down accessories (vise, grinder, hanger dolly stand, etc) to the table with a standard size mounting plate. Maybe even a shelf under the table to place the accessories out of the way while not used.

Hangers/holders on the right side (I'm correct handed) for the torch to hang and welding pliers, etc.

Electrical main cable with a couple outlets.

Miller even has a 12 x 12 opening in their top that allows installation of a torch/plasma cutoff area and includes replaceable cross bars. There is a removable catch tray under that area to dump the junk.

Basically a smaller table for a garage dog that provides lots of versatility needed in a home hobby shop.

Here's some pics of the nicer one's I've seen.

Jim

Garage Dog 65
01-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Some accessories.

Once I get mine designed - I'll post the plans and a materials list for those interested.

GregWeld
01-05-2010, 12:10 PM
There is NO ONE RIGHT TABLE.... ever....

It's never big enough - or tall enough - or low enough... :rofl:

Mine is 4' X 6' - 1/2" thick top... with threaded holes for mounting "stuff" - like 90 degree blocks etc. I also plug welded a angle iron piece at one end - PERFECTLY SQUARE - and etched a line in the middle. The plug welding allows me to pull or push a tape measure.

I would only add that - you need POWER to the table somewhere -- and AIR... from overhead. Also - I would not make it too fancy as far as the top goes... many times I tack things to the table... and grind the tack off when finished. T slots belong on milling machines etc... I would constantly be dropping tungstens in there and screws and nuts etc - that would really pee me off...

STRONG and FLAT and unshakable is a good attribute! Storage under it is also good.... I took the wheels off my first Sears Craftsman 3 drawer tool box - and stuck it under my table. It now stores the consumables.. gloves... boxes of ss wire brushes etc that I use constantly when welding etc.

I have a separate cutting - bending - banging - dirty - nasty table.... made from grates I bought at Boeing surplus... the "stuff" all falls down - and I can use it for spray painting small parts etc... I don't want to get paint on my good table - as this would then hamper my "ground"...

XcYZ
01-05-2010, 12:23 PM
I have a separate cutting - bending - banging - dirty - nasty table.... made from grates I bought at Boeing surplus... the "stuff" all falls down - and I can use it for spray painting small parts etc... I don't want to get paint on my good table - as this would then hamper my "ground"...

Cool idea. How big is it?

GregWeld
01-05-2010, 12:25 PM
I personally love the first blue leg with big azz Wilton (the ONLY vise to own) design... I like the kick-out for the vise.. and it has power down a leg and the top is killer and the leg design is sturdy without being ridiculous. I never have an opinion either...

When looking at some of the others - there are a couple that are all top and no legs - and one that is all legs and no top... and one that looks like swiss cheese... letting everything fall thru that can... and if you welded to it - the threads will get bunged up... ditto if you hammer on it... and you need to be able to pound on a table like this. You try dragging or schunching (a made up word) a rear end or heavy part on a table like that - the holes will scratch it or hang it up - and the part will damage the threads...

I don't like a "back" on a table like this... it will, at some point, interfere with what you're working on... you need to be able to move pieces in all directions - and they have to be able to hang over in all directions.

Garage Dog 65
01-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Great info G !

Have you seen the table Jesse James has ?? OMG ! $10,000 just for the table - and he's spent more then that for all his jigs/fixtures/clamps and such.

Jim

GregWeld
01-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Cool idea. How big is it?

It's 3' X 3'.... The grates are made out of 3/8" X 2" and are 1' X 3' --- so I bought 3 of them and made a square table out of it...

So get this --- I paid $5 (FIVE DOLLARS) for each grate... they weigh 120 POUNDS each and were brand spanking new. I think I could have scrapped them and made money! I'll post up a picture.

GregWeld
01-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Great info G !

Have you seen the table Jesse James has ?? OMG ! $10,000 just for the table - and he's spent more then that for all his jigs/fixtures/clamps and such.

Jim

Yes - but he's earning a living using it -- we're not. :rofl:

Garage Dog 65
01-05-2010, 12:31 PM
I never have an opinion either...

THAT's why we like you !

ccracin
01-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Boy, it would be nice to have a 3D model of that beast!!!!!!!!! Hmmmmmmm.

Or you could use an old school desk and a pice of sheet metal like I do! :unibrow:

GregWeld
01-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Here's my CUTTING TABLE made from the surplus grates:

I made it to fit just under the side door on my blast cabinet - that way I can use it to load or unload on -- and it's on wheels so I can pull it out to use it anywhere in the shop.

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad33/gregweld/Welding%20and%20Cutting%20Tables/DSC_7655.jpg

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad33/gregweld/Welding%20and%20Cutting%20Tables/DSC_7657.jpg

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad33/gregweld/Welding%20and%20Cutting%20Tables/DSC_7658.jpg

youthpastor
01-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Here's my CUTTING TABLE made from the surplus grates:

I made it to fit just under the side door on my blast cabinet - that way I can use it to load or unload on -- and it's on wheels so I can pull it out to use it anywhere in the shop.

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad33/gregweld/Welding%20and%20Cutting%20Tables/DSC_7655.jpg

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad33/gregweld/Welding%20and%20Cutting%20Tables/DSC_7657.jpg

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad33/gregweld/Welding%20and%20Cutting%20Tables/DSC_7658.jpg

HMMMM...."CAN I BORROW THAT TOO:lol: :lol: "

GregWeld
01-05-2010, 01:48 PM
This is the welding/work table I made from a 1/2" sheet of steel... I added the "square post" at one end so I could drop some power there - and then later added the "peg board" cantilevered out so I could hang some "stuff" on... it keeps most of the table clear and I haven't run into any interference problems "yet". I use the POST for spools of wire storage and to 'stick' various vise jaw cushions to etc.

I mounted my Beverly shear to one leg ---- and on the other end - mounted my braided steel cutting saw...

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad33/gregweld/Welding%20and%20Cutting%20Tables/DSC_7662.jpg

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad33/gregweld/Welding%20and%20Cutting%20Tables/DSC_7661.jpg

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad33/gregweld/Welding%20and%20Cutting%20Tables/DSC_7669.jpg

GregWeld
01-05-2010, 02:09 PM
Chris (Youthpastor) ----- What's mine is yours buddy!! :willy: :hail: :lol:

GregWeld
01-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Made this "clamp" holder from some square tubing... and it hangs down from the ceiling... I find hanging them overhead --- is easier for me to find the one I want - than when I had them down lower... But what the heck -- I'm old... so what do I know...

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad33/gregweld/Welding%20and%20Cutting%20Tables/DSC_7668.jpg

GregWeld
01-05-2010, 02:21 PM
BTW -- If you happened to notice the "corrugated" galvanized steel "overhead" -- that was a good use of some left overs. I found that if I put it up (bends easy) between the floor joists... and then put the fluorescent lights up -- it made a great REFLECTOR.... HUGE difference in the 'down light' I got from them!!

Vegas69
01-05-2010, 02:44 PM
I tell you what, that shop looks like it almost gets used.:D

Garage Dog 65
01-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Table designed with removable/flipable top with levelers.

Grinder Rack on side.

Another good idea is a shelf designed with a grate - to let all the weld trash and shop dust to drop thru.

wiedemab
01-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Here is my monstrosity of a work bench. Way, way Heavy! - - but I picked up these platens out of an injection molding machine at an auction for super cheap, so what the hell.

Here are the plates
http://www.wiedos.com/Forum%20Pics/WB1.jpg

I built it upside down and used the neighbors loader to flip it over - did I say it's Heavy!
http://www.wiedos.com/Forum%20Pics/WB6.jpg

http://www.wiedos.com/Forum%20Pics/WB13.jpg
http://www.wiedos.com/Forum%20Pics/WB14.jpg
http://www.wiedos.com/Forum%20Pics/WB15.jpg

I built it upside down and used the neighbors loader to flip it over - did I say it's Heavy!

We have several things mounted to it and continue to come up with other ways to mount stuff to it. I use the holes in the plates for all sorts of things. I've also drilled and tapped additional holes as needed.

GregWeld
01-05-2010, 04:30 PM
I tell you what, that shop looks like it almost gets used.:D

Nope... just read my signature... that tells you all you need to know!:wow: :lol:

GregWeld
01-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Table designed with removable/flipable top with levelers.

Grinder Rack on side.

Another good idea is a shelf designed with a grate - to let all the weld trash and shop dust to drop thru.

That's a good looking design - and I like that it rolls...

RomsMotors
01-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Here are a few pictures of my welding table that I built for my shop. The top is 3'x6'x1/2". The table top is about 30" high. The base is made out of 2x2x.250" uprights and the crossmembers is 2"x3"x.250. The top is bolted to the frame for the ease of replacement if it ever gets damaged. I had the frame powder coated. I also added two peices of tubing across the end to hang clamps.

GregWeld
01-05-2010, 09:33 PM
That's a beauty Scott!

RomsMotors
01-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Thanks, at first I don't want to use it after I got it done. It look to nice. But I built it to use it. The table has been a handy piece of equipment to have around the shop.

Garage Dog 65
01-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Very nice Scott !!

Can you tell us who makes the levelers ?

How much over hang is there on the table top - and is that enough in your experience using it ?

Beautiful job !

GregWeld
01-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Jim --

I didn't do any 'under table support' on the front of my table - with the exception of a leg to table top brace... Where as on the sides and all across the back side - I used 3" angle iron welded intermittently to make sure the top stayed flat.

The reason nothing in front - CLAMPING... I wanted a place to be able to use any kind of clamp without under table interference. In the back - I stepped in about 6 inches...

My floor is level - so I didn't have to do levelers of any kind.

Garage Dog 65
01-05-2010, 10:24 PM
General questions for everyone:

Do you prefer to weld setting down or standing up ? I see most of these tables have cross bars on all corners - while a couple designs would allow you to sit down and slide under the table a bit on a stool to get up close to the work.

Some of these are pretty tall too. Bar stools or standing and leaning over ?

Grounding thru the table or directly to the part ? If thru table - are you using the clamp, a stud/stub, or bolted on style of connection ?

GregWeld
01-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Since I'm right here -- I'll jump on a reply.

I have an "office chair" and a shop stool - either one will saddle up nicely... no interference at all....

Welding depends on WHAT you're working on... normally though - I'm sitting on the office style chair if I'm TIG welding -- and standing when I'm MIG welding... I never MIG any small parts... only big ugly looking stuff :rofl:

Welding is an "all position" proposition -- regardless of where when how and who...

You notice in one of my photos -- a copper strap? I use that sometimes under the ground clamp - and sometimes laying on a piece for holding and grounding -- and sometimes behind a hole I'm trying to fill (since welding won't stick to it).

In my "shed" I use a MAG clamp on my MIG and a spring loaded ground clamp on the TIG... I just snap either one on the table... I want my "machines" MOBILE... in a hot rod shop (shed) because you never know what you're going to be working on - or which of your buddies limps in with some broken "whatever".

RomsMotors
01-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Very nice Scott !!

Can you tell us who makes the levelers ?

How much over hang is there on the table top - and is that enough in your experience using it ?

Beautiful job !

I don't know the manufacturer of the levelers. I did order them thru McMaster-Carr out of Chicago. They have 3/4-10 stud with a 2.5" dia. foot. The hang over is 3" for the most part it fine, but I have had some item on the table where I wished it was a larger hang over. I also have drill and tap hole in the surface and used hold down clamps. It’s hard to build a table that will work perfect for every job that you build.

GregWeld
01-05-2010, 11:43 PM
McMasterscarr.com

Check page 1354 of their catalog --
Type 304 Stainless Steel Vibration-Damping Swivel Leveling Mounts

ccracin
01-06-2010, 07:08 AM
McMasterscarr.com

Check page 1354 of their catalog --
Type 304 Stainless Steel Vibration-Damping Swivel Leveling Mounts

Greg, I thought you were good. We need a catalog number! DAH! :_paranoid :rofl: You gotta take take them when they are offered! :hail:

GregWeld
01-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Google McMaster Carr

Go to their HUGE catalog (they sell 480,000 items)

Search "Swivel Level" and it will take you to the first page for this "type" of leveling foot.... which is on their page 1350... then you can toggle through from there - and the ones that were posted look like the version on page 1354...

There are "hundreds" when you look at the SIZES --- which is why I didn't post a particular part number.

:lateral: :cheers: :woot:

Garage Dog 65
01-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Looking last night for levelers and found a couple additional sources.

Sunnex has a full line of nice stuff. Check the mounts section - about 6 different kinds.

http://www.sunnexonline.com/mounts

Also here:

www1.MSCDirect.com floor locks section

You could also do a home built deal with a 5/8's threaded rod through a sleeve tube , couple nuts, washers, and a rubber/nylon foot. Weld the lower nut to the bottom of the sleeve and maybe weld a cheap 3/8's or 1/2 inch socket to the top. Just a thought give this economy....

Jim

sniper
01-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Here is mine. It's 56" by 36". 3/4" top plate. I plan on doing something to be able to set up jigs, but have not gotten that far just yet.
I used angle iron flipped outwards, for the top rails and support instead of square tubing. That gives me a nice clamping overhang. Lockable casters as well. I try to keep everything mobile in my shop, so that my space if more flexible. I can manuever everything to suit the job.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/armyB4/welding%20table/6Jano2010068.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/armyB4/welding%20table/6Jano2010066.jpg

Garage Dog 65
01-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Nice work !

Another good idea with the angle iron. You could also use that concept and attach a couple to the side rails and you could clamp c-clamps on to it.

Couldn't find a bigger vise ?? :P

Thx ! Jim

sniper
01-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Couldn't find a bigger vise ?? :P

Thx ! Jim
:unibrow: I broke the last one I had beating on it, so I stepped up a little. But it's not really the big, the pic makes it look that way.

I like that cutting table greg has. I'll have to keep my eyes open for some grating material to make ono of those.

ccracin
01-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Google McMaster Carr

Go to their HUGE catalog (they sell 480,000 items)

Search "Swivel Level" and it will take you to the first page for this "type" of leveling foot.... which is on their page 1350... then you can toggle through from there - and the ones that were posted look like the version on page 1354...

There are "hundreds" when you look at the SIZES --- which is why I didn't post a particular part number.

I was just messing with yah, back in the cave man days of printed catalogs you also had to indicate which catalog number you were using along with the page number. There web site is much easier to use. Oh and I hope I didn't offend any cave men!

Honestly you people have got to stop. I don't need any more projects. I have a truck to build! :willy:

GregWeld
01-06-2010, 10:30 AM
@Chad

After I quickly went to get you more info -- I re-read your post and realized you were tugging my chain... but had already hit the submit button.

Note that the SUNNEX is a BRAND -- can't order from them - after checking out their website - which has killer stuff - they refer you to a "supplier" -- one of which is McMaster Carr... LOL

@JIM

Agree with you - leg levelers are something a guy can make - most likely, out of stuff laying around the shop... if you can't make a table - and some type of leveling -- you should probably stop and take your car to a shop, right? LOL

rwhite692
01-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Greg, This is a very nice table, I see only one problem....

http://inlinethumb20.webshots.com/17875/2637855320011691741S600x600Q85.jpg

Where are the Steaks?

Tig Man
01-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Mine is 5' x 15'. It is 1/2" top plate one piece with 8" I beams. Plumbed for air fittings and wired with outlets.

Mark

GregWeld
01-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Greg, This is a very nice table, I see only one problem....

http://inlinethumb20.webshots.com/17875/2637855320011691741S600x600Q85.jpg

Where are the Steaks?

Rob ---

CUT FIRST -- THEN COOK... got to preheat!!

RomsMotors
01-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Another source for the levering feet is www.reidsupply.com

Garage Dog 65
01-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Found some more interesting designs and accessories.

I like the idea of a pull out roller drawer up under the table top to store common welding tools and stuff (gloves, picks, wire brushes, etc) and the bottom should be mesh/grate like the one's shown below.

Mine will be placed up against the wall most of the time - so I plan to put up the screen (removable) like the Miller ArcStation LS below. That way I can grind into the screen and not spray all over my garage.

Check the tool rest on the Miller ArcStation on the right side - it has 'slots' for the grinder wheels to drop into. That's a nice piece.

Think I'll build a 6 in deep cabinet under the top on the back plain with shelves inside to store consumables.

I almost have mine figured out - how about you ??

Jim

GregWeld
01-06-2010, 11:38 PM
Jim --

Love the Miller version --

I like the way the one guy used a tool box for his drawers.

A couple of the other tables would be hard to clamp to. Clamping is critical for me.

What's this whining about grinding and sparks in the garage.... ?? Dude! (Spicolli) is this your man cave or are you wearing an apron? :rofl:

ccracin
01-07-2010, 07:00 AM
Jim --
What's this whining about grinding and sparks in the garage.... ?? Dude! (Spicolli) is this your man cave or are you wearing an apron? :rofl:

Have you seen pictures of this garage? I've been in Hospitals that aren't that clean! :bow:

Jim,

Send me the sketches and I'll model it for you!

Garage Dog 65
01-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Dude! (Spicolli) is this your man cave or are you wearing an apron? :rofl:

:rofl: LOL ! Leather Shop Apron with skulls and demons ?? :lol:

My shop is in my garage - so I have the wife's car and my truck in there. Plus, I just don't like to clean for hours to get all the grinding crud off all the shelves, TV, deep freeze, tools and tool boxes, etc. Then the carpets get dirty, the wife gets involved and she takes away all my play money ....

:cheers:

Garage Dog 65
01-07-2010, 09:39 AM

Thanks Chad !!

GregWeld
01-07-2010, 09:53 AM
:rofl: LOL ! Leather Shop Apron with skulls and demons ?? :lol:

My shop is in my garage - so I have the wife's car and my truck in there. Plus, I just don't like to clean for hours to get all the grinding crud off all the shelves, TV, deep freeze, tools and tool boxes, etc. Then the carpets get dirty, the wife gets involved and she takes away all my play money ....

:cheers:

Been there buddy... been there most of my life. It gets worse when you live up here in the Pacific NorthWET and you make your wife park outside for a few months while you're doing a teardown... Then you get the daily teeth marks in your butt... :lol:

You need a "dust collector system" with spark arrester pre-filter!

rwhite692
01-07-2010, 10:40 AM
I like that green table with the threaded holes for clamping. My Dad used to have something similar, the holes were countersunk quite deeply so that they wouldn't get damaged if stuff was dragged across the table, etc.

I think I will make one with a 3/4 plate and lay out a grid on maybe 6" centers on which to drill and tap holes. Use a portable magnetic drill press to drill the holes. Should be fun. Added to my project list at position #146.

on that Miller station, the way that they made a little fixture to hold the 4" grinder by the wheel. That's a good idea.

rwhite692
01-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Mine is 5' x 15'. It is 1/2" top plate one piece with 8" I beams. Plumbed for air fittings and wired with outlets.

Mark

Mark- That is one serious table, nice job.

GregWeld
01-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Check out the tables and the accessories for them...

This is just ONE page of the catalog posted as an easy link.

http://www.bluco.com/welding/catalogd16/tables.html

rwhite692
01-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Here is a video w/the Bluco table.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN9h4Xilgn4&feature=player_embedded

GregWeld
01-07-2010, 02:21 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Yep Rob!!

The only difference between "our" tables and his -- is about 10 GRAND... :rofl:

Roadbuster
01-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Lots of good info here!
Mine on paper is 30 inches by 60 inches. Was planning on having holes around the frame under the top to bolt things to and a vice mounted. I was thinking of a 1/8 inch thick top shimmed level and bolted to the top but from everyone's posts that seems too thin. I was also planning on having the front open so I could roll things under it when not in use. Looks like I have to go to back to the drawing table and work on table mkII.

30 inches is the max width because I have to get through a door that is 31 inches wide.

Jon

Garage Dog 65
01-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Hi Jon,

The Miller ArcStation above is also 30 x 60. Looks like I'll go with 36 x 36 or a 36 x 48 with a 3 or 4 inch overhang back to where the top support connects to the top for a clamp edge - while I'll also add a 1/2 x 13 grid of threaded holes inside the support so I can clamp Enco machine clamps as hold-downs in the grid.

1/4 top is to thin IMO. I'm going minumum 1/2.

Nothing wrong with redesign since you're still in the paper stage. That's the best time to make a change and is the reason I started looking for ideas before I chopped up a bunch of steel.

Jim

Garage Dog 65
01-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Here is a top leveler design from the guys at offroadfab site that looks interesting if you need to have a very flat surface over time.

"The 1/2" plate top had five pieces of 1/2" x 1 3/4" bar stock welded to the underside of it, perpendicular to its length. So because of this the plate had a substantial bow to it. I needed to have a way to pull the middle of the plate back down (flat) so I welded three all-thread studs to each of the stringers making for a total of 15 studs. The studs are welded on the stringers at 16" centers giving me a left a right and a middle. On the frame that I built for the table I made five crossmembers with three tabs each to correspond with the all-thread, the all-thread studs pass through the tabs with a nut top and bottom each tab. Having a nut top and bottom lets me either pull the plate down (with the bottom nut) or jack the plate up (with the top nut). The plate only rests on the frame at the four corners (the 2 x 4 tube is welded 1/4" down from the top of the corner legs) so that if there was any bow in the frame upwards (which there wasn't) I would be able to still pull the plate to flat. Then it was just a matter of pulling or jacking with the nuts on the all-thread studs and the use of a straight edge to get the plate flat. It seemed to work well and if I did it again I would do it the same way."

Jim

Garage Dog 65
01-08-2010, 09:24 PM
More interesting accessories.

Pull out tray with grid for torch/plasma cutting.

Installed grid with pull out stainless dump pan under top.

Dual round tube welded (or bolted) to leg with opening in middle to bend sheet/thin plate - 2 different sizes installed. (can store rod inside of tubes too)

A simple hangar bar

And one has tube openings in mid-leg to insert brackets to hold steel and tooling mounts. (some at the table height too work the same) I also saw one table designed with a telescopic table top end on the left side that had smaller dia tubes sliding the full length out of the upper top mount tubes (think expandable dining room table top). That allowed him to expand the table several feet bigger when needed. I'll see if I can find that again.

Jim

Garage Dog 65
01-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Levelers and retractable caster ideas.

Jim

GregWeld
01-08-2010, 09:58 PM
So here's the COMMON theme amongst most all of them:

They're HEAVILY built - with big heavy tops - heavy legs - and they're sturdy.

I don't want to see any more METAL working tables with particle board tops - that's just WRONG! :willy: :P

SO get busy building already!! You're over thinking it.

By the way - the 4' X 8' X 1/2" sheet I started with - weighs NINE HUNDRED POUNDS -- so be prepared to lift (somehow) some very heavy stuff! When they loaded the sheet in my PU -- I had them put some "dunnage" (I brought with me) UNDER the back end... I then welded D rings on all 4 corners... Hooked it to my hoist - and slowly pulled forward. I built mine upside-down and then tilted it on its side and then once more til upright - using my lift.

I found that if I put the cheapy car dollys under each leg at one end - I can lift the other with my floor jack and move it wherever I want to.

Garage Dog 65
01-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Neat lock down system. Ball lock. Check link for desc.

http://www.brownmachinerysupply.com/Catalog/index.cfm/27625071F0B221118070C1C513E111D081B0006280B1713050 245221E0107070F1A3C3B28535541

rwhite692
01-09-2010, 10:01 PM
By the way - the 4' X 8' X 1/2" sheet I started with - weighs NINE HUNDRED POUNDS

Closer to 650 pounds, but, still a heavy s.o.b.

GregWeld
01-09-2010, 11:26 PM
Closer to 650 pounds, but, still a heavy s.o.b.

Mine was 24 kt gold plated -- so closer to 900!! :rofl: :rofl:

coolwelder62
01-10-2010, 09:09 PM
1/2 hot roll plate wt.# 20.42 per sq.ft. 32sq.ft.x 20.42# is 653.44 if the plate 48inch x 96inch. 3/4 plate wt# 980.16 FYI

GregWeld
01-10-2010, 09:35 PM
You forgot the weight of the gold I had mine plated....:rofl:

E.rodz
01-11-2010, 02:22 PM
here is my bench that I made with some tubing an old solid core door some old office supplies.fabbed it about ten years ago going to finish it soon. with rod holders for tig filler rods.taking one of the drawers out to move the cooler below with a set of bearing slides to service.the top is 36x72 1/2 plate. and a vice that is MADE IN USA.!
http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu160/erodz/shop%20tools/018.jpg

Garage Dog 65
01-13-2010, 09:06 PM
Jim,

Chad delivered on the models for the welding table - man that guy is good !!

Used many of the ideas posted here. 30 x 48. 1/2 steel top to reduce weight. No front lower cross bar so I can sit under and weld. Levelers with casters. 4 inch grid pattern drilled into the top to accept 3/8 NC machinest clamps and blocks. 2 electrical outlet on the front cross bar (1 left - 1 right) to plug in grinders and stuff. Racks down the left and right legs to hang stuff - in my case left rack is for 1 inch to 10 inch C clamps. The right side is for grinders and fender vise grips on first hanger and normal vise grips on the other. A 12 inch deep shelf on the bottom to hold equipment mounted to 12 x 12 plates that attach to the welding top (shrinkers, tube bender, tube notcher, T-posts, vise, etc) and a removable 3 piece grinding screen to help control the crud spray.

Chad is still adding to the design with a full length drawer under the top to catch the crud coming thru the table grid and we're working on a 5 inch deep cabinet that mounts under the table and between the back 2 legs to store consumables (mig rolls, rod, tips, cups, liners, etc)

And did I say - Chad is the Man ! :thumbsup:

Jim

Roadbuster
01-13-2010, 10:33 PM
Chad delivered on the models for the welding table - man that guy is good !!

Used many of the ideas posted here. 30 x 48. 1/2 steel top to reduce weight. No front lower cross bar so I can sit under and weld. Levelers with casters. 4 inch grid pattern drilled into the top to accept 3/8 NC machinest clamps and blocks. 2 electrical outlet on the front cross bar (1 left - 1 right) to plug in grinders and stuff. Racks down the left and right legs to hang stuff - in my case left rack is for 1 inch to 10 inch C clamps. The right side is for grinders and fender vise grips on first hanger and normal vise grips on the other. A 12 inch deep shelf on the bottom to hold equipment mounted to 12 x 12 plates that attach to the welding top (shrinkers, tube bender, tube notcher, T-posts, vise, etc) and a removable 3 piece grinding screen to help control the crud spray.

Chad is still adding to the design with a full length drawer under the top to catch the crud coming thru the table grid and we're working on a 5 inch deep cabinet that mounts under the table and between the back 2 legs to store consumables (mig rolls, rod, tips, cups, liners, etc)

And did I say - Chad is the Man ! :thumbsup:

Jim

Very nice design! Chad does nice work!

JRouche
01-14-2010, 08:50 PM
This is my work bench. I use it for tig welding. It got kinda filled up with other stuff. 3x8'x1.5". Was kinda heavy to lift up with my lil engine lift. Works for me. Seconds as an anvil :thumbsup: JR

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Jrouche/Weldtable.jpg

Im very limited on space so it has to do double duty. Kinda cramped in my garage..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Jrouche/PM%20site/both.jpg

Garage Dog 65
01-14-2010, 08:54 PM
1.5 thick - man you aren't hurting that table anytime soon !

Info on the machines in there ? Table Mill, and lathes ?

Jim

GregWeld
01-14-2010, 09:18 PM
JR

You can't show "us" pictures of way kool stuff and not spill your guts!! That's just WRONG! :rofl:

Looks like it might be cramped - but cramped with all the right stuff!

BRIAN
01-16-2010, 08:32 PM
1.5 THICK DAMN!! I think you might be overloading it without anything on it. What did that thing weigh??

coolwelder62
01-16-2010, 09:18 PM
#1470.24 + the wt.# of the legs & frame.

JRouche
01-17-2010, 01:41 AM
LOl.. Funny.. Yup, it was a load to lift with the engine lift, a lil at a time to get it up on the legs, was kinda scary..

Machines?? A few. Bridgeport boss cnc converted to ah-ha control. The lil mill on the table is a RF-45 converted to cnc with servos. Its an industrial hobbies system. Got a lil hardinge horizontal on the side. A pretty sweet Monarch 10ee on the floor and across from it my fav southbend 10L lathe with a long bed (love that one). A emco cnc 120 lathe on the other bench top. A 15hp rotary converter drives that. A home built 5hp converter runs the BP. 20" clausing drill press with powered down feed (it doesnt stop for much), servo sensitive drill press, logan metal shaper (my avatar pic), cuttermaster tool bit grinder, baldor carbide grinder, accu-finish lapper for the fine work, milwaukee die filer on the bench, couple of large air compressors, hobart tigwave 250, lincoln mig, thermal dynamics plasma, oxy-act rig, 50 ton press, two wilson rockwell hardness testers, one standard, one superficial, sweet lil paragon digital heat treating oven, 7" bandsaw, abrasive cut off saw, throatless shear (I like!!), small 7" straight shear (worthless), mechanical tubing bender, hydraulic pipe bender, 12" disc grinder, delta 6x48" grinder, two abrasive tumblers, four ultrasonic cleaners, one is a big 2500 watt (not the heating section, thats another 1500 watts) ten gallon unit, five large chests full of accessories for the machines and tooling then four more smaller chests for the tools, granite surface plate for setup, every measuring tool that you could want, full set of gauge pins from .001" to 1" in .001" increments.

The list goes on, its a metalworkers paradise.. I didnt mention the metal stock on hand. Literally thousands of pounds of aluminum, 4140, stainless, hardening steel and mild steel.

I didnt get into the wood working machines. Im not good with wood so some of that work has taken a back seat...

So yup, in my three car garage its tight. But I kinda like it like that. I can turn on my heels and work one machine and pick up a job on the next machine right at arms length. Im used to the tight working envelope. And for some stupid reason I remember where everything is.

Oh, and there is a 62 nova in the garage also.. She doesnt interfere with the metal work. I have a good three feet on each side of her to keep from scratching the primer :)

I love my garage!!!!! Fun to work in and its nice to be able to do what ever comes my way... Dont ask about some of the fun stuff inside the house in my one lil corner of the spare bedroom my wife tries to overlook. There I keep all the sensitive equipment. Like electronics and the stereo zoom microscope... JR

GregWeld
01-17-2010, 11:27 AM
JR

Two things come to mind....

1) Working close with machinery front and back - DO NOT WEAR TIES!

2) The DEA is checking your power meter - they suspect you have a pot growing operation.

I'm so jealous right now! :hail: :hail: :hail:

I'm the opposite of you. I hate being tight for space - so have not bought certain machinery because of that. I do not want to have to move something to use something else. I'm amazed you have that much stuff in there! Wow!

cheapta
01-17-2010, 11:33 AM
Greg-I see Danica likes to hang around in your "shed". Does she do any work or is she just there for decoration??;)

GregWeld
01-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Cheep -

My wife is a VP/Director at a company that we invested in awhile back... they sponsored 3 Indy Light cars for a couple years. That gave us "access" to go to a race and go ANYWHERE at anytime. The light cars race before the big boys do - and share pit space etc. SO -- I got to actually "engage" with Danica - and her husband... as well as many others. She is very nice when a camera is not shoved in her face - or being hounded by the press. SHE IS HOT HOT HOT - a way better 1 footer than you can imagine! Got a few items signed... They now adorn the shop. Note that they hang out in the OPEN not in the bathroom. :rofl: :rofl:

JRouche
01-17-2010, 09:08 PM
JR

Two things come to mind....

1) Working close with machinery front and back - DO NOT WEAR TIES!

2) The DEA is checking your power meter - they suspect you have a pot growing operation.

I'm so jealous right now! :hail: :hail: :hail:

I'm the opposite of you. I hate being tight for space - so have not bought certain machinery because of that. I do not want to have to move something to use something else. I'm amazed you have that much stuff in there! Wow!

Hahaha..

Ok, first.

1. I only wear shorts and flip flops in the shop (I know, bad idea), I keep the tie handy for trash day when I need to roll the barrels out. Gotta look professional for trash day :)

2. I have peeps in the DEA, they already have me black flagged. I go out to look at the meter sometimes and its spinning like a friken top!! I have questioned my wife to see if she has an indoor grow hidden in her undie drawer and she denies it, Im still questioning though, I dont believe her..

And I say I like a tight working environment but thats prolly BS. Id love to have a 20,000sqft shop, but not in the plans yet. And I hate having to move things to use a machine, wont use it then. So all my stuff is positioned to where it can be used without moving anything else, cept for the 50 ton press, its on wheels and it takes a minute to roll it out :) JR

Garage Dog 65
01-21-2010, 11:38 AM
LOl.. Funny.. Yup, it was a load to lift with the engine lift, a lil at a time to get it up on the legs, was kinda scary..

Machines?? A few. Bridgeport boss cnc converted to ah-ha control. The lil mill on the table is a RF-45 converted to cnc with servos. Its an industrial hobbies system. Got a lil hardinge horizontal on the side. A pretty sweet Monarch 10ee on the floor and across from it my fav southbend 10L lathe with a long bed (love that one). A emco cnc 120 lathe on the other bench top. A 15hp rotary converter drives that. A home built 5hp converter runs the BP. 20" clausing drill press with powered down feed (it doesnt stop for much), servo sensitive drill press, logan metal shaper (my avatar pic), cuttermaster tool bit grinder, baldor carbide grinder, accu-finish lapper for the fine work, milwaukee die filer on the bench, couple of large air compressors, hobart tigwave 250, lincoln mig, thermal dynamics plasma, oxy-act rig, 50 ton press, two wilson rockwell hardness testers, one standard, one superficial, sweet lil paragon digital heat treating oven, 7" bandsaw, abrasive cut off saw, throatless shear (I like!!), small 7" straight shear (worthless), mechanical tubing bender, hydraulic pipe bender, 12" disc grinder, delta 6x48" grinder, two abrasive tumblers, four ultrasonic cleaners, one is a big 2500 watt (not the heating section, thats another 1500 watts) ten gallon unit, five large chests full of accessories for the machines and tooling then four more smaller chests for the tools, granite surface plate for setup, every measuring tool that you could want, full set of gauge pins from .001" to 1" in .001" increments.

The list goes on, its a metalworkers paradise.. I didnt mention the metal stock on hand. Literally thousands of pounds of aluminum, 4140, stainless, hardening steel and mild steel.

I didnt get into the wood working machines. Im not good with wood so some of that work has taken a back seat...

So yup, in my three car garage its tight. But I kinda like it like that. I can turn on my heels and work one machine and pick up a job on the next machine right at arms length. Im used to the tight working envelope. And for some stupid reason I remember where everything is.

Oh, and there is a 62 nova in the garage also.. She doesnt interfere with the metal work. I have a good three feet on each side of her to keep from scratching the primer :)

I love my garage!!!!! Fun to work in and its nice to be able to do what ever comes my way... Dont ask about some of the fun stuff inside the house in my one lil corner of the spare bedroom my wife tries to overlook. There I keep all the sensitive equipment. Like electronics and the stereo zoom microscope... JR

I too am very jealous of all those tools JR !!!

Thou shall not commit Shop Envy - oh darn... I'm a goner.

:thumbsup:

Garage Dog 65
01-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Parts that I have ordered are starting to arrive.

Locking casters 4 inch with poly wheels from Grizzly
Levelers from Reid Supply - purdy in nickel finish. Hate to get'em dirty.
Weld Nuts for levelers from my local machine tool center (.60 per pound of stuff)
Heavy duty full extension drawer guides (22 x 2 x ½ and extend fully 23 inches)

I’d go pickup the metal – if it would stop all the raining !!! :willy:

Jim

GregWeld
01-21-2010, 04:47 PM
RAINING -- WE GOT RAINING at BARRETT JACKSON -- I'm thinking the tent might blow away the winds are so strong!!

JRouche
01-23-2010, 12:21 AM
I too am very jealous of all those tools JR !!!

Thou shall not commit Shop Envy - oh darn... I'm a goner.

Damm!! I did bust the rule!!! So solly. Shall I post a pic of my plastic angle gauge? Will that get me back in the gates. LOL And really, I have used the plastic angle deally so many times. I swear by it :) Come on, really, Im a hack by nature. Cant help it, its in the blood. How bout the vast amounts of cardboard I use also? I love thin construction paper. Great for all types of templates. No really, Im as simple as they come.. JR

funnypicture1
01-28-2010, 02:25 AM
Boy, it would be nice to have a 3D model of that beast!!!!!!!!! Hmmmmmmm.

Or you could use an old school desk and a pice of sheet metal like I do! :unibrow:

hehe. I think so.

E.rodz
01-31-2010, 07:16 PM
I finaly got enough motivation from this thread to finish my bench.moved the cooler down under the bench and added another drawer for grinding wheels .the cooler is also in a drawer that pulls out for maintainence and also added some rod holders and a adjustabe fixture for holding up peices to be welded. I think it's done for now.:D
http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu160/erodz/shop%20tools/003-1.jpg
http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu160/erodz/shop%20tools/007-1.jpg

JRouche
02-07-2010, 10:07 PM
I finaly got enough motivation from this thread to finish my bench.moved the cooler down under the bench and added another drawer for grinding wheels .the cooler is also in a drawer that pulls out for maintainence and also added some rod holders and a adjustabe fixture for holding up peices to be welded. I think it's done for now.:D

I love that bench!! It holds all the equipment.. Oh, and you have too much floor space!!! Want to rent some out??? Im jealous!!! JR

jmarsa
02-09-2010, 10:44 AM
I have a chance to pick up locally two (used) very large 1 inch plates that are grid drilled and are 96"x54" and 96"x48" that I'm thinking of having cut up into smaller pieces.

Would $250 for a 4'x4' or 4'x3' drilled top be reasonable?

--JMarsa

Fluid Power
02-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Jason,

Are you asking is that a good price to have them cut?

Darren

jmarsa
02-09-2010, 12:54 PM
No I was referring to the unit price for a drilled, cut top - $250 for a 4x3 top to use on a welding table.

--JMarsa

Garage Dog 65
02-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Not sure where you live at J - but I checked here in indy locally and the price for new 1/2 inch steel plate @ 4 foot by 4 foot is $250 - not including the additional costs to add the grid. Some folks here have found plate used at lower costs. I have been looking for some used 3/4 or 5/8 plate for my project and haven't had much luck yet....

Jim

jmarsa
02-09-2010, 07:07 PM
I was looking for 1/2" too.

I got some quotes today on cutting up the large plate. Under $150 to plasma cut and $400 to use a industrial circular saw that has a .25 inch kerf. I need to find out how clean the edge will be on the plasma. It won't be until the end of the week until I get to see the plates.

The other issue is weight. I can move these around but were talking 500# for the 4x3 and 630# for the 4x4 pieces. So potential buyers need to take that into account for handling and or shipping.

--JMarsa

GregWeld
02-09-2010, 07:14 PM
J ==

I plasma cut my own "end" off my 1/2" 4'X8' shop table... it's not nice and smooth despite clamping a guide. While they call it plasma - it ain't magic and is still a burn through... BUT --- BIG BUT --

I fixededededed it - by PLUG WELDING a 1-1/2" angle iron over the cut edge and made certain it was SQUARE to the other two edges. By plug welding it - it gave me an edge to push a tape measure from - as well as pulling a measurement from the "edge". It's actually worked out to be quite handy!

GregWeld
02-09-2010, 07:17 PM
J ---

If you look closely -- at the FAR EDGE in this photo -- you can see (barely) the small lip the angle iron makes. And as I said above - this allows me to square up something using the lipped edge - or pulling a measurement off of it (pushing the tape against it)...

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad33/gregweld/Welding%20and%20Cutting%20Tables/DSC_7661.jpg

jmarsa
02-09-2010, 07:35 PM
Greg, that's a great tip! I really like that idea.

I would sure save some $$ going the plasma route.

--JMarsa

GregWeld
02-09-2010, 07:39 PM
That was what I was leading up to.... I just ground off the "slag" so the table was FLAT -- and put a nice edge over the cut...

Save that money and buy some good stuff!!

JRouche
02-09-2010, 11:18 PM
J ==

I fixededededed it - by PLUG WELDING a 1-1/2" angle iron over the cut edge and made certain it was SQUARE to the other two edges. By plug welding it - it gave me an edge to push a tape measure from - as well as pulling a measurement from the "edge". It's actually worked out to be quite handy!

I like that tip. Always nice to have a straight edge to pull from, or butt up against. Neat.. JR

Jim Nilsen
02-14-2010, 12:36 PM
J ---

If you look closely -- at the FAR EDGE in this photo -- you can see (barely) the small lip the angle iron makes. And as I said above - this allows me to square up something using the lipped edge - or pulling a measurement off of it (pushing the tape against it)...

I want Beverly. How often do you play with her ?

GregWeld
02-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Jim ---

You have a bad case of Beverly envy do you? :rofl:

I use it "all the time" -- and if not for my self - for doing something for a buddy. IT IS THE ALL TIME EASIST piece of equipment in my shed! Used it Friday!

Mine is the #2 -- figured to have it cut thicker gauge - better to have it and not need it - then need it and not have it.

THAT and my cold cut saw.... can't pry my cold dead fingers off of either of these pieces!

Mounted it so that one piece of the cut will go under and the other 'over'....

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad33/gregweld/Welding%20and%20Cutting%20Tables/DSC_7662.jpg

E.rodz
02-14-2010, 09:09 PM
I love that bench!! It holds all the equipment.. Oh, and you have too much floor space!!! Want to rent some out??? Im jealous!!! JR

ha lol. all the floor space that I have has been ocupied by stuff for about a year and a half.just finaly making some progress on my shop reorganizing and finishing project hopefully I will be able to see some more floor space soon.:D

Garage Dog 65
03-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Purchased the materials this weekend and got them cut to size. Dropped off the 1/2 plate table top at the waterjet shop to have the corners radus cut and the 3/8th bolt grid cut.

3 x 3 legs with 2 x 3 under table support.
2 x 2 lower shelf support.
1/2 rod cross bars to hang grinders, clamps, and vise grips on.
Levelers, weld nuts and 1/4 mounting plates.
Casters with 1/4 inch mount plates.
Electrical conduit, boxes, outlets, plates and supply cable will go inside the tubes - with one box on either side of the under table supports.
5 pieces of 12 x 12 x 1/4 for mounting tools that will then bolt to the table grid.
There will be a pull out drawer just inder the table grid to catch crud - and hold some tools.

Once I get the top back - I'll build the shelf, drawer and the removable top surround.

Jim

ccracin
03-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Looking great Jim. Was the water jet guy able to use the files? Let me know if he has any trouble. I had the files open to do some more detailing at lunch toady and then things went south. Let me know if you need details on any part soon and I can get them for you. I still haven't been able to upgrade my software at home. What a pain. Anyway, looks great and let me know what you might need.:thumbsup:

Garage Dog 65
03-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Hey Chad !

Hope you're done moving snow !

No problems on the file - he opened them and everything is good. Getting ready to weld Bro !

Thx for the engineering and CAD help !! :bow:

Jim

Garage Dog 65
03-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Top is here.

1/2 plate with a 5/16th holes grid 4 on 4 center. I have to tap each hole to 3/8 x 16 so I can use all my machinest clamps and 1-2-3 blocks.

That's a lot of holes to tap.... wonder how many beers that will take ... :cheers:

Jim

ironworks
03-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Well I guess I will have to show the table my High school intern is building in the afternoons. 37" tall, .5 inch plate with water jet holes for grid pattern. 4' x 16'. My plan is for this to be a production table for chassis designs. We will have fixtures that bolt to the table for different chassis's. This way we can design and cut all the parts, tooling and fixtures for a certain chassis to bolt to this table.

But underneath will be a material storage rack. The long side support rails will be open instead of miter cut corners to store stainless brake and fuel line plumbing inside with out damage.

I have been thinking about this one for weeks. I wish I would have seen this thread sooner. So good ideas in here.

Garage Dog 65
03-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Wish I had all your money !

:lol:

Looking forward to those pics !

ironworks
03-02-2010, 05:44 PM
I wish I had your time. :D

mikeb
03-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Top is here.

1/2 plate with a 5/16th holes grid 4 on 4 center. I have to tap each hole to 3/8 x 16 so I can use all my machinest clamps and 1-2-3 blocks.

Jim

If you don't mind answering, how much did you pay for the half inch plate?

Garage Dog 65
03-02-2010, 08:04 PM
If you don't mind answering, how much did you pay for the half inch plate?

Cost was $140 It was 34 x 48 before being cut to final size or 32 by 48, They needed 1 inch on 2 sides for hold down clamps during the waterjet operation. You should be able to find cheaper as scrap - but I looked for a couple weeks and decided to go to my local steel vendor and buy new.

Jim

syborg tt
03-02-2010, 09:06 PM

lol - that was an awesome reply

Garage Dog 65
03-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Oh sure, pick on the unemployed guy .... very funny !

jmarsa
03-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Sorry to the OP for the hijack, this is really for those that are looking to make a table like I was.

If anyone is looking for some 1" plate that's already drilled and tapped on 4" centers (1/2") I'm in the process of having a 4'x8' and a 4'x'6 section cut up.

I'm near Detroit. Price = $250 per 4'x'3 section. PM if interested.

--JMarsa

mikeb
03-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Cost was $140 It was 34 x 48 before being cut to final size or 32 by 48, They needed 1 inch on 2 sides for hold down clamps during the waterjet operation. You should be able to find cheaper as scrap - but I looked for a couple weeks and decided to go to my local steel vendor and buy new.

Jim

I was looking for scrap as well, but I don't quite know where to look. The steel plate I have found as scrap has been 1/4 inch. How much does the 32x48 plate weigh?

This thread is great for someone thinking about building a welding table. There are a lot great design features to take.

jmarsa
03-02-2010, 10:05 PM
I happened to find mine on craigslist. I've also seen them at my local steel recycling/scrap yard.

--JMarsa

JRouche
03-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Top is here.

That's a lot of holes to tap.... wonder how many beers that will take ... :cheers:

Jim

I like that plate!!! Gonna make a nice setup plate for whatever comes your way. And tapping the holes is gonna be fun. But a nice new quality tap and some fluid will make it a breeze. Oh, and some tapping fluid might help too :) JR

GMracer
03-03-2010, 09:30 AM

I'm thinking of doing the same thing for my bench, all drilled and tapped so I can make fixtures. Awesome thread

Garage Dog 65
03-03-2010, 01:22 PM
I was looking for scrap as well, but I don't quite know where to look. The steel plate I have found as scrap has been 1/4 inch. How much does the 32x48 plate weigh?

This thread is great for someone thinking about building a welding table. There are a lot great design features to take.

Hi Mike,

.250 by 32 by 48 steel plate weighs 108.79 lbs.

Here's an online calculator:

http://www.portlandbolt.com/steel-plate-weight.html

Jim

mikeb
03-03-2010, 08:15 PM
Hi Mike,

.250 by 32 by 48 steel plate weights 108.79 lbs.

Here's an online calculator:

http://www.portlandbolt.com/steel-plate-weight.html

Jim

I weigh 140 lbs. How do you guys put these tables together?

jmarsa
03-03-2010, 08:28 PM
I must have been 12 the last I weighed that little :yes:

My plate is getting moved with my cherry picker.

--JMarsa

GregWeld
03-03-2010, 08:29 PM
I weigh 140 lbs. How do you guys put these tables together?

I had to build mine upside-down -- on the floor of my shop - then lift it and flip it with my 9000 lb two post lift... and a couple big chains!

A smaller table can be lifted and or moved with an engine hoist... etc.

jmarsa
03-03-2010, 10:02 PM
This might sound dumb, but I'm not an engineer, I just play one at home. :lol:

My plate is 4'x6'x1" thick and has 1/2" holes already drilled so I was thinking of caping the legs with a plate and then bolting it to the underside of the top. I like the idea that I can disassemble it and move it if needed. I'll tie the legs toghether too, but my question is is there a need for a base around the perimeter? Any chance this could sag over time given a 5' span between legs?

--JMarsa

ironworks
03-04-2010, 06:27 PM
Alright check out what the big boys do.

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php/63429-Fixture-Table!!!!!!!!

67Sally
03-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Alright check out what the big boys do.

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php/63429-Fixture-Table!!!!!!!!

I love it when you share :thumbsup:
W

Garage Dog 65
04-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Got a chance to start putting the welding table together… Finally.

All welded together – hangars located and temporary installed. I changed the design to make them removable and adjustable. They will be stainless and I’ll install them after paint. There will be a washers up against the leg – with a hole drilled thru the bar for a hairpin to keep it in place while being able to adjust it in the future for changes in tools. Left side is c-clamp storage. Right side is vice-grip storage. I added a tool rack on the right side to hold all the standard fab tools. Found a nice bolt on unit that holds everything in a compact format. (it’s located at www.swagoffroad.com). The cross support under the table is where I’ll store tools that will bolt to the table top when needed (vise, tube notcher, Beverly shear, etc) Added a 58 piece machinist clamp set so I can clamp directly to the hole pattern (3/8 x 16 NC) I punched into the table top. The draw glides are located and installed.

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/Garage_Dog_65/Welding%20table/Table-02.jpg
http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/Garage_Dog_65/Welding%20table/Materials.jpg
http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/Garage_Dog_65/Welding%20table/Weld-T-01.jpg
http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/Garage_Dog_65/Welding%20table/Weld-T-02.jpg
http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/Garage_Dog_65/Welding%20table/Weld-T-03.jpg
http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/Garage_Dog_65/Welding%20table/Weld-T-04.jpg
http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/Garage_Dog_65/Welding%20table/Weld-T-05.jpg
http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/Garage_Dog_65/Welding%20table/Weld-T-06.jpg

Next is to build the drawer and the removable splatter guard that bolts to the table top – and sand down the table top and sides so they are nice and shinny.

Off to the sand blaster this week and then to paint. I’ll update when it’s completed.

Jim

GregWeld
04-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Looks great Jim --

JIMHO -- Make the splatter guard sit in slots so it's QUICKLY removable. Everything you do will have you bolting and unbolting the guard.

BTW.... Just poking you here 'cause your work on this project is killer nice.... what's with the masking tape holding the cover plates. Dude! You have enough clamps that you could have held 'em on there hot rod style!:rofl:

GregWeld
04-11-2011, 06:35 PM
PS -- I just ordered two of the "clutter catchers". I was planning to give you major crap for designing (I imagined hours of thinking and tweaking) and then having this piece laser cut.... but lucky for me I clicked the link and saw this killer piece first!

Thanks for finding it and posting it up! :thumbsup:

ccracin
04-11-2011, 06:43 PM
You have been holding out on me! Glad to see you making some garage time. Looks great! :woot:

GregWeld
04-11-2011, 06:47 PM
I use the Beverly shear all the time so mounted it on one leg.....

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad33/gregweld/Ricks%2055%20on%20the%20ground/Shop%20equipment/DSC_7662.jpg

65 347
04-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Just an idea, weld on a 2" id box tube under the table, then mount your vise or any other tool on a plate welded to a 2' od box tube. Works like a trailer hitch with a pin. Very strong and can be removed

Fluid Power
04-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Good ideas guys!

Darren

OneZero1
06-24-2011, 03:02 AM
:thumbsup: Great thread!

Gandalf
06-24-2011, 11:31 AM
Just an idea, weld on a 2" id box tube under the table, then mount your vise or any other tool on a plate welded to a 2' od box tube. Works like a trailer hitch with a pin. Very strong and can be removed

I dig this idea BIG TIME! Thanks guys!

Nice work Jim! Very professional.

chevyIIpost
07-13-2011, 08:58 AM
I made this one about a year ago primarily for welding and Fab work. It is also used by other co-workers at my work that are heavy fisted and not always 10% smarter than what they are working on so the frame may be a little over built. It is 2x4 x3/16. The top is just 1/2" plate that is 4'x8'. I like an overhang on my tables for clamping and set up. But that can be a fine line between strength or stiffness and ease of use. If your not conscientious about the over hang it can get tweaked. It also has drilled holes in the top that are threaded for attachment points and lifting eyes. We have a Gaffey gantry crane to move the 1000lb table with. I built the base to keep the legs out of my way and give max clearance. The center cross member at the floor is actually raised to make clean up easier so it doesn't trap debris. The leg configuration has also helped when the floor is less than flat or even. It has a 1/2 inch bolt threaded in at all 4 corner legs to attach you ground clamp to and cross bars at each end to hang clamps on that keep the working area more free of tools.

Garage Dog 65
07-26-2011, 08:54 PM
Frame back from the powder coat. A little time to do electrical and final assy. Electrical conduit installed inside the frame for the electrical outlet runs. Added a cord hanger on the back where the cord exits the frame leg. Casters, levelers and all the clamp rods installed. Bottom of table top is held on with angle brackets, shims and pop-rivets. Some of the holes on the top are thread for machinist clamps - many more to do…. Still need to build the guards and pull out drawer and final polish the top.

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/Garage_Dog_65/Welding%20table/Table01.jpg

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/Garage_Dog_65/Welding%20table/Table02.jpg

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/Garage_Dog_65/Welding%20table/Table03.jpg

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/Garage_Dog_65/Welding%20table/Table04.jpg

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/Garage_Dog_65/Welding%20table/Table05.jpg

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/Garage_Dog_65/Welding%20table/Table06.jpg

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/Garage_Dog_65/Welding%20table/Table07.jpg

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/Garage_Dog_65/Welding%20table/Table08.jpg

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/Garage_Dog_65/Welding%20table/Table09.jpg

Enjoy, Jim

67 LS1 Vert
07-26-2011, 09:27 PM
show off! :thumbsup:

syborg tt
07-26-2011, 09:33 PM
show off! :thumbsup:

I agree - show off :thumbsup:

ironworks
07-26-2011, 11:13 PM
Jim, Is that a chassis table for your car?

HEHE

CRCRFT78
07-27-2011, 01:18 AM
Looks good.

ccracin
07-27-2011, 06:47 AM
Is that a chassis table for your car?
I would think he would want something smaller for that. :unibrow:

Garage Dog 65
07-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Good to have friends....

ironworks
07-27-2011, 05:22 PM
Good to have friends....

We are "JUST SAYIN"....:D

coolwelder62
07-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Look's good,Now it's too nice to work on.:thumbsup:

Ketzer
07-29-2011, 08:25 AM
Nice table. Let's see something being welded on it... (says the kettle).

Jeff-

GregWeld
07-29-2011, 08:59 AM
Jim -- That's not a "welding table" --- that looks a lot nicer than the one my wife calls her living room coffee table.

:hail: :lol:

Ruslow
08-02-2011, 09:48 PM
I see all of these welding tables being made or bought but I have yet to see a fire ext even near one let alone bolted to aleg of one.I built a 4x4 table myself and that was one of the items on my shopping list of materials.Stan

GregWeld
08-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Personally I store an open gasoline container near my table -- and I clean all my parts with CHLORINATED brake cleaner so I can create as much phosgene gas as possible.

Vegas69
08-02-2011, 11:48 PM
I see all of these welding tables being made or bought but I have yet to see a fire ext even near one let alone bolted to aleg of one.I built a 4x4 table myself and that was one of the items on my shopping list of materials.Stan

I suppose you floss your teeth too?:willy:

Garage Dog 65
08-03-2011, 09:42 AM

Hi Stan,

I totally agree with your comment. I didn't mount an extinguisher to the table - but I do have 2 in my shop on opposing walls within quick reach. It would be a good idea to have one on the cart/table. :thumbsup:

Thx !

Jim

ccracin
08-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Hi Stan,

I totally agree with your comment. I didn't mount an extinguisher to the table - but I do have 2 in my shop on opposing walls within quick reach. It would be a good idea to have one on the cart/table. :thumbsup:

Thx !

Jim

Hey, I never agreed to model a fire extinguisher bracket!:P

70rs
08-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Personally I store an open gasoline container near my table -- and I clean all my parts with CHLORINATED brake cleaner so I can create as much phosgene gas as possible.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fire Marshal Bill would be proud of you Greg!

ironworks
08-09-2011, 10:20 AM
I just bought this table last weekend from a guy in AZ. It has a 1" think top plate and is 18 ft long and the middle is 72x72. I also bought 2 tables 4'x4' with hole 6" on center with I think 5/8" plate. This table should work great for transaxle cars.

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt248/ironworksspeed/chassistable6.jpg
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt248/ironworksspeed/Chassistable5.jpg
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt248/ironworksspeed/chassistable4.jpg
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt248/ironworksspeed/chassistable3.jpg
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt248/ironworksspeed/chassistable2.jpg
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt248/ironworksspeed/chassistable1.jpg

Garage Dog 65
08-09-2011, 12:33 PM
That's insane Rodger ! The Ironworks crew will enjoy those for sure !!!

Well Greg, based on Rodgers purchases - looks like I'll have to turn my ugly little welding table into a coffee table too ....

:hail:

Jim

Ketzer
08-09-2011, 01:19 PM
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt248/ironworksspeed/chassistable1.jpg

Sweet! The new top secret long travel Camaro chassis! :rofl:

Jeff-

ironworks
08-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Sweet! The new top secret long travel Camaro chassis! :rofl:

Jeff-

Camaro....... NOPE

I want a Chevy or Raptor Trophy truck or Class one Buggy.

Shoot I would settle for time to just finish my R-1 Rhino.

ccracin
08-09-2011, 03:21 PM
No fair. I can't see the pics. Turn off the Chad blocker Rodger! :mad:

GregWeld
08-09-2011, 05:01 PM
That's insane Rodger ! The Ironworks crew will enjoy those for sure !!!

Well Greg, based on Rodgers purchases - looks like I'll have to turn my ugly little welding table into a coffee table too ....

:hail:

Jim

Yeah - that ain't nuthin'! Mine's at Sherms now getting chromed.... and I'm having them do the legs in gold plate... Then I'm going to add titanium inserts with carbon fiber bolts... and then.... :cheers: :woot: It's going to SW to have the Lamborghini bull put on both ends...

96z28ss
08-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Yeah - that ain't nuthin'! Mine's at Sherms now getting chromed.... and I'm having them do the legs in gold plate... Then I'm going to add titanium inserts with carbon fiber bolts... and then.... :cheers: :woot: It's going to SW to have the Lamborghini bull put on both ends...

I dare you!

Fluid Power
08-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Shoot I would settle for time to just finish my R-1 Rhino.

Damn, Really?

Darren

ironworks
08-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Damn, Really?

Darren

Yeah 2 of my buddies have theirs done, I just need to get some spare time. I have most all the parts. 200 hp in a Rhino is pretty fun.

Ketzer
08-10-2011, 12:10 PM
I just need to get some spare time.

1. With the badass stuff you are turning out, Aint gonna happen.
2. Be careful what you wish for.

Jeff-

Garage Dog 65
09-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Might be some welding table ideas here for attachments or design of your table.

http://www.vansantent.com/welding_accessories/BuildPro_Lit_LQ.pdf

Jim

Garage Dog 65
03-12-2012, 10:13 AM
A little work on the welding table accessories.

I’ve been using it for a bunch of little welding projects and so far it seems to be working out as planned.

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/Garage_Dog_65/Welding%20table/Weld-Table-20.jpg

Built the plates that attach to the table top and started attaching tools to those plates. The plates bolt to the table top with 3/8 studs and nuts. When not in use the tools store on the shelf under the table. The bead roller stores on a shelf under my brake press since it’s so long.

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/Garage_Dog_65/Welding%20table/Weld-Table-21.jpg

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/Garage_Dog_65/Welding%20table/Weld-Table-22.jpg

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/Garage_Dog_65/Welding%20table/Weld-Table-23.jpg

Started the template for the table shield. Then I’ll build the pull out drawer template and polish the top out. I also bought a nice Craftsman hyd adjusted stool with back rest for the table – but I don’t have a pic of that. Maybe add it on the next post.

Jim

syborg tt
03-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Looks Awesome Jim

makoshark
03-13-2012, 07:57 AM
You're not fooling me, that's not a welding table. That's garage furniture:thumbsup:

GregWeld
03-14-2012, 07:43 PM
Jim! You da MAN!!

Love it!!