PDA

View Full Version : Slotting and Crossdrilling Stock rotors?

jjarky
12-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Does anyone know if you can have stock rotors slotted and crossdrilled? If so, who offers this service? Thxs.

WSSix
12-15-2009, 10:53 AM
It's only metal so yeah it can be done. It's a very foolish thing to do though.

jjarky
12-15-2009, 11:01 AM
It's only metal so yeah it can be done. It's a very foolish thing to do though.

why is that?

DRJDVM's '69
12-15-2009, 11:14 AM
I agree....it can be done but is a huge waste of time and $$ and in the end the rotors will probably turn out like sh*t. Especially if its not dont right, you may weaken the rotor enough that it would become dangerous

Search around....you can find drilled and slotted replacement rotors for alot of application at a pretty low price.

jjarky
12-15-2009, 11:20 AM
I agree....it can be done but is a huge waste of time and $$ and in the end the rotors will probably turn out like sh*t. Especially if its not dont right, you may weaken the rotor enough that it would become dangerous

Search around....you can find drilled and slotted replacement rotors for alot of application at a pretty low price.

Thanks for the info. Just having a hard time finding rotors for a 9" out of a 78 mercury marquis. Obviously I have found stock replacements but no aftermarket slotted and crossdrilled replacements. I already have SSBC's for the front, would just like to match the back. Thxs.

mazspeed
12-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Not at all recommended and it will not improve braking performance.

jy211
12-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the info. Just having a hard time finding rotors for a 9" out of a 78 mercury marquis.

Try: http://brakeperformance.com/site/index.php

Cris@JCG
12-15-2009, 11:52 AM
You might want to check & see if Raybestos has them available in drilled & slotted.. Raybestor Brute Stop rotors... Autozone

Thanks for the info. Just having a hard time finding rotors for a 9" out of a 78 mercury marquis. Obviously I have found stock replacements but no aftermarket slotted and crossdrilled replacements. I already have SSBC's for the front, would just like to match the back. Thxs.

byndbad914
12-15-2009, 12:49 PM
do not get drilled rotors, they will have a tendency to crack around the holes - it's an old school technology. Even if they are cast with the holes they will tend to crack. The rear rotors on my Porsche are cast with holes and I am always checking to see how they are doing tho' fortunately one uses little rear brake v. front. My front rotors I get thru Coleman and the like and they are slotted, no holes.

This all assumes you actually use the crap out of the brakes and get large heat cycles in the rotors - for a DD and occassional stomp the pedal car you don't need anything but a simple solid rotor to be frank.

But if you road race like I do then you will want to get slotted rotors, but as folks have implied, make sure to get them from a reputable shop (I don't have a recommendation for your application, sorry). If they are machined too deep they can crack as well. They must be ball end milled and very shallow - they are just a location to release gases. Many aftermarket pad suppliers (of race pads) have designs that are pretty good at getting the gases thru grooves, etc but shallow slots will help.

All the other crap above that tells you slots are not good is BS... simply cruise the net a little and search out pix of REAL race cars and see what they do. Example is the C6-R - I have to assume they have some clue as to what works :thumbsup:

http://www.corvetteracing.com/pictures/2009/gt2-c6r/pages/gt2c6r020_jpg.shtml

those are fancy slots of course but you can get a simpler slot pattern to just move gases for a weekend warrior track car and that will be sufficient.

Another gratuitous shot of what is an awesome fricken race car :unibrow:

http://www.corvetteracing.com/pictures/2009/gt2-c6r/pages/gt2c6r016_jpg.shtml

Lastly, you could consider taking your rear rotors off, talking to Coleman and see if they could use your old one to build a nice hat and rotor assy for you - they you can simply reuse the aluminum hats and swap in cheap-but-good Coleman rotors whenever you need new ones. This is my plan for the rears when I crack one sooner or later or finally wear them out (surprisingly the stock Porsche stuff has lasted me five years now... impressive for a track car tho' they are getting down to min thickness).