PDA

View Full Version : Dare I post this here??

PhaseShift
11-13-2005, 09:39 AM
OK, I am about to start a new project.

Pro touring car? I suppose.... Typical of the cars on this forum? No, not even close.

I am going to take a British car, toss the motor, strip it down, hollow it out and tube frame the thing; perhaps in aluminum. Add some composites here and there and a few machined goodies plus all new bright work, seals and trim and we will have a neat rolling chassis.

Plug in a very slick DOHC / EFI turbo motor from Japan.

The car? Early 70's Mini.
The Motor? Very likely a Daihatsu L602 (with 4 speed auto trans and LSD)
The owner- This will be for my wife

Is anyone here even remotely interested in this? If so, I will post updates and so on....

jannes_z-28
11-13-2005, 09:48 AM
Sounds like a cool thing that fits here, it doesn't have to be a Camaro to be a ProTouring car. But it helps :yes: :D

Jan

PhaseShift
11-13-2005, 09:52 AM
OK, got one international vote. As I see it, that counts for 2 domestic votes since he is paying long distance internet connection fees. ;)

RussMS
11-13-2005, 09:56 AM
I think it is a cool idea. While I am not a huge fan of the Mini, I would like to see the updates. The idea of tubing a car that small sounds like a challenge, but after your Camaro it will probably not be as tough for you.

Sidenote: My wife is also a big mini fan and she wants to follow your progress as well.

Good Luck!

editted cause I can't type.

lil427z
11-13-2005, 10:02 AM
phaseshift , we are all car guys hear . so build what you like mini sounds good. :thumbsup:
rick kirkindall :)

Darkclaw13
11-13-2005, 10:28 AM
Sounds good, you might want to check out this website for some ideas. Kimini (http://www.kimini.com/index.html) You might not want to go as far as this guy did, but still.

evilzee28
11-13-2005, 11:05 AM
OK, I am about to start a new project.

Pro touring car? I suppose.... Typical of the cars on this forum? No, not even close.

I am going to take a British car, toss the motor, strip it down, hollow it out and tube frame the thing; perhaps in aluminum. Add some composites here and there and a few machined goodies plus all new bright work, seals and trim and we will have a neat rolling chassis.

Plug in a very slick DOHC / EFI turbo motor from Japan.

The car? Early 70's Mini.
The Motor? Very likely a Daihatsu L602 (with 4 speed auto trans and LSD)
The owner- This will be for my wife

Is anyone here even remotely interested in this? If so, I will post updates and so on....

here in Britain, home of the Mini, there have been minis built with all sorts of engines from, straight six Jags',small block Chevys', Impreza,even twin engined minis, right down to a twin kawasaki,engine 4 wheel drive (don't ask) mad as abox of frogs. :willy:

awr68
11-13-2005, 11:30 AM
Sonds like a fun project...please keep us updated!! And as always pics are worth a lot around here!! :thumbsup:

almcbri
11-13-2005, 11:47 AM
Post it up! I think it sounds like a great project!

Fluid Power
11-13-2005, 11:56 AM
Sounds like a fun project to me!

Darren