PDA

View Full Version : It's finally here

jannes_z-28
11-11-2005, 05:24 PM
I picked up my LS1 today, after two months of shiping across the oceans I finally got my hands on it.

Now it rests in the garage. It will be a lot of work in the next six months.

Everything looks fine, thanks again to Jody who made this possible, and Ross who took care of the packaging and transport to the overseas carrier.

Here are some pics of it on the trailer when I picked it up.

http://www.protouring.se/files/DSC_3577x.jpg

http://www.protouring.se/files/DSC_3575z.jpg

Jan

rockdogz
11-11-2005, 05:59 PM
Congrats, Jan - Have fun!! Keep snapping those pics as you go! :thumbsup:

Autokraft
11-11-2005, 06:40 PM
Pretty cool Jan,

I bet you can't wait to get that baby bolted in huh. :yes:

Congrats!!

Kurt

www.autokraft.org

almcbri
11-11-2005, 07:17 PM
congrats! what a clean looking set-up. Make sure to get some pics when you get it all hooked up!

hotwheels
11-12-2005, 07:27 AM
awesome jan, that looks awesome

69rs
11-12-2005, 12:43 PM
I wish I was in your position! Congrats! :thumbsup:

awr68
11-12-2005, 06:05 PM
That a boy!! What are the plans for the motor??

jannes_z-28
11-13-2005, 01:55 AM
That a boy!! What are the plans for the motor??

For the moment just to get it in place and make it run. As you know I want it to be driveable every summer.

Then we will see what happens. Eventually it will be souped up, not anything dramatically. Maybe better heads. It will now get headers and less restictive air inlet, that would probably add a few ponies to it.

I have plans for the car for many years to come. Next major thing would be the minitubbing. I will prepare for that now, the new gastank will be narrower so I can move the springs for the minitub.

Jan

awr68
11-13-2005, 02:20 AM
For the moment just to get it in place and make it run. As you know I want it to be driveable every summer.

Then we will see what happens. Eventually it will be souped up, not anything dramatically. Maybe better heads. It will now get headers and less restictive air inlet, that would probably add a few ponies to it.

I have plans for the car for many years to come. Next major thing would be the minitubbing. I will prepare for that now, the new gastank will be narrower so I can move the springs for the minitub.

Jan

Sounds good...just think how much better it will drive after being on a diet...the motor!! :)

Planning now for future mods is the only way to save money (yeah right, in this hobby!) and time in the future...plan, plan, plan, then execute!! :thumbsup:

jannes_z-28
11-13-2005, 04:50 AM
Sounds good...just think how much better it will drive after being on a diet...the motor!! :)

Yeah, almost 300lbs less over the front axle will not harm the handling. The heavy bigblock could be felt during hard cornering.

Even though my bigblock had a few horses more than the LS1 I still think that the performance of the car would be pretty much the same or even better regarding handling.

It will be interesting to see.

First thing on the ageda is to fix the oilpan so I can get the engine to fit in the car.

Jan

lil427z
11-13-2005, 10:20 AM
jan. have you seen the motor run .
rick kirkindall :thumbsup:

camcojb
11-13-2005, 10:26 AM
Good deal Jan! :thumbsup: You're a patient guy, for some reason I thought you'd already received it.

Jody

jannes_z-28
11-13-2005, 02:12 PM
jan. have you seen the motor run .
rick kirkindall :thumbsup:

No I haven't. Jody checked it out for me and made the moneytransfer to the seller on my behalf. It is only inspected visually. It came out of a 2002 Camaro SS that had been hit in the rear.

It only has 41000 miles on it. I will check it out more in detail but from the outside everything looks OK.

Good deal Jan! You're a patient guy, for some reason I thought you'd already received it.

Jody

You have to be patient over here, but it takes 8-10 weeks for the oceanshipping from LA to Sweden. It is a long time since it was on your garagefloor :)

I beleive those containerships go to many ports in the USA before they cross the Atlantic, and then a few other ports in Europe before they reach Sweden. It had good companions in the can. One really nice '65 Mustang convertible in restored condition and one 51 Chevy pickup in untouched, weathered desertrat look.

Jan

awr68
11-14-2005, 12:18 AM
You have to be patient over here, but it takes 8-10 weeks for the oceanshipping from LA to Sweden.

Good thing I was able to put your disc brake parts on an airplane then!! :thumbsup:

Rybar
11-14-2005, 11:21 AM
Looks good! You got a nice project going on there!

Payton King
11-14-2005, 12:54 PM
I figured that I might as well post this on your thread instead of mine.

Looks like the guy or gal that owned that motor before you did a little something to it. The Harmonic balancer looks aftermarket and the shifter has been changed from stock to a B&M ripper shifter...which is good.

A 2002 motor had the LS6 intake on it so really no need to upgrade there. Slap a cam in it and some good long tube headers and you should be good...until the head swap.

If you are going with the S&P style plates (I know you are going to make them yourself) you will need to use the short motor mounts from a 67 first gen. The ones used on your big block, or any 69 for that matter as they are all the same, will be too tall.

The oil pan on the LS1 will hang about 3/4 of an inch past the crossmember. Only way to fix this is raise the motor in the car. If you do that you cannot use reduced height body bushings or you will need to raise the tunnel in the car. been there done that.

If you are going to leave the engine hanging below the crossmember it is an easy swap. If you want to raise it up let me know. I have already built all of the parts and I am not using them as I changed sub frames.

Look under my project car on the home page...under King and you will see my stock subframe with the motor raised.

Ask me questions because I will save you time on this swap.

Payton