PDA

View Full Version : Frame rack questions

rlplive
11-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Ok guys. I know my car has been hit in the left 1/4 panel. The floor board is crinkled up, and the frame rail is definitely tweaked. The frame rail is also pretty rusted out. I am pretty sure it is going to need to be replaced. Here are my questions. Should I have the car put on a frame rack before I proceed with any metal replacement? I am planning on replacing the entire floor pan first. My other questions is this. When do you replace the frame rail? Do I need to replace the floor and trunk pans before I replace the frame rail so I have something good to weld it to?

I am a novice at this, although I am planning on trying most of this stuff myself. I have a hobart welder and a lot of courage. thanks
Ryan

elitecustombody
11-25-2009, 07:56 PM
If you have access to a frame rack,I'd do a quick pull,but if all gaps line up, doors and trunk open and shut fine,you should be ok without getting the car on frame rack,since you're replacing all floors and rail.Just make sure to set the car up on level floor and keep checking the alignment of all panels before welding anything.

rlplive
11-25-2009, 08:21 PM
If you have access to a frame rack,I'd do a quick pull,but if all gaps line up, doors and trunk open and shut fine,you should be ok without getting the car on frame rack,since you're replacing all floors and rail.Just make sure to set the car up on level floor and keep checking the alignment of all panels before welding anything.
How will I know if the car is straight though? I think they probably did a shoddy repair and got everything to line up somehow. Also, do I replace the floor and trunk and then do the frame rail?
Thanks for your reply
Ryan

elitecustombody
11-25-2009, 09:09 PM
measuring in X-pattern will tell you if the car is square,invest in tram gauge,you can buy one for under $200,nothing fancy,but it will do the job.You can replace the metal in whatever order you think is easier,I would cut it all out,fit the floors in with temporary clamps and screws,fit the rail,trace out the rail on the floor,prep the floor and drill holes in it,prep the mating surface on the rail where you'll have the spot welds,set everything back in,and start welding one spot weld at a time in different areas to eliminate any shrinking and always keep checking the alignment of all panels

rlplive
11-25-2009, 10:09 PM
measuring in X-pattern will tell you if the car is square,invest in tram gauge,you can buy one for under $200,nothing fancy,but it will do the job.You can replace the metal in whatever order you think is easier,I would cut it all out,fit the floors in with temporary clamps and screws,fit the rail,trace out the rail on the floor,prep the floor and drill holes in it,prep the mating surface on the rail where you'll have the spot welds,set everything back in,and start welding one spot weld at a time in different areas to eliminate any shrinking and always keep checking the alignment of all panels

Alright, that helps out a lot. I appreciate all of the help,