PDA

View Full Version : Fabricators and welders whats your weapon of choice?

gearheads78
10-29-2009, 08:02 PM
I'm having a hard time of keeping a TIG on my want list. It seems to be on my need list a lot latley.:yes: If my car sells I will be buying one now if not its time to save up for one.

I will be doing mild steel, stainless, and a little bit of aluminum. I'm looking at the Dynasty 200DX but at at 3500.00 ready to use I am also thinking about the Syncrowave 200 because 2500.00 or less new and they pop up pretty regular used for a good bit less. So what should I lean to? Thanks in advance for any advice.

70 chevelle
10-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Take a look at the HTP Invertig 201 http://www.htpweld.com/products/tig_welders/tig201.html
It's next on my list

68protouring454
10-29-2009, 08:59 PM
while the dynasty is killer, a syncro wave 180 etc will do anything you can throw at it building a car, off road truck etc. theres plenty miller/lincolns for sale at 1,000-1,500

arue333
10-30-2009, 12:18 AM
It's old but the millermattic square wave has proven the test of time and 32high schoolers 6periods a day for the last 10 years. Great machine. But money wasn't an issue I might opt for a Cobramatic. It adjusts it's self!

GregWeld
10-30-2009, 05:40 PM
I own the Miller Dynasty 200 DX -- and LOVE IT....

Expensive yes.... worth it... yes.

My rule is -- it's an investment in ME... and my hobby -- I'm going to have a good tool for YEARS -- and I want to be able to grow into it - not have the tool limit what I can do in the future.

My .0000000001 worth.

GregWeld
10-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Ebay seller has Factory refurbs -- $2500

http://cgi.ebay.com/MILLER-DYNASTY-200DX-200-DX-TIG-WELDER-907099011-NR_W0QQitemZ230392033097QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Weld ers?hash=item35a46f6f49#ht_2645wt_1167

Garage Dog 65
10-30-2009, 06:29 PM
I have the Miller Diversion 165. I don't do Tig welding of thick materials - I use my Mig for that work.

Jim

gearheads78
10-30-2009, 08:06 PM
I have the Miller Diversion 165. I don't do Tig welding of thick materials - I use my Mig for that work.

Jim

The Diversion looks pretty nice but I am afraid of outgrowing it too soon.

GregWeld
10-30-2009, 08:35 PM
The Diversion looks pretty nice but I am afraid of outgrowing it too soon.

Good thinkin' !!

I bought a Lincoln 175 SP -- used it about twice - gave it to a buddy - and bought a Miller 210 -- bigger tank - can weld real stuff... and once you have a great welder - there's "other things" you can do with it beside sheetmetal on a car -- like building yourself a real work table etc...

Thus my advice about skimping on the TIG machine - YES they're ridiculous - but even my Dynasty 200 can't weld the gauge of aluminum that I'd LIKE it to be able to.... which is anything above 1/4". Well - you don't think you'd do anything thicker than that -- but you will...

gearheads78
10-30-2009, 08:39 PM
Good thinkin' !!

I bought a Lincoln 175 SP -- used it about twice - gave it to a buddy - and bought a Miller 210 -- bigger tank - can weld real stuff... and once you have a great welder - there's "other things" you can do with it beside sheetmetal on a car -- like building yourself a real work table etc...

Thus my advice about skimping on the TIG machine - YES they're ridiculous - but even my Dynasty 200 can't weld the gauge of aluminum that I'd LIKE it to be able to.... which is anything above 1/4". Well - you don't think you'd do anything thicker than that -- but you will...

You are not allowed to answer my posts any more. You are just going to cost me more money :lol:

GregWeld
10-30-2009, 08:49 PM
You are not allowed to answer my posts any more. You are just going to cost me more money :lol:

FINE!!
:wow: :rofl:

My wife always tells our "non-car" friends - that I spend $10,000 to do a $1,000 job....

She's not far off!

:woot:

ccracin
10-30-2009, 08:49 PM

Greg will do it to you every time! :rofl:

E.rodz
10-30-2009, 11:22 PM
I myself was on this fence you are on to .I was at a local welding shop and was loking at the new miller inverters and asked the guys at the welding shop what tig machine that they would buy and both the guys pointed to the miller syncrowave 250 and both replied that machine is tried and true and if anything goes wrong with it they could fix it in nothing flat but they could not even remember the last one that was in to be serviced. I looked around on the service benches and saw 3 new miller inverters and asked whats the most common thing that goes wrong with theese i wanted one because of the physical size was alot smaller with more options and after he showed me the stack of circut boards inside and told me they just keep throwing boards at it until they are fixed.needless to say i bought the oldskool syncrowave 250 the only thing that i don't like is the size of the welder but it is awsome.try this before you buy though.alot of contractors rent machines like this all the time and you can buy them for what ever the asking price minus the rental fees.i bought mine after the contractor that i work for rented the machine for 9 months and i bought it for 1200 bucks ask your local welding shop if they have any rental returns.remember if you want to weld aluminum you want nothing less than a 200 amp machine.

gearheads78
10-30-2009, 11:26 PM
Wow you stole that thing. The least expensive 250 I have seen is 2500.00.

GregWeld
10-30-2009, 11:34 PM
Just remember another thing about INVERTER machines -- you use a sharpened tungsten on an inverter machine - not balled! I use 2% Ceriated (Orange ends) for my Aluminum work. So if you're going to compare machines -- don't forget that... it DOES make a difference!

For the Syncrowave machines - you'd still ball the tungsten (Green).

68protouring454
10-31-2009, 08:42 AM
Just remember another thing about INVERTER machines -- you use a sharpened tungsten on an inverter machine - not balled! I use 2% Ceriated (Orange ends) for my Aluminum work. So if you're going to compare machines -- don't forget that... it DOES make a difference!

For the Syncrowave machines - you'd still ball the tungsten (Green).

we use sharpened ends on our tig welding of control arms and chassis's
we use 2% thoriated for most everything, in the lincoln 185 unit we have and miller syncrowave 250

The WidowMaker
10-31-2009, 07:52 PM
brand new dynasty 200dx sitting in my closet for the last 6 months. i havent got it fired up yet, but when i bought it i wanted to do it once and do it right. i looked hard at the diversion, but knew it wouldnt last with what i wanted to do.

btw, make sure you get the newest model of the 200dx. they didnt change the model number or appearance, but from what i read there is a pretty big difference. the only way to tell is by the serial.

Tim

GregWeld
10-31-2009, 07:56 PM
we use sharpened ends on our tig welding of control arms and chassis's
we use 2% thoriated for most everything, in the lincoln 185 unit we have and miller syncrowave 250

Huh.... I thought with the "non inverter" machines you HAD to ball the end... Apparently I'm WRONG. First time that's ever happened!!

:thumbsup:

abadsvt
10-31-2009, 10:04 PM
Another vote for the dynasty 200dx!!! Its an amazing machine! I think the big difference between the syncrowave and the dyansty is the pulsing feature which i like to use especially on alluminum. One thing to add to the "got to get list" is a water cool attachment. When i bought my setup i thought i wasted money on the water cooled attachment but i use it soooooo much. Well worth every penny in my own opinion. Just thought i would through my 2 cents in!

GregWeld
10-31-2009, 10:14 PM
Well that settles it then!!

:>)

I like the pulse feature as well! I just like the whole machine! Easy to set up -and switch - doesn't take up huge space in the shed... I have mine stacked on a cart I "hot rodded" to hold my plasma cutter and the TIG... very handy to have 'em on wheels...

I've also got a couple different torches for mine... I don't care much for the "stock" hose and torch. The torch is fine but the hose is too stiff...

68protouring454
11-01-2009, 06:55 AM
i like having both a small 125 amp air cooled torch and a big 200 amp water cooled torch, the small torch is way easier welding tube and hard to get to areas, it does get hot but you can work around that.
the water cooled torch does stay cooler but is way more bulky. really good for production work

coolwelder62
11-01-2009, 07:33 PM
I have a Lincoln Precision Tig 275 & Dynasty 200DX Love them both. Never ball the tung. on either machine.I use the miller to roll around the shop since it's a small package. The Lincoln stays put a sets next to my work table.What ever you buy get a gas defuser lens makes all the differants in welds. My 2 cents.Scott

GregWeld
11-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Scott --

Stole the words right out of my mouth -- I was going to mention to go with a gas lens...

68protouring454
11-02-2009, 06:31 AM
X3 i will never tig weld without a gas lens..
i also roll around my lincoln and leave the big 250 at my welding table

Streetwerkz
11-02-2009, 11:38 AM
I love my Lincoln welders.
no problems to speak of.
parts are almost always 20 minutes away if a repair, or maintenance item is needed.

GregWeld
11-03-2009, 09:16 PM
I spent a bunch of time today at both LINCOLN and MILLER booths at SEMA -- discussing technique and machines with the WELDERS that were there demoing stuff -- NOT THE SALESMAN... who probably never turned on a machine (LOL)... Got lots of good tips and tricks... but in the end - it's like golf - you can either hit the ball or you suck.... and that is true in welding. The brand makes little difference despite the fact that they do have differences.

I do sometimes wish my inverter TIG machine was 'larger' as in 300 amps -- but again - in the end - I'd use that much heat so seldom that it's not worth getting my panties in a knot over.

I did NOT like the new Lincoln 205 Inverter machine - they have a new front schematic to use for settings - and despite a thorough explanation - I still had NO CLUE what the settings 'diagram' was telling me. I suppose you'd get used to it - but to me - it was anything but intuitive.

mikespeed95
04-19-2010, 01:25 AM
Do you guys have a good recommendation for a broke-college-kid who'd like to not have to have his freind weld all his aluminum for him? :)

GregWeld
04-19-2010, 08:19 AM
Mike --

There is no "inexpensive way" to weld aluminum... the equipment required (TIG) is expensive.

If you're not going to 'invest' in the equipment - then you really don't have many options other than having someone else do it for you.

There is a torch welder - uses common gas - that they sell for doing sheet aluminum. Ron Covell sells it on his website I think.

The only other way is to put a spool gun on your MIG machine. But that is usually a "production" version of welding aluminum and really doesn't work that well for what "we" do - which is odd ball parts here and there as we need them.

mikespeed95
04-19-2010, 01:17 PM
I'm cool with spending about a grand, and have been looking for a used syncrowave fora while, didn't know if yall had any good ideas on that..I've never heard of looking for used loaner units which I'm gonna try to do once I have some cash again, but ideas like that.

bigtyme1
04-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Does anybody know where I can get a chart to hang on the wall telling what gases to use for what kind of metal I'm using? I'm going to try aluminum next week. I got a new dynasty at SEMA and I'm just getting around to playing with it. Also got a spool gun for my Miller 200

GregWeld
04-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Mark == Real SIMPLE --

100% ARGON ONLY FOR TIG -- ALL METALS

MIG:

CO2 and ARGON mix -- steel

"TRI MIX" for MIG on Stainless... This is Helium with a bit of CO2 and Argon added

100% ARGON again for the MIG and the Spool gun (ALUMINUM)

bigtyme1
04-19-2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks Greg, I may call you this week once I get started. Waiting on an extension cord for the Tig.

GregWeld
04-19-2010, 09:49 PM
Okay ---

Biggest thing about welding I've found for "newbs" -- they get a one rate lense... and then can't see a dang thing. Can't see = can't weld....

With TIG especially -- and low settings -- you've got to be able to clearly see what the heck you're doing...

coolwelder62
04-19-2010, 10:02 PM
If you find yourself out growing one welder there is always some one willing to fill the shoes of your old machine so you can step up to a bigger machine.keep it clean and scratch free.I wax mine on a monthly basis and keep and fender cover over them, and seem to get good money out of them when I am readly to sell.Buy what you can aford now,learn to weld now,have fun & get things done now.:thumbsup:

GregWeld
04-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Here ya go MARK --- A video on the "tips and tricks of TIG" -- it's short - but it''s actually enough to start you on your way to being the BGDTWITWWW....

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/

Simple huh! :D

JRouche
04-19-2010, 11:53 PM
Does anybody know where I can get a chart to hang on the wall telling what gases to use for what kind of metal I'm using? I'm going to try aluminum next week. I got a new dynasty at SEMA and I'm just getting around to playing with it. Also got a spool gun for my Miller 200

I have a nice full color chart that I hung on the wall above my welding table. It is a nice chart. Gives all the sizes and types of electrodes to use as well as the gases. And its large (3 feet long), so I can actually read it. It was a freebie.

I looked for some numbers on the chart and there arent any. Only thing was "By T.B. Jefferson.

I did a search and came up with this.
http://www.blueshield.ca/en/docs/pdf/techInfo/DataBook/WeldingAppSMAW-FCAW-GMAW-GTAW-SAW.pdf

Not my chart but some of the same kinda info. You could have it printed larger at a kinkos and laminated. Ill see if I can remember where I got it. Might be from my welding supplier. JR