PDA

View Full Version : Stereo in shop on fritz since putting in new lights

scherp69
10-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Last week I decided to install some new fluorescent lights in the shop. I now have three sets of fluorescent (one was already there and the 2 new ones) and one bulb that still needs to be replaced. Before I put the new lights, I had okay reception with my stereo. It is a brand new Sony industrial ghetto. Since putting in the 2 new ones, I have no reception at all. I turn off the lights and I get great reception. Do you guys know of anything that I can use to get my reception back? I know this doesn't have to do with cars, but it helps me when I'm working on my car. Thanks in advance.

GregWeld
10-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Yeah MIKE!! I can help!!

GET CABLE!!

LOL

Seriously -- The lights are putting out some "RFI" -- Radio Frequency Interference -- Pull the plug out of the wall and run it on battery only - if that helps - go to Radio Shack and get a RFI FILTER and plug that in between the wall and the radio.

You'd be better off by far - by installing an external antenna.

Funny --- I was building my shop (The Shed) and nobody was calling me... I was working inside and I'd step outside and all of a sudden I'd have 10 "messages" on my cell phone. The Shed is all metal - NO RECEPTION WHAT SO EVER... so I installed a CELL PHONE REPEATER (about $500) that takes the signal from inside the building to the outside and vice versa.... No other way around it!

scherp69
10-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Thanks Greg. Hopefully I will be able to fix it as I find it way too quiet in the shop without some tunes. I'll try the batteries first and if that works I'm going to try putting in another plug to plug it into. All my lights are on one breaker and I have another breaker with a small panel box in the shop for all my 220 stuff. I'm going to add a 120 plug into the panel and hopefully that will work.

70rs
10-26-2009, 02:59 PM
I have always preffered the big hammer fix on all things electronic. Computers are my specialty though. :rofl:

The RFI filter that Greg mentioned should take care of it for you Mike. I had the same problem in an old shop and that was the fix for me then. Cheap and easy!!:thumbsup:

scherp69
10-26-2009, 03:24 PM
Hey Eric. I tried calling around and asking if anyone had a RFI filter to plug in. No one had a clue what I was talking about. Do you have a pic of yours?

bulldog19
10-26-2009, 03:39 PM
Mike this is one i have sold with mixed results for the exact problem you are experiencing. Cost is about $30 +shipping and i could have to you in about a week.
Here's the link let me know if you have any questions.
http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?sitex=10026:22372:US&item=3735
Thanks
Bulldog

GregWeld
10-27-2009, 08:55 PM
Scherp -- I did have to chuckle a minute when you mentioned you'd gotten a new radio for the shop...

There's a LONG story behind my "shed radio" -- but the gist of it is - this stuff was "BUILT IN" the house when we bought it... the problem is -- it's STEREO and all the new TV's etc are Surround sound... so it really wasn't being used. In fact it was sitting on the floor in a closet. So I talked to the local stereo shop about what I could do with this "stuff" -- and the guy told me that I could use it for surround sound - but that would 'limit' what I could do etc - since the AMP isn't made to do this -- it's really made to send STEREO into several different rooms (areas)... but since it was multi channel - I could use various channels for the different speakers in a surround sound "system"... so out to the SHED it went!! It was "free" since it came with the house.... :rofl: :rofl:

PS - hope you get your "buzz" fixed with that RFI filter!!

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad33/gregweld/Ricks%2055%20on%20the%20ground/Shop%20equipment/DSC_5611.jpg

bulldog19
10-28-2009, 05:32 AM
Mike one other thing we have found with this problem is that there are different grades of ballasts. Basically a commercial grade and residential grade. The residential grade has an RFI filter built in where the commercial grade does not. This is more prevalent with the new electronic ballasts that use the skinny style tubes. Installing a new circuit for the radio unfortunately will not solve your problem.

scherp69
10-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Mike one other thing we have found with this problem is that there are different grades of ballasts. Basically a commercial grade and residential grade. The residential grade has an RFI filter built in where the commercial grade does not. This is more prevalent with the new electronic ballasts that use the skinny style tubes. Installing a new circuit for the radio unfortunately will not solve your problem.

Hmmmm...and those are the exact ones I have. I believe they are a T8 bulb or something like that. So would a filter work then or would I be better off taking a loss and getting new lights? I might go price new ones out and see, but if a filter would work, would be much cheaper.

bulldog19
10-28-2009, 10:04 AM
I have sold the filter and it has worked for some and cleared up the static and in other cases it did not work at all. A new ballast for your exisitng fixture is about $20.00 that has the filter built in and that is a 2-tube unit. Let me know if I can help any further.
Thanks
Bulldog

scherp69
10-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the info John, I'll head to Home Depot and see if they have the other ballasts.

bulldog19
10-28-2009, 05:01 PM
NO NOT HOME DEPOT!!!! Please support your local Electrical Distributor.
Support the small guy in times like this we need support now more than ever.
I can selll them to you if you like.
Let me know.
Thanks
John

scherp69
10-29-2009, 06:52 PM
I finally found a place that sold RFI filters...and don't worry John, it wasn't Home Depot. It was a small local place. They had one that he said was high quality. It cost me $80 and has a light on it that tells you if you have a bad plug. So I tried it and............still static. I then ran an extension cord from the house to try a different circuit, it's better, but still quite a bit of static. I turned the lights off with the stereo plugged into the extension cord and it cleared right up. I've decided that I'm going to do the rest of my build using a flashlight :lol:

Unless any of you can think of anything else to try, I'll likely end up running a coax cable out the shop and hooking up an old amp in there. The one good thing is I will have way more radio stations but not sure if I'll be able to use the ghetto. I might be able to run an audio in and use the speakers on the ghetto and the cd player, but the tuner from the amp.

Any other thoughts???

nvr2fst
10-29-2009, 11:33 PM
Mike, IMO none of what is mentioned is your problem. Your not grounded properly, this is a common issue I see on older commercial buildings Ive owned.

Pull your fluoresent tubes out and remove the ballast cover (power off!) Check your connections at the ballast. Most likely its poorly grounded or not grounded at all. Check the ground wire coming from the panel to make sure it is properly connected to the ground wire or screw on the fixture. You may have to check the ground at at light. If all those are fine check the ground in the junction boxes that have circuit wires from the lights.
All else fails remove your cover at the elect.panel and with a INSULATED screwdriver check all the ground screws to see if there tight.
Dave

scherp69
10-30-2009, 10:27 AM
Mike, IMO none of what is mentioned is your problem. Your not grounded properly, this is a common issue I see on older commercial buildings Ive owned.

Pull your fluoresent tubes out and remove the ballast cover (power off!) Check your connections at the ballast. Most likely its poorly grounded or not grounded at all. Check the ground wire coming from the panel to make sure it is properly connected to the ground wire or screw on the fixture. You may have to check the ground at at light. If all those are fine check the ground in the junction boxes that have circuit wires from the lights.
All else fails remove your cover at the elect.panel and with a INSULATED screwdriver check all the ground screws to see if there tight.
Dave

Thanks Dave...I'll check that before I buy the coaxial cable.

AALynch
10-30-2009, 11:14 PM
Scherp -- I did have to chuckle a minute when you mentioned you'd gotten a new radio for the shop...

There's a LONG story behind my "shed radio" -- but the gist of it is - this stuff was "BUILT IN" the house when we bought it... the problem is -- it's STEREO and all the new TV's etc are Surround sound... so it really wasn't being used. In fact it was sitting on the floor in a closet. So I talked to the local stereo shop about what I could do with this "stuff" -- and the guy told me that I could use it for surround sound - but that would 'limit' what I could do etc - since the AMP isn't made to do this -- it's really made to send STEREO into several different rooms (areas)... but since it was multi channel - I could use various channels for the different speakers in a surround sound "system"... so out to the SHED it went!! It was "free" since it came with the house.... :rofl: :rofl:

Ya know, if ya want to get rid of those "free", ancient pieces of equipment, I'll gladly paypal ya $10 or $20 for em ;)

GregWeld
10-30-2009, 11:24 PM
Ya know, if ya want to get rid of those "free", ancient pieces of equipment, I'll gladly paypal ya $10 or $20 for em ;)

Nice try! :lol:

I have an C26 out in the shed - sitting in a pile at the bottom of the stairs... I've had that since 1971.... It's worth about $20... Want that?? :lol:

Speedzone1
02-21-2010, 10:18 PM
That old McIntosh Stereo equipment is the ****! Wish I had it. Ive got a vintage 1973 Marantz in my shop.

RECOVERY ROOM
03-22-2010, 08:45 PM

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad33/gregweld/Ricks%2055%20on%20the%20ground/Shop%20equipment/DSC_5611.jpg

That MAC equipment is some good stuff,It was not and still isn't cheap...You wouldn,t have any old CARVER stuff laying around

GregWeld
03-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Tracy --

SERIOUSLY -- I had a couple of the very first Phase Linear pieces -- a QUADRAPHONIC preamp (a 4000 something or other if memory servers me right) and a 700w amp they had (along with a Teac 3340)! Even smoked a doobie back in the day at their factory in Lynnwood with Bob Carver himself! I had McIntosh then -- like 1971 or '72 and some dufus broke in and stole most of it - before he got spooked off... I still own the C26 preamp. Anyway -- I replaced that with the Phase Linear stuff -- it took months to get - and I promptly blew up the Marantz 7's and JBL 99's we had... Speakers just weren't able to handle that kind of power then! Ended up finally replacing those (after blowing them a couple of times) with some RTR 280 DR's... WHICH my brother in law still has to this day. Never could blow them up - although I did fry a couple of tweeters a couple of times. :rofl:

Sorry I had so much trouble with the Phase Linear stuff - I never bought anything Carverish again. Man -- you brought back some OLD memories!

GregWeld
03-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Tracy --

You got me digging through my old photo albums - then trying to figure out how to scan - and import and post and blah blah blah...

Note in this OLD photo - the Phase Linear 4000 sitting there and just underneath it the PL 700... and in the foreground a corner of the old RTR
280's !! LOL -- Oh man, check out the furniture - and the "cool" lamp! :rofl:

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad33/gregweld/Surgery/scan.jpg

GregWeld
03-22-2010, 10:16 PM
BTW -- For you "young uns" -- that Ivory colored thing on the coffee table -- that is a P H O N E as in Ma Bell... Pre Verizon or any of these other new fangled devices. Yes - it was actually hooked into the wall... and you could roam around with it any further than the cable allowed - and it had no "memory". You actually had to remember your friends numbers or you looked things up in the WHITE PAGES or businesses in the YELLOW PAGES...

Note the BOSTON "album" -- they were made out of plastic and played on a turntable... 33 1/3 RPM... Yes I still own it... along with a few zillion other albums... you know -- like "Meet the Beatles".... and the Dave Clark Five... and old Stones.. :rofl:

GregWeld
03-22-2010, 11:02 PM
I lied -- I had a Phase Linear 400.... and it blew speakers left and right. I was going to buy the Phase Linear 700 later -- but ended up with a Marantz instead.. I've had a lot of this kind of stuff over the years -- wish now that I'd have kept them all!

RECOVERY ROOM
03-23-2010, 07:34 AM
I have a boat load of albums,Some how I have a MEET THE BEATLES first run($$$$).I am only 45 and still remember all that stuff.Still have a set of BOSE 901's.Don't laugh about that telephone in the pic,I keep one around just in case of power outage,Sits in the closet.Did you ever have think some off that old audio stuff would be worth anything today.

GregWeld
03-23-2010, 09:00 AM
Tracy --

The only reason I kept the C26 was because I paid good money for it then -- and when it was "worthless" I couldn't bare to toss something that was such a nice little piece of gear. Of course, after you've kept something like that for so long - you just can't throw it out. I never thought that it might be worth almost as much as I paid for it.

GregWeld
03-23-2010, 10:00 AM
My Meet the Beatles is a "second variation -- with the side one label listing BMI on the first song and the rest are credited to ASCAP...

Rare - but not as rare as yours... Yours is pre-release... with no credits... mine is the second release with the "mistaken" credits... Mine is also MONOPHONIC. I love the labeling which states that "This Monophonic microgroove recording is playable on monophonic and stereo phonographs. IT CANNOT BECOME OBSOLETE. It will continue to be a source of outstanding reproduction..."

Uh..... okay.... right....

Bought mine February 7, 1964

The reason I know that is because I wrote the date on the album jacket. :>)

RECOVERY ROOM
03-23-2010, 10:35 AM
My dad got mine he was stationed in Europe in the Navy,I put it in a "safe" place.Now you got me thinking of all the old albums I have...Going to have to go thru those now..Lol