PDA

View Full Version : cool shop tools

E.rodz
10-21-2009, 11:59 AM
anybody have any tools that they have fabricated to make life easier?.here is just a few that I have created lets see some more post up.
http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu160/erodz/shop%20tools/feb-march2009005.jpg
http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu160/erodz/shop%20tools/feb-march2009008.jpg
http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu160/erodz/shop%20tools/feb-march2009009.jpg
http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu160/erodz/shop%20tools/009.jpg
still need to finish the english wheel plans are to make this a very universal tool not just an english wheel.I wanted an english wheel and just couldn't give up the floor space and thought as long as I had a column for my bridge crane this would work out awsome to swing out from the wall and fold against the wall for storage. future plans on fabricating a power hammer to go next to the english wheel.

caper150
10-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Eric, I like the idea of the E-wheel swinging out of the way, those things take up lots of room and I like to rotisseri I would love to have one of those some day.All I have right now my self is a modified HF bead roller and a a shrinker streacher set.

GregWeld
10-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Eric -

I noticed your e wheel the other day when you posted a pic of your shop. Nice!

So I studied the same post - and for the life of me couldn't figure out why you'd have that beam crane running along the wall --- with no door or whatever by it... NOW I GET IT.... I think?? -- It pivots? NICE.

I just use the all steel framing in my Shed.... it's hella big and I can hang some good stuff off of it with chain hoists... Once I get it on the floor (out of the truck) I have all manor of "wheels" to move stuff with. If I can't lift it - or don't want to transfer the weight to the building framing - I just yank it out with the lift.

About the only "shop tools" I've built are two rather hefty tables -- 'cause I bought my rotisserie... and had most everything else.

NICE WORK!! By the way!!

GregWeld
10-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Eric --

Looked at the beam crane - no pivot going on there... so what do you use it for?? Is there a cross beam and this part showing is the traveler on one side?

E.rodz
10-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Greg the hoist system you are refering to is called a bridge crane. the whole top beam rolls the length of my back shop bay witch is 26x30.I am rounding enough steel to put one more in in the front bay 1/2 so this one will be 13 ft wide by 26 long this way i can still fit my 4 post lift in it.it is so nice to not have to use a cherry picker to take up all of your floor space.and to be able to pick anything up and not touch the floor.I was trying to see picts of your shop but all your picts are moved.been hit hard by the swine flue going to attempt to get some more work done today.

GregWeld
10-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Greg the hoist system you are refering to is called a bridge crane. the whole top beam rolls the length of my back shop bay witch is 26x30.I am rounding enough steel to put one more in in the front bay 1/2 so this one will be 13 ft wide by 26 long this way i can still fit my 4 post lift in it.it is so nice to not have to use a cherry picker to take up all of your floor space.and to be able to pick anything up and not touch the floor.I was trying to see picts of your shop but all your picts are moved.been hit hard by the swine flue going to attempt to get some more work done today.

Got it!! I checked it out a little better after I made the post - and figured it out!

Nice!

Here's the thread with posts of my "shed" --- I replaced the pictures - with correct links.

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=10408&page=21

minendrews68
10-24-2009, 04:33 PM
I just finished building a rotisserie for my Camaro this morning. Looks something like yours but with some changes. I do like the way you raise and lower your height adjustment, pretty cool.............

Carl

Garage Dog 65
10-25-2009, 07:04 PM
I made two of these for my band saw that I use to cut tube and flat steel stock. My saws working table height is 24 inches – and these reach over that a bit so I can level the material in the machine against the un-even concrete floor in my shop (drain slope). The adjustable rubber feet help level the cross bars – and also reduce noise. I did not paint the side of the adjuster that rides against the tightening knob. Before I painted the units – I polished the metal on that one side, taped it off with painting tape and then painted it. I then pulled the tape, let it dry and put several coats of paste wax on the exposed metal to stop the rust. I’ve had them for a couple years in the garage and they still look new.

Base Assy - Parts List

(2) Base legs @ 1 inch x 2.5 inches x 16 inches
(4) Base weld nuts @ 3/8 x 16
(4) Rubber feet @ 3/8 x 16 (Wholesale Tools)
(4) Base legs tube end closeouts @ 3/4 inch x 2.25 inches
(1) Base crossbar @ 1.5 inch x 1.5 inch x 16 inches
(1) Base upright @ 1.5 inch x 1.5 inch x 13 inches
(1) Base upright weld nut @ 3/8 x 16
(1) Base upright knob @ 3/8 x 16 (Wholesale Tools)

Roller Assy - Parts List

(1) Roller upright @ 1.25 inch x 1.25 inch x 13.5 inches
(1) Roller cross bar @ 1.25 inch x 1.25 inch x 12.5 inches
(1) Roller assy and mount bracket (Wholesale Tools)
(3) Roller upright and cross bar plastic end plugs @ 1.25 inch square (Central Steel & Supply)

You might be able to use these on a drill press too by adjusting the 2 upright dimensions to fit your table height. Good luck !

Jim

www.WTTool.com
www.Central-Steel.net

redss86
10-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Erik,

Just noticed this thread. I am currently in the process of building my shed. I would love to one day have just some of the tools I see in your shop. Nice work on both the rotisserie, and English wheel. Did you design the rotisserie on your own, or did you buy the plans? That design looks very similar to a design I seen on ebay. The seller was selling some cad designs of a basically that very same rotisserie. How much did it cost for all the supplies, and how long did it take you to fab? Finally would you be willing to share your design? :(

Thanks,
Joe

E.rodz
10-30-2009, 11:45 PM
yes i did design the english wheel my self.got the plans for the rotissorie from a friend that never built it but had to modify the the design alot.had most of the tubing and the casters just had to buy the jacks and the acme rod.i will have to look and see if i can put some drawings together later this winter just need time to finish my shop now.:yes:

E.rodz
11-25-2009, 11:22 PM
:D come on guys lets see some of your things that you built to make your life beter in any way.tools,benches cabinets,shelves,fab.eqip.storage stuff. ps. thank you garage dog for sharing some plans for us.:thumbsup: