PDA

View Full Version : mcleod twin disc?

Majik16106
10-30-2005, 07:56 PM
anyone using it? i was told by passon it was actually streetable. more important that my car is streetable than anything, but i want a manual, no auto for me. so i will drop power if need be to keep my clutch from being too much of a pain. so, big question, anyone using anything holding 700lb ft of tq thats easy on the left foot? im riggin up a hydraulic set up and a833 chrysler trannies are fully synchronized so the only thing i have to figure out is the clutch option...

edit: by streetable, i mean must be slippable.

camcojb
10-30-2005, 08:49 PM
Yes it is. My last one with the twin disc made over 800 rwtq and never hurt the clutch.

Jody

Tig Man
10-30-2005, 09:03 PM
It's worth every dime!! I've tortured mine, broken Jerico's etc! Sent back for a rebuild after 2 years and still not hurt at all!!

Mark

ProdigyCustoms
10-31-2005, 07:41 AM
We just got the Twin Disc in Prodigy installed and tried it. Seems like it may take a bit of getting used to, maybe a bit grabby, but that os not a bad thing. Have not challenged it yet under full pressure, Clutch seems like a high quality piece and I have no doubt it will do the job. Be warned, the people at Mcleod have the personality of rattle snakes. Trying to get through to Red, to get the part number, to give to the a$$hole answering the phone, requires a 2 to 3 hour comitment to try getting through every minute or so. And if you ask the A hole answering the phone one tech question, your refered to call Red, which can be impossible. When you ask him if he could ask Red for the pat number when he is not busy, you get shut down. We were trying to add a roller pilot bearing that we had not got a part number when Red specked out the clutch package. The rattle snake asked fro the part number, when i asked him to just ask Red for the number, charge me whatever, and include it, he insisted I call Red again. I explained I already had my 3 hors in, and it woould be more simple for him to ask Red in passing then for me to start with getting throgh again. Long story short, my bearing came from somewhere else.

The guy answering really needs a vacation. They all seem like grotchity old bastards, but this guy was over the top. I actually have a visit to Red planed on my SEMA calander. I am kind of hoping the prick that takes the orders is there, so I can tell him again to screw off, in front of Red this time!

Other then that, it is a killer piece of equiptment.

camcojb
10-31-2005, 08:52 AM
100% agree Frank. I've heard of a one man show but it's ridiculous! Their parts are great but you CANNOT get through to them. A good friend of mine went through your exact same scenario trying to get his twin disc. I cannot believe that he can't get some other tech help guys in there. EVERYTHING tech related goes to Red, who is IMPOSSIBLE to get on the phone. Took over a MONTH to get my friends parts list so we could order it.

Jody

Rick Dorion
10-31-2005, 11:15 AM
Maybe you guys can publish the part #'s you used and the application so others can benefit?

chicane
10-31-2005, 12:49 PM
At Guldstrand, we did the initial R&D on them back in the early 90's and it was definately put thru the ringer in development... and I had plenty of hp to beat them up with. Very resilient....

Good clutch, doesnt like to be slipped... as it was previously pointed out that it is a little "grabby", which I concur..... but its an excellent clutch for the street.

Majik16106
10-31-2005, 07:18 PM
well like i said, passon says its all he will use or sell, and he stocks and sells them for my application for a wonderful price with the purchase of the tranny. but i dont want to end up parked at a light going up a hill and having to do a small burnout to keep from hitting the caravan sitting behind me.. seriously. that thought gives me nightmares...

DRJDVM's '69
11-01-2005, 02:30 AM
So how's the clutch on the left leg ??

I've been looking at it too..... I'm not worried about it hooking or holding up..... I'm worried about it killing my left leg if I ever get stuck in stop and go traffic...

How's the pedal pressure ??? I'm not going hydraulic.....

rattus
11-02-2005, 08:46 PM
I don't have much to compare to, but the pedal force is not outrageous. I'm running mech linkage on my 69 firebird.

McLeod did me a huge favor with my street twin setup. When I ordered the setup from summit I mistakenly put in the wrong part number and was sent an oldsmobile flywheel (I needed one for a pontiac). Before I noticed the mistake I had it zero balanced, and so summit would not exchange it. I e-mailed McLeod and Red responded the next day and offered to swap flywheels for me (for a small setup fee).

It installed pretty easily, but when I checked the clearance of the mid-plate to cluch plate (flywheel side) there was 0.003" too much clearance near one of the three mid-plate straps. I removed a 0.005" spacer (all three straps had the same number and thickness spacers) and it brought everything into the specified clearance.

dave96dcm
01-27-2006, 08:34 AM
I've got a Street Twin in my 1996 Impala SS with a t56 and it was a little chattery when I was breaking it in, but at that time I still had the stock 3.08 gears. Now that I have about 4k miles on it and 3.73's it is a great clutch and I highly recommend it.

rocketman
01-27-2006, 05:05 PM
i had one,had problems with it and the help at mcleod is like the other guy said horrible.so i went with a spec.

ironworks
02-01-2006, 10:42 AM
I have been trying to decide between a mcleod, spec, and some of the others in summit. What is your guys opinions, I heard for a while that spec was the way to go and now I'm hearing more about the mcleod. I'm building a 600hp Ls1 for the corvette drivetrain I installed in my pickup. And changing the clutch is a huge ordeal, so i want to do it right the first time. But I guess most people want to do it right.

What are your opinions. Rodger

Blown353
02-01-2006, 12:13 PM
While not a twin disc, I'm running a Mcleod "dual performance" disc with their 22# billet flywheel and diaphragm pressure plate per Red's suggestion.

Very smooth take-up, surprisingly light, and is standing up very well at approximately 650rwhp. Very easy to manage in traffic.

Would it hold up to my HP level with slicks and drag launches? I'm not sure, but it doesn't slip when fully loaded down in 3rd or 4th gear.

If you're going to run street tires I'd suggest this combo. It's been working very well for me (about 10,000 miles on it now) and the cost is quite reasonable.

So how's the clutch on the left leg ??

I've been looking at it too..... I'm not worried about it hooking or holding up..... I'm worried about it killing my left leg if I ever get stuck in stop and go traffic...

How's the pedal pressure ??? I'm not going hydraulic.....

Ned, shoot me a PM if you want to feel the effort on my setup. It's really quite light.

Troy

Damn True
02-01-2006, 12:43 PM
By quite light do you mean that you'd be able to drive it out of the Bay Area on a Friday night (680 stop/go in Fremont, then the 580 stop/go in Plesanton, then the 580 stop/go in Tracy) w/o rupturing a quadricep?

rocketman
02-01-2006, 09:05 PM
i have had a dual performance mcleod was a great clutch,its not ment for your power level,i would run a spec stage 4 or a 5 if plan to get real nasty with it or a ram clutch.

Blown353
02-01-2006, 11:31 PM
By quite light do you mean that you'd be able to drive it out of the Bay Area on a Friday night (680 stop/go in Fremont, then the 580 stop/go in Plesanton, then the 580 stop/go in Tracy) w/o rupturing a quadricep?

Yep, and I've done it before-- 90 miles in 3 hours from Santa Clara back to the valley. Try that with a Borg & Beck. :P

Still, if I'm headed over to the bay area around "primetime" I always try to borrow a car with a slushbox... not to save my leg but to save wear and tear on the clutch! :P

Majik16106
02-02-2006, 06:10 PM
kiesler uses mcleod set-ups dont they?

Damn True
02-03-2006, 01:18 PM
kiesler uses mcleod set-ups dont they?

These cat's do http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/ not sure about keisler

Steve1968LS2
02-04-2006, 12:30 PM
I just picked up a McLeod single disc.. I think the double disc is overkill a lot of the time and it's far more touchy to get installed right.

McLeod is about a mile from my house so CS isn't an issue.. I can just go there.. lol

BTW.. they have a new T56 shifter that is WAY WAY cool..

I also got thier SFI cert bellhousing :) Oh, and I will be running the Mezeire billet flywheel..

68protouring454
02-04-2006, 09:18 PM
hey you wanna go rattle there cage i need some tech help, well just some questions answered just so it came from the horses mouth, there phones suck
jake

71Nova
02-05-2006, 03:27 AM
The guy that answers the phone is incredibly rude. Instead of dealing with trying to order it I drove down there to pick up my clutch. About 30 min. I am using a single disc with thier flywheel made for a t56 with a 2 piece rear seal block. I think Classic Chevy 5 speed is owned by McCloud because I noticed they share a building. I love my clutch. Not to heavy on the pedal and does not slip at all.

jeffmort
02-24-2006, 01:23 AM
Actually Classice chevy 5-Speed is not owned by McLoed - we just have an office in the McLeod building. We have an office there because we spend a lot of time with Red working on projects and we have immediate access to Red when we need it which we all know is not always easy to get.
The owners of CC5S are Jeff Mortenson & Scott Lindquist.

Mean 69
04-16-2006, 12:38 PM
Part numbers would be incredibly helpful. It would appear that the motor that will go into my 69 Plymouth project shortly will be a little more powerful than I had initially thought. This is a big car, and will be a "performance cruiser," meaning it'll have A/C, big stereo, etc. No r-compunds, they don't make them big enough. I plan on running a hydraulic t/o bearing. 90% street driven, the rest will be open track. Looking for the best of both worlds, but it HAS to hold up to power. Car will likely be about 4k lbs (yes, I know...), TKO 600, probably 3.20-ish rear gear ratio, and "north" of 650 lb-ft.

M

chicane
04-16-2006, 07:03 PM
Slopar listings (http://www.mcleodind.com/cgi-bin/fccgi.exe?w3exec=w3ezmenudriver&menuvalue=38&currmenuid=WMM&src1=/catalog_htm/2003cat.htm&w3hostname=MCLEOD)