PDA

View Full Version : Fuel System Configuration

Damn True
10-24-2005, 03:18 PM
I will most likely start with a carb but would at some point like to upgrade to EFI.

Is it possible to get a fuel cell (Fuel Safe or similar) that would be compatible with the carb and easilly upgradeable to EFI?

Id hate to have to buy an entire second cell along with the eventual ~$3k cost of the EFI upgrade.

..and what is the damage going to be to the bottom line on this project from the above?

ProStreet R/T
10-24-2005, 03:32 PM
Sure you can use the same fuel cell, you just have to get it setup properly.

What HP range are you hoping for?
Will it be N/A or are you going to need a staged pump set for nitrous etc. ?
Having done a couple efi conversions it's really not that bad.
Are you looking for a generic type fuel cell or having a custom tank built?

Personally I like to build them on the excessively big side, makes for easy hp upgrades later down the road and so forth.

What I would want. 2 -8 feed lines in a rear sump going to the pump/s. You can always cap one if your not going to use it.
Single -8 top return port. If your going to run dual pumps make it a -10 return. There are some things you need to watch out for. For example if you run 2 big pumps be sure to baffle the tank and especially around the return. You can cause a vortex effect inside the tank which is very bad for the pumps and such.

Price totally depends on how extreme you go.

Damn True
10-24-2005, 03:58 PM
In all honesty it will probably never be more than about 550hp. I won't put NOS on it (bad experience with it in HS, long story) but it may get a centrifugal supercharger at some point after EFI.

If I can get something off the shelf that would be ideal. Less fuss.

67ragtp
10-24-2005, 04:51 PM
Im not an expert on this subject but have a similar situation. My car will initially be set up with a carb on a 427 sb and make 500ftlbs, I will switch to injection approx. a year later and as you know the manifold conversion w/throttle body, sensors and electronics will cost you 3k.

The fuel system is not going to be cheap either, I think you need to be concerned about fuel sloshing around in the tank and for fuel injection and long life from your pump a baffled tank may be in your best interest. I am going to use a modified rock valley tank to fit my mini tubbed first gen camaro. I recieved some great suggestions from Jody on the use of an aeromotive A-1000 pump which can be regulated down with a bypass regulator to run a carburator. Then when Im ready to switch, you only need to change the regulator for use with the FI. Aeromotive recomends this pump to have a 10an line from the tank to the pump, and a 10An on the outlet of the pump to the regulator up at the engine and an 8 an return line back to the tank. Hope this helps - Rich