PDA

View Full Version : Nagging 1st Gen Camaro Questions..

Y-TRY
10-19-2005, 12:51 AM
I know this could belong on a dedicated Camaro site, but this seems to be pretty close.. :D

There are two issues with my car that have ewxisted since day one and I can't figure them out. Maybe your experience can help me:

1) My clutch-fork goes into the bottom of the firewall. I've always had small blocks in the car with manual transmissions. Using either a stock or aftermarket bellhousing and/or fork, the fork pushes into the firewall behind it when depressed. It actually has pushed-in a hole about 5" wide and protrudes into the cabin-side by about 1.5 inches. This is with every fork/bellhousing combo I've had. For the pedal to have full range the firewall simply doesn't afford enough distance to allow for the fork. The frame-side engine mounts appear to be the right ones, and the engine seems to be sitting in the right place. Did automatic cars have a differently contoured firewall? Maybe I have a car that was later converted? If it weren't for the hole made by the fork, there's be no place for it to go. Depressing the clutch has just created a gaping hole. Have any of you seen this before?

2) The car sits crooked. I have talked with a few other Camaro guys who have the same problem. I thought that all the new suspension would alleviate any sagging or whatever, but the car still sits noticably higher to one side, when viewed from the rear. There is at least 1" difference between the tire/fender gaps between the sides. All of the body panels are straight and the gaps are even. I'm guessing that the rear subframe was tweaked prior to installing all the panels. It's almost like the suspension favors the passenger side so that they are even with a driver (only) in the car. Hmm.

I think these may be common issues seen by guys who restore these old cars, but I don't know. Any ideas? Any common stories?

XcYZ
10-19-2005, 07:41 AM
Which fork pivot do you have? It sounds like you have the short one. Have you tried an adjustable fork pivot?

Derek69SS
10-19-2005, 09:09 AM
My dad's '68 also suffers from the leaning problem, even after new springs. He thinks the subframe is tweaked though, as he bought it totalled in 1975 out of a local salvage-yard with heavy front-end damage.

Y-TRY
10-19-2005, 05:01 PM
I have the adjustable pivot, and it's meticulously set to the right distance. It's just weird. But the same problem occurred with factory fork and bellhousing in the car.

It was suggested to me once that I may have big block frame mounts, but I don't think so. The rest of the linkage is aligned great and everything. Simply nuts.

Rick Dorion
10-20-2005, 07:38 AM
The correct small block fork is GM # 3892632. I had that problem and replacing the fork (which sure did look the same) cured the issue. Also with the correct block to pivot ball distance which you said you have. Do you have a scattershield or anything non-stock.

TA219
10-20-2005, 08:18 AM
I cant tell you how my 1st gen will sit (if it will be higher on one side) but i can tell you that my 4th gen did the same thing. I never knew what caused it but it does not seem to be a rare occurrence

ArisESQ
12-04-2005, 12:49 AM
yea my 67' actually has that same leaning problem, and it been bothering the hell out of me... if anyone knows what causes this PLEASE post a reply... the car sits a good 1.5 inches lower on the driver side.