PDA

View Full Version : air compressor on the cheap

jeff5347
07-10-2009, 05:38 PM
hey guys,
i have looking and searching to see what type of AC i need but am a little confused on what will andwont work. i am looking to get into the deep of working on the camaro. i will be pulling the interior and underneath of the car and am looking to sand and paint the inside and underbody. i have a 3 gal tank now for tires and stuff but i know that wont do. so the tools i figure ill use right away are a da, cutoff wheel, impact wrench, and most tools for body work. i saw this and this looked good but not sure if it is the right ac. i cant spend a bunch but the 4-500 isnt ok.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100083906&N=10000003+90010+524403

any guidance as i am lost as to what i need would be great.

jeff

GregWeld
07-10-2009, 10:20 PM
It'll "do" but plan on spending a lot of time waiting for it to recover... but if that is your budget - then you don't have many options - short of buying a better USED version.

I have a BIG commercial compressor... well... big for a home shop... and I don't have to wait - but if I'm cranking with some high speed air tools - that baby is running A LOT!

It's a tool that will run lot of your other tools -- and you can never have enough air!

GregWeld
07-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Jeff -

You really need to shop for the tools you want to buy FIRST -- and see how much air they use (cfm) - and at what psi.... and then check the rating on the compressor you're interested in... you might be surprised to find out that the compressor is too small to supply the air for the tools you want.

If you buy a tool that needs 18 CFM @ 90 PSI -- and your compressor is rated at 12 CFM @ 75 PSI -- you're WAY BEHIND and will eventually just burn the poor thing up (the compressor that is).

jeff5347
07-11-2009, 12:26 AM
man, a 26 could be to small...? Haha i have a garage under my house that waas built in the 50s but would never fit a car the size of one made in the 50s. Weird. I thought 26 would be just right. I agree on the find the tools first to make sure you get the right compressor. Question... the AC at sears that are 60 gallons... are they any good. Could that handle a pretty good aray of body and mechanics air tools?

GregWeld
07-11-2009, 09:06 AM
Jeff ---

I went to Sears website -- a poor site at best when you're trying to find specifications... I finally found this info for the INGERSOL RAND 20 gallon 2 hp compressor... a similar version of what you were looking at:
Delivers 135 psi max with 5.5 cfm @ 90 psi.

Looking at Ingersol Rand air tools -- here's the air requirements:

IR DA sander - 17 CFM @ 90 psi
IR die grinder - 12 CFM @ 90 psi

A 20 gallon tank SOUNDS like a lot -- but it's really only good for maybe 3 or 4 minutes before the compressor kicks on - and then you'd be using 2 to 3 times what it can put out... so it can't catch up and you just run out of air....

I know this from experience! I finally gave the POS away and spent $2500 for a bottom of the line commercial unit.

TWO things I'd think about -- otherwise you're not going to be happy... Forget the compressor for now and buy ELECTRIC tools... there's lots of good electric hand tools around. They'd be a far better buy for you at this point on a budget - because instead of spending 500 on a tire inflator (all you'd get really) you could buy several good electric grinders - drills - impact wrench etc. #2 would be -- divorce -- marry a rich girl -- buy a serious compressor that will last you the rest of your life - and you'd be happy. :lol:

Just for instance -- here's only ONE angle die grinder I found -- it's a whopping $50 bucks and it's a name brand!

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/hitachi/G10SR3/

clill
07-11-2009, 09:41 AM
Greg must have already had his Starbucks this morning.....

GregWeld
07-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Greg must have already had his Starbucks this morning.....

EEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

Just trying to be helpful.... :willy:

jeff5347
07-12-2009, 10:15 PM
no thats def helpful. i never thought of just using electric tools. i see on that sight they sell electric sanders as well. great i think that will be the best way right now. then i can finally get going on the interior at least and then work under the car.
i was checking this out as the ysell it at home depot as well.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100671644&marketID=39&locStoreNum=2682&categoryID=500897

GregWeld
07-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Glad to be of some help!

Electrics are plentiful and work well -- and last long enough to do several cars...

One of my buddies said -- YEAH BUT -- Then I have to deal with a cord -- to which I replied - YEAH BUT - then you don't have to deal with an air hose - What the heck is the difference... He says -- oh yeah... forgot about that part.

:>)

Good luck with the project!

jcal87
07-12-2009, 11:41 PM
my friends dad emailed INGERSOL RAND and got a huge discount by just asking and negotiating 60 gallon and it works like a champ

jcal87
07-12-2009, 11:43 PM
by the way i wanna say he only payed like 500 or 700 for it and that thing gets the job done