PDA

View Full Version : Santa made us do it.

clill
12-30-2004, 11:28 AM
Malitude and Thrasher have new old homes.

907rs
12-30-2004, 11:30 AM
So, tell us the story Charley........

Ummgawa
12-30-2004, 11:32 AM
Homes? Plural? So, Maltitude is in one Garage of yours and Thrasher is in the Other?

Please tell...

907rs
12-30-2004, 11:34 AM
You traded Thrasher for Malitude?

camcojb
12-30-2004, 11:42 AM
http://www.camcojb.com/tm1.jpg

Jody

jonny51
12-30-2004, 11:44 AM
So mark is the owner of both cars?Man Thrasher still looks like it was built yesterday,love that car.

Congrats Charley cant wait to see maltitude at a show.

camcojb
12-30-2004, 11:45 AM
So mark is the owner of both cars?Man Thrasher still looks like it was built yesterday,love that car.

Nope, Bill has it right above.

Jody

clill
12-30-2004, 11:47 AM
Mark now owns the Thrasher and I now own Malitude. New old homes because I got the Thrasher from Mark and Mark got Malitude from me. The pic was taken from Marks driveway. He is kinda cooped up for the winter. We out west forget how winters change everything.

907rs
12-30-2004, 11:47 AM
Cool pic wth them back to back like that. Hey Charley, when did it snow? JK!

Now how is Mark going to build another car with both of those in that garage?

907rs
12-30-2004, 11:48 AM
Never mind that last post :D

jonny51
12-30-2004, 11:49 AM
Congrats Charley cant wait to see maltitude at a show.

BC69
12-30-2004, 11:56 AM
Man that had to be hard to give up Thrasher, thats one amazing car, but I hope you get to stretch Maltitude legs at some tracks and have fun like you did with Thrasher.

Tim

Ummgawa
12-30-2004, 12:00 PM
Those two cars together, Like a double date with Angelina Jolie and Ashley Judd...'cept better. These two still look this good in the morning. :D

XcYZ
12-30-2004, 12:19 PM
Jody, that's an awesome pic of the two cars together. Do you (or Mark or Charley) have it in a higher resolution?

Stuart Adams
12-30-2004, 12:37 PM
Driving the yellow car gave Charley a new disease called Turbo/Superchargitis.
The Mule, Malitude, MB. No cure available Charley. Cool cars.

Ricochet
12-30-2004, 01:27 PM
Congrats to both Charlie & Mark. Of all the cars Mark has built, obviously he still had a little something for Thrasher. Tough call for me. I like them both. Although I'm a Camaro nut, it's nice to see something different from time to time. Mark did an awesome job Malitude. Typical for him, though. Hopefully we'll see more like it in the future.

Hey Charlie..Seeing that were kind of neighbors & all, I would like to come see it in person once you get it if that's ok.

zbugger
12-30-2004, 02:33 PM
Damn.... Nice deal. Looks like its time for another little drive. That burger place made a good lunch. I need a reason to go back up there. A burger isn't m uch of a reason. Hey, I have an idea. Wanna trade the mule for my car? Hmmm... No, that wouldn't be an even exchange. I can't gve up that much Oh well. I hope you have lots of fun with that car Chuck. Time for Lucy to pull the football away now. Crap. There goes my medication wearing off again......

galopin
12-30-2004, 09:20 PM
Is Mark going to keep the Thrasher as is or does he plan to make a modification or two?

c.schulz
12-30-2004, 10:30 PM
What a crazy world we live in!! :p :confused:

clill
12-30-2004, 11:14 PM
I think Mark is debating putting a lighter engine in it and doing some track stuff. He can't do too much for awhile seeing all that snow on the ground. He hadn't seen it in a few years so its kinda like a reunion with a old Friend. I think it is almost exactly the same as when I got it. I think I had to put a battery in it but that is about it. Oil changes is about all it needed.I don't think I ever even needed to adjust the valves. Come to think of it, that was about the most trouble free car I have owned. Hey, wait a minute. What have I done ? ;)

clill
01-12-2005, 09:37 PM
It's finally here. Drives nice. Mark was right on in his description of it being docile until you nail the throttle , then it gets pissed off.

Fluid Power
01-12-2005, 09:40 PM
SWEET!

Darren

camcojb
01-12-2005, 09:53 PM
I feel a visit coming on! :yes:

Jody

zbugger
01-12-2005, 10:13 PM
I feel a visit coming on! :yes:

Jody

Damn you Jody, you live too close.

Ummgawa
01-12-2005, 10:34 PM
So Jody

Is that a Goodwood Green 73 SuperDuty Trans Am AND a 70 RAIII T/A in the background of the Maltitude Picture? Holy Cow I want to be Charley when I grow up. :D

Charley, for you... :hail:

camcojb
01-12-2005, 11:17 PM
So Jody

Is that a Goodwood Green 73 SuperDuty Trans Am AND a 70 RAIII T/A in the background of the Maltitude Picture? Holy Cow I want to be Charley when I grow up. :D

Charley, for you... :hail:

Jim,

Not a Pontiac expert but you're probably correct. He's started collecting the Pontiacs all of a sudden, and they are nice.

Jody

camcojb
01-12-2005, 11:18 PM
Damn you Jody, you live too close.

You're not much further are you Allen? I'm 45-50 minutes away.

Jody

jonny51
01-12-2005, 11:36 PM
ewwwwwwwww the 73 SD TA nice :_party:

Is that a blue 70 on the other side?

zbugger
01-12-2005, 11:50 PM
I know Charley will pipe in, but I thought it was a '73 and a '74. Something like that. I don't remember too well. I was droolin pretty heavily at the time and my ears were ringing.

Jody, If I had the twin turbo's I could be there in about 10 minutes, but I don't. I'm about an hour further away than you are. Can you hear Charley with that loud sigh of relief?

Can anyone say "Goodguys Pleasanton Gettogether"? :unibrow:

clill
01-12-2005, 11:57 PM
Green one is a Brewster Green 73 Trans Am SD455, Blue one is a 72 Trans Am 455HO car.

XcYZ
01-13-2005, 07:50 AM
That's a cool pic. :yes:

Ummgawa
01-13-2005, 08:04 AM
Charley dont the SD's and the HO's have the same round port heads? I have a soft spot for the Pontiacs.

Sorry on the Nomenclature, I think Goodwood and Brewster Green are basically the same color just for different years (72-73). Only Green car I have ever liked. I really like the look of the 70 - 73's with the Endura bumpers.

I just passed on a 70 Trans am, 4 speed RAIII car rough as a Cat's tounge but all there, no rust but looks like Ray Charles took driving lessons in it. Dented from stem to stern. I have too much to do as it is.

Real nice Pontiacs Charley.

Teetoe_Jones
01-13-2005, 10:32 AM
You let my second favorite car go?
Well, now that the Thrasher is back to Mark, and Jeff has Tri-Tip, and you have the Mule, it only seems fair to sell me the Red Witch. It's my all time favorite car, and my reason for being into Pro-Touring. I guess I owe Mark a big thanks for the 'spark of interest' he lit in me when I saw the rendering of that car in Hot Rod a long time back.
Does anyone have that rendering of the Red Witch? It was a silver 67 Camaro with revised front aerodynamics, 18 in 5 spokes, and a yellow Chevy BowTie graphic on the side door into the 1/4 panels.
So how about it Charley? Where do I send the cashier's check?
Tyler

jonny51
01-13-2005, 10:47 AM
Charley dont the SD's and the HO's have the same round port heads? I have a soft spot for the Pontiacs.

Jim,they both used round port heads.The SD heads from what I remember are unique to the SD455 TA with bigger valves and a few other things I can't remember.
Hey Charley is the shaker still non-functional or did somebody drill it out?Oh one last thing TH400 or rockcrusher?

:_party:

61Bubbletop
01-13-2005, 11:19 AM
Congrats Charley, I am fortunate to have seen it in person (couple of times) I can surely add creedance to the claim of how neat the Malibu is...what is really amazing to me, is how current the Thrasher looks to this day, shows how far ahead of the curve Mark really was (and is)...More importantly, I want to know if you have an "Atom" in your future? :yes:

clill
01-13-2005, 11:20 AM
Teetoe... Red Witch has pretty much been my favorite cruiser. It is back at Wheel to Wheel. Mark is going to update the car for me. No it won't be for sale....
The heads on the 73 74 SD 455's hvae such big intake ports they had to cast steel tubes into the heads for the pushrods to pass through. If you look in the intake port you can see the side of the tube exposed.
I am redoing a red SD and it has had the shaker opened up. The green on I think has not been opned yet....I guess that is another thing to put on my to do list.

clill
01-13-2005, 11:34 AM
Intake port on a SD455..also notice all the extra webbing around the lifter bores.

mdprovee
01-13-2005, 12:51 PM
Ummm, excuse me Charley, did you want to adopt a son. He is self supporting, only requires a few car rides a month. Great Collection. Congrats!

Mike

clill
01-13-2005, 01:06 PM
And no there is no Atom in my future. I did show it to Mark though and he thought it looked pretty easy to build.

jonny51
01-13-2005, 01:25 PM
Any plans to show the SD locally this year?

Ummgawa
01-13-2005, 02:07 PM
Weren't the SD blocks and motors made in conjunction with an outside source(Herb Adams I think), I can't remember the guys name. But wasn't the blocks set up for cam driven dry sump oiling and 4 bolt mains, Big rods, steel cranks and those wicked heads and intake? Rumor was they even painted them a different color of blue (Year One has a color called Super Duty Blue) so the emissions boys could tell the difference when testing. They were just "detuned" or smogged down from what I recall.

Ummgawa
01-13-2005, 02:13 PM
Charley

If you are looking to make the Shakers functional or they are tired and don't work properly, I found this web site. It may help you or who ever is redoing the shaker assemblies. Hope this helps:

http://www.pontiactransamshakers.homestead.com/

Looks like a good solution that has a factory correct look. Thanks for sharing the pix of the collection and the Pontiacs.

jonny51
01-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Jim,I found this web page about 1973 Super Duty TAs.Its a pretty good read.

http://www.iwaynet.net/~gl&lisk/1973ta.html

Ricochet
01-13-2005, 03:20 PM
The Super Duty's were awesome cars. I have a close friend here that has the 2nd SD that rolled of the line. The first one I believe was a Green automatic car, his is a white 4spd car that is 100% all original. The motor has been freshend up but still remians factory original bore & specs. It has 92K miles on it. He bought it from the original owner. Extremely nice car.

Charlie, I didn't know you were into Pontiacs also. I didn't see any when I was there. I guess other than the Malitude I have yet another reason to come take a second look at your collection. :thumbsup:

clill
01-13-2005, 03:34 PM
Red SD I am redoing...slowly

Musclerodz
01-13-2005, 04:31 PM
Teeto originally wrote: Does anyone have that rendering of the Red Witch? It was a silver 67 Camaro with revised front aerodynamics, 18 in 5 spokes, and a yellow Chevy BowTie graphic on the side door into the 1/4 panels. Tyler, this is the best I could do. My scanner is broke right now. It was in March '96 HOT ROD. Red Witch is also my favorite of all of Mark's cars. Damn him, look what he made us do! :thumbsup:

Mike

XcYZ
01-13-2005, 04:34 PM
Excellent find, Mike. That goes back a ways.

Teetoe_Jones
01-13-2005, 05:27 PM
Nice one Mike- That is the one. That brings back memories of High School U.S. History class, and me drooling over that image.
Clill- Updating the Red Witch eh? Sounds interesting. I know you'll never sell that car, but if you ever do, I want on the list.
Tyler

clill
01-13-2005, 07:25 PM
No we are not doing twin turbos before anyone asks..Bigger crank, different intake and a general updating. The car is 10 years old. Car will look the same from the outside.....And getting rid of the dent in the fuel cell and right muffler from one of Marks off track excursions during One Lap.

Stuart Adams
01-13-2005, 07:57 PM
Never is not in Charley's vocab.

Musclerodz
01-13-2005, 08:08 PM
Charley, I don't ever remember reading anywhere that Red Witch did compete in One Lap. I remember it was being built for it, but never heard any results. How did the car do? How does it compare to the others you own?

Mike

clill
01-13-2005, 08:31 PM
It ran but I think broke a offset rocker arm in BFE that ended any chances. Someone else will remember than me. Brent...will your buddy sell that SD ?

MarkM66
01-14-2005, 12:21 PM
Mike,

Do a search on Hot Rod's website for the Red Witch doing the one lap. Last time I checked, it was all there.

Ummgawa
01-14-2005, 02:39 PM
I 'm sorry to harp on the 74 SD T/A, but didn't the shaker stay non functional per the factory due to the noise it made at WOT(seriously)? I know this sounds hokey but I swear to ya I'm searchin my memory banks and info on T/A's I've had for 20+ years. It has been good to read back on this old info, its like finding an old box of GM parts you took off your ZL-1 engine. I'l have to dig up my old burnt "Cars I wish I Still had now" Pix (my house burned down when I was in 10th grade).

Sorry to ramble, but are there any other stories about old High School Cars out there?

Ricochet
01-14-2005, 06:09 PM
Charlie-

I would probably say he will not sell it. He has had it for for about 18 years now. He has a small collection, but states that is one that he will never sell. He bought it from a close firend who was the original owner from San Jose, who unfortunately has sinced passed away. So I know there is a sentimental attachment there as well. I will ask him though, I'll see him tomorrow.

Brent

Ricochet
01-14-2005, 09:21 PM
Charlie-

I just called my friend John and talked to him about selling the SD. He laughed, He said no way. He said that would be the last car he would ever sell. Sorry....

Brent

Ummgawa
01-14-2005, 09:33 PM
To Whom it may Concern:

Here is a nice SD if anybody here is looking for one:

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/7/0/76672370.htm

Still There!! Even has the working seat belt reset switch on the fender well (note florescent orange/silver celenoid with black switch on top). If you got in the car, did not hook the seat belt, the car would not crank. You had to get out open the hoos push the reset button to recrank. Only Year to have it. My 74 Z-28 has the same option.