PDA

View Full Version : Camaro/Chevelle/Nova steering arm questions?

Derek69SS
10-14-2005, 01:14 PM
I'm wondering which steering arms, if any, interchange from F, A, & X body cars. I know they all bolt to the spindle the same, but don't know if the geometry is different on the steering arms.

My dad has a '68 camaro with disc spindles from a '73 nova, I haven't inspected yet to see if the arms are the same, but I have a pair of swap-meet spindles supposedly from a '69 Nova, and the steering arms look entirely different than the ones off Dad's old drum spindles he took off his Camaro. The Nova spindles on his camaro still have the nova arms on them, so I'm not sure if there will be bump-steer issues or anything from the steering arm location possibly being different.

Then there's the case with my chevelle, I have a pair of steering arms off the '68 camaro drums, and the arms off the '69 Nova discs. Will either of these work, or do I need to find a pair off a chevelle? I gave away my drum spindles a few years ago, so I don't have the original steering arms :(

jannes_z-28
10-14-2005, 01:22 PM
The spindles are the same but the arms are different. Chevelle arms points forward and Camaro/Nova points rearward. So they are not interchangeable.

Jan

Derek69SS
10-14-2005, 01:45 PM
What about camaro vs. nova? Are they the same? My dad's camaro has nova arms on it, so if they're different I would suspect bumpsteer might be a problem. I haven't driven it since the disc-swap, so I don't know if it's OK or not.

The "69 nova" spindles I bought at a swap-meet have different arms than dad's '68 drum spindles had. Maybe I got lucky and the ones I bought are actually for a Chevelle :unibrow:

Musclerodz
10-14-2005, 04:01 PM
I think David Pozzi has some of that info on his site. I think there are a couple different arms for "F" and "X" bodies depending on power or manual or something along those lines.

Mike

MarkM66
10-14-2005, 04:03 PM
Yeah, check out Pozzi's web site. I think there are either short are long steering arms. Both will work, but steering ratio will change slightly.

Rick Dorion
10-15-2005, 09:20 AM
For the camaro, there's three lengths . I beleive David's site specs all of them out.

David Pozzi
10-23-2005, 12:19 AM
I have specs and forging/part numbers on my web page.
As far as I know, the Nova stuff up to 1974 is exactly the same as first gen Camaro.
David

http://www.PozziRacing.com

Derek69SS
10-23-2005, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the info, I crawled under the cars, and it looks like the arms on Dad's camaro look the same as what was on it, so no problem there.

The arms on the set of "69 Nova" spindles I bought at a swap meet have A-body arms on them, so I'm good there too :cool: