PDA

View Full Version : who can check my geometry for me?

62fairlane
10-10-2005, 10:25 PM
I am goig ot start producing some geometry and trying to refine it on thursday - saturday and was wondering who would be willing to look at what I got and make suggestions to me (prefromance trends software) I have a parametric 3d model (ie can simply change dimensions locating my points and have all teh drawings change for me) so was looking to try and have some fast iterations over those couple of days.

sinned
10-10-2005, 11:23 PM
Give me all the x,y,z dimensions and a weeK or so and I'll get it done on Wnigeo. I leave for a week on Saturday and the next few days will be busy getting ready so be patient.

62fairlane
10-27-2005, 08:50 PM
here is where I am after a night of tweaking stuff a bit. currently this places my rack slightly inside the oilpan....BUT I think there is room to clearance the pan? mostly right now I am focusing on the head on geometry as it is the most important on laying out chassis mounts and arms. let me know what you think guys..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/purf_man/sr%20design/fairlane.jpg

mostly only the stuff at the top is real important for this...

sinned
10-27-2005, 09:48 PM
If you could increase KPI it would help with your SR quite a bit. 3.90" is a lot of scrub. How is the RC migration? PT will check it in animated mode.

62fairlane
10-28-2005, 11:26 AM
opps I had the wrong track width in there....but the correct pivot points so it was killing me with +1" on each side for the scrub!!! fixed that this morning and moved the upper BJ inward a little and moved the upper arm pivot inboard a little more too.

in my design the tie rods are parallel to the lower arms and the angle upward form the center of the car. I know they should try to maintain a parallel arrangement to help keep bump under control but raising the rack right now means having to raise the ride height to get it to stay under the oil pan. as it sits in CAD right now they barely interfer but we drew in some parts like that a little oversized to make sure we had clearance in the end.

62fairlane
11-04-2005, 11:06 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/purf_man/sr%20design/fairlane.jpg

this is the most up to date version I have going. I think that everything looks pretty good with it myself. I may pull the upper arm mounts inboard an inch though just because I am not liking the idea of arms that short on top (~8" currently) the other problem I have is that the rack has been lowered alot to clear the oilpan (pump sump)

62fairlane
11-14-2005, 07:18 PM
so is 12-14 degrees of kingpin angle and caster too much? it seems like they like to balance out almost to keep the tire fairly upright while turning. also how much scrub could I get away with on the street? (car will have power steering) currently I am around 1.75" of scrub but didn't know if I could go higher like 3"and still be ok?