PDA

View Full Version : Painting the enigine?

2kx2
10-09-2005, 08:25 PM
What types of paints can you use on an engine block. I know of the high temp engine paints but they don't come in very wide variety of colors.

I have seen show cars with the engine painted the same color as the exterior. Is this simply regular automotive paint? Wouldn't the shine cook off from the engine temps?

Someone please help me with this delima. I would really like to do a paint match for the engine block and heads but don't know what types of paint to use.

Thanks

protour
10-09-2005, 11:44 PM
A better question would include what parts you want painted?

My buddy painted his aluminum block.. Well not really, he polished it then cleared it with normal clear. It's still on there looking great.... LSX intakes have been painted and cleared with normal paint aswell.

-Matt

Musclerodz
10-10-2005, 12:34 AM
Most all paints will hold up on an engine block. The block itself will never get hot enough to cook the paint off it. You can paint it with just about anything you want. A trick to make spraybomb paint hard as hell is to bake it at 300* for 30 min after it has sat long enough for the surface to dry enough to handle. Just don't let your wife find car parts in the oven. Ask me how I know!

Mike

evilzee28
10-10-2005, 03:18 AM
Hi 2kx2, as musclerodz says, most paints will hold up on an engine, but preparation is very important. Make sure there's no flaky original paint on there, & absolutely NO oil. Clean the engine & all of the nooks & crannies with a wire brush & then wipe down several times with a degreaser prior to painting. Etch prime first with something like PPG Universel (acid based) & then paint with your chosen paint. For durability I'd spray it with a good quality 2k. I tend to spray engines without the thinners added as it has a higher build & fills in a lot of the small casting indents.... hth :)

2kx2
10-10-2005, 08:08 AM
Thanks for all of the replies. I am wanting to paint the block, heads, and accessories. The car is black and I'm, adding charcoal grey, and some red accents.

I want to paint the enigne charcoal grey too, since the valve covers are going to be black with chrome and red accents.

I was also told that you have to use a lacquer paint on engines.

TravisB
10-10-2005, 09:21 AM
Thanks for all of the replies. I am wanting to paint the block, heads, and accessories. The car is black and I'm, adding charcoal grey, and some red accents.

I want to paint the enigne charcoal grey too, since the valve covers are going to be black with chrome and red accents.

I was also told that you have to use a lacquer paint on engines.

regular bc/cc will work great as everyone else has said! but do not use lacquer!

bigtyme1
05-06-2007, 09:04 PM
Hi 2kx2, as musclerodz says, most paints will hold up on an engine, but preparation is very important. Make sure there's no flaky original paint on there, & absolutely NO oil. Clean the engine & all of the nooks & crannies with a wire brush & then wipe down several times with a degreaser prior to painting. Etch prime first with something like PPG Universel (acid based) & then paint with your chosen paint. For durability I'd spray it with a good quality 2k. I tend to spray engines without the thinners added as it has a higher build & fills in a lot of the small casting indents.... hth :)

Would Epoxy make sence?

wiedemab
05-07-2007, 09:10 AM
but do not use lacquer!

I think that's a pretty good rule of thumb statement any more - that is unless you are restoring a grand piano.