PDA

View Full Version : Chassis for 68 camaro roadster and c4 susp

ilovefirstgens
10-07-2005, 04:42 PM
Well to get the backround look over at my post in introductions.

So I'm planning out the build of my 68 soon to be roadster and the chassis,
I'll have a complete undammaged early c4 (84-87) to use as a donor, and the more parts i can use off that the better.

It will be a strict 2 seater with some sort of toneau cover, and i have no problem with big door bars, thats how i usually get in and out of convertibles anyway haha. So there arent really limits to where things can be routed, however am looking to make nothing aside from seat hoops be set over the doorline of the car. Also as this car will get a ton of miles put on it would like to keep as much of the structure away from under the car, as its a royal pain trying to mauver over the occasional speed bump with full lengthe headers and a big drop as is.

Ive got a good enough budget to spend on this conversion say $6k+/- for parts, as I do all my own work, not including the parts car.

So what im looking to fond out is where to start, ive got the time and dedication to do it, but unfortuantely have never built a chassis, nor can tig. For those of you who have built something like this where should I research or read up in order to start designing and building it!

Thanks guys

TravisB
10-07-2005, 05:03 PM
Do you plan on building your own front sub??????? or making brackets on the existing frame to hold your c4 stuff????

ilovefirstgens
10-07-2005, 05:13 PM
Well a very strange combo of my sub, the c4s framerails, and square tubing

TravisB
10-07-2005, 05:21 PM
OK......as far as the cage I would basically do your front strut bars make them bolt in to the firewall the non the back side of your firewall you have your under dash bar make a plate off of that that will tie the front and under dash together....hope that made since! Then procede with a regular roll cage just make your main hoop the appropriate height, then tie in your door bars and your rear strut bars! You would basically be building a normal cage with a mini main hoop!

of course you wouldn't have to cage it there are many converts without cages and they do fine! Prodigy comes to mind but there car has a full frame under which would help tremendously!

ilovefirstgens
10-07-2005, 06:13 PM
ahh damn that sounds way too simple haha, and i know exactly what youre sayin, ive put a cage in a car before so i guess if i just chopped up my existing sub modded it to accept parts of the c4 frame rails i could be getting myself in much less trouble, however i would still haveto do something strange with the steering...

So to save a ton of time and probably money as well should i just buy a wayne due c4 frame all the parts, put that in then, put in the cage, then chop off the roof clean everything up and call it a day...

damn that only sounds like a few months of work... maybe body mods and paint too

Marcus SC&C
10-09-2005, 12:28 PM
Something to look out for is that the C4 uses a lot of engine setback compared to the Camaro. They`re basically front mid engine. If you keep your wheelbase the same you`ll have to move the firewall back,move the pedals,shifter,column etc. I`m not saying that`s a bad thing mind you. It`s great for the car`s weight distribution but having done it I can tell ya it`s a LOT of work. That`s why folks like Wayne Due make their own subframe,cut the C4 steering arms off the knuckles,fab new ones and use a different R&P in a lower location (to clear the motor). Marcus SC&C

ilovefirstgens
10-09-2005, 01:17 PM
Alright well it looks like i would be saving myself a bunch of truoble to jus get an aftermarket front clip, now im just torn between using the waynd due c4 and all my donor parts, or selling the front donor parts and putting that and a little more cash towards a c5 setup, what kind of gains could there be over the c4.

If im gonna replace the sub then weld it to the cage i want to make sure I can be happy with it. Any suggestions?

ProdigyCustoms
10-09-2005, 01:33 PM
Just go to our site and look at Prodigy, it is exactly what you are talking about, with 4 seats. Full frame, C4 front and rear, Smooth bottom, nothing under the car. You can check out the finished car at SEMA.

ProdigyCustoms.com

ilovefirstgens
10-11-2005, 09:03 PM
haha well aside from the budget, exactly! haha
Im gonna go ahead and get wayne due c4 front and rear, might as well save the cash for wheels tires brakes and interior, not to mention engine mods