PDA

View Full Version : 4L80E In A 67?

rockertype
10-02-2005, 04:21 AM
Does anyone know of a place that makes a crossmember for installing a 4L80E in a 67 Camaro? I'd rather not spend the rest of the season trying to fabricate one myself! Bowtie Overdrives does not have one for the F body yet. Thanks in advance guys. :(

protour
10-02-2005, 07:31 PM
Does anyone know of a place that makes a crossmember for installing a 4L80E in a 67 Camaro? I'd rather not spend the rest of the season trying to fabricate one myself! Bowtie Overdrives does not have one for the F body yet. Thanks in advance guys. :(

For the Chevelles...The 4l60e and T-56 crossmember is the same for a 4l80e tranny... Not too sure about Camaro's though?

Just some food for thought.

-Matt

camcojb
10-02-2005, 07:50 PM
For the Chevelles...The 4l60e and T-56 crossmember is the same for a 4l80e tranny... Not too sure about Camaro's though?

Just some food for thought.

-Matt

I guess you guys can slide the crossmember back on the frame rails? There's a big difference in how far back the trans mount pad is on a 4L60 and a 4L80. Plus on the Camaro's you can't move the crossmember back nearly enough.

Jody

protour
10-02-2005, 08:07 PM
I guess you guys can slide the crossmember back on the frame rails? There's a big difference in how far back the trans mount pad is on a 4L60 and a 4L80. Plus on the Camaro's you can't move the crossmember back nearly enough.

Jody

You half framers you! I actually was able to pretty much use my factory tranny crossmember holes :) The tranny mount of course differs but the crossmember itself is nothing different.

-Matt

camcojb
10-02-2005, 08:18 PM
You half framers you! I actually was able to pretty much use my factory tranny crossmember holes :) The tranny mount of course differs but the crossmember itself is nothing different.

-Matt

That's weird. The 4L80E is at least 6-8" further back for the mount pad than the 4L60's. I have no idea how you could use the stock holes. The mount is a normal TH350/400/whatever deal, at least as far as bolt pattern.

The 4L80E is longer than all of them, and the mount pad is literally at the end of the trans right under the rear seal. Not just after the pan with a tailshaft housing hanging behind it.

Jody

protour
10-02-2005, 08:34 PM
That's weird. The 4L80E is at least 6-8" further back for the mount pad than the 4L60's. I have no idea how you could use the stock holes. The mount is a normal TH350/400/whatever deal, at least as far as bolt pattern.

The 4L80E is longer than all of them, and the mount pad is literally at the end of the trans right under the rear seal. Not just after the pan with a tailshaft housing hanging behind it.

Jody

Did I forget to mention the crossmember was reversed? I stink I did :willy:

-Matt

rockertype
10-03-2005, 02:50 AM
Matt, are you saying that you used a 400 crossmember reversed - that reached far enough back to grab the mounting holes on the trans? :unibrow:

protour
10-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Matt, are you saying that you used a 400 crossmember reversed - that reached far enough back to grab the mounting holes on the trans? :unibrow:

Essentially yes. I used the BMR conversion kit but the crossmember is pretty damn near identical to the stock one. I'd give it a go :yes:

-Matt

rockertype
10-04-2005, 03:34 AM
Thanks Matt. I will have to give your idea a shot first! :thumbsup:

protour
10-05-2005, 04:48 PM
Thanks Matt. I will have to give your idea a shot first! :thumbsup:

No problem budday! I like to save a buck here and there and when I can, I like to let other car nuts know. I find more fun in building a budget car then a "Heres my Visa card". Now before someone bends me over for that comment. Those builds can be equally as fun. :unibrow:

-Matt