PDA

View Full Version : April 09 Feature: James Shipka's One Lap Camaro

XcYZ
03-31-2009, 09:13 PM
The April Feature of the Month is James Shipka's 67 Camaro. It's a fantastic blend of performance and fit and finish. James' build shows that you can have a performance car that looks as good as it goes. I think it's safe to say that anyone that has seen his car has become a fan.

www.Lateral-g.net/members/shipka

http://www.lateral-g.net/members/shipka/LEAD_Shipka.jpg (http://www.lateral-g.net/members/shipka/)

VP23271
03-31-2009, 09:16 PM
She is a beauty! Congrats!

skatinjay27
03-31-2009, 10:04 PM
ahh, a car only the gods hands could have built themself! lol

hands down the baddest 67 eva!!!!!!!!!!!
and james is a pretty cool guy to boot.

youthpastor
03-31-2009, 10:14 PM
one of my favorites- coil mounts - coolness- radiator support, etc etc...sweet, must be seen in person!!!:D

Flash68
04-01-2009, 02:11 AM
Beautiful car. Definitely one of my favorites. Very deserving!

Spiffav8
04-01-2009, 02:18 AM
Well deserved! Congrats James!!!

:hail:

slck6t9
04-01-2009, 08:37 AM
As said before, the BADDEST 67 ever!!

Mr.VENGEANCE
04-01-2009, 09:06 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/fyl46q.jpg

MarkM66
04-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Really cool.

Do you still plan on doing the "One Lap?"

Rybar
04-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Unbelievable car James, the attention to detail is phenomenal :hail:

One of my favorite first gens on the site for sure, and another Canadian to boot! :thumbsup:

Great story, loved all the history build-up towards the actual build of the car!! :cheers:

chr2002ca
04-01-2009, 12:55 PM
I saw this car in person at the Costa Mesa event and it's unfreakin' real. I was just totally blown away. It's a real masterpiece. It's another example of why none of the magazines will respond to my submittals....because of truly exceptional builds like yours!!!! I don't know whether to laugh or cry! :hail:

Congratulations man! Well done! :thumbsup:

jack67rs
04-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Congrats! Look forward to seeing it in person this weekend at Del Mar. 67's rule :thumbsup:

Ricochet
04-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Congrats & well deserved James!! This car hands down was in my Top 5 at SEMA. The attention to detail is as good as it gets! For those going to Del Mar - you are in for a treat!

nvr2fst
04-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Congrats James, one of my favorites.
BTW Lets see if Rupp chimes in on Scott choosing the photo with the front wheel turned LOL
Dave

awr68
04-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Congrats on the feature it is well deserved!! :thumbsup:

ItDoRun
04-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Beautiful car! I love the stance! :thumbsup:

tones2SS
04-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Congrats James.
That is one really nice car you have there!!!:thumbsup: :hail:

John510
04-03-2009, 10:26 PM
What kind of brake booster is that and where can I get one? AWESOME CAR!!!!:hail:

James OLC
04-04-2009, 12:21 AM
Hey everybody - thanks for the kind words and compliments I really do appreciate them.

When Scott asked me about writing something for the feature I was a little bit unsure of what to write. Over the last three years, there have been so many posts about the car I really didn't want to rehash stuff that people had seen, or read, before; the last thing that I want to do is bore people with the same old same old. Instead I thought that I would offer some background on how I got to the point that I was able to put the car together. Like I tried to say in the write-up, the OneLapCamaro didn't just "happen" - nor did my skills, goals, or ability. It took time, trial and error, and constant (personal) growth. And it took help - lots of help.

On that note, though, I would be happy to answer any questions on parts, pieces, or whatever... assuming I make it through Del Mar in one piece. I'm still finding new and exciting issues to deal with and while I was hot lapping on the autocross course today another one came to light - darn... Nothing major but tore up a tire pretty good. I think I have is sorted out for tomorrow but only time will tell.

John... the brakes are manual (no boosters). The pedals and master cylinders are by Tilton; the reservoirs are from CV products.

And while I'm here - thank you so much to everybody (people and companies) who have helped me to this point - I could not have doen this without all of you. And special recognition to my sponsors, who helped me out despite the fact that I am just a nobody hobbiest from Canada:

Chris Heighton and the crew at Heighton Restorations
Marquez Design - American Touring Specialties - ISIS Intelligent Multiplex System - Rick's Stainless - Tilton - Ididit - Lateral Dynamics
Lateral-g Webdesign - Midnite Octane

68/Camaro
04-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Congratulation James! One Killer Looking Camaro!:thumbsup:

buickfunnycar.com
04-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Awesome car:hail: ...I'll get my first up and close session with it this wknd,both top and...most importantly...the bottom of this work of art:unibrow:
I am the fortunate one to see both Penny and now Not Penny...I'll take pictures.:unibrow:

Matt@BOS
04-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Really cool car you've got there. I got to see it when I was dropping by Best of Show to check on my project, I thought it was Penny at first :lol: No, actually when I saw it, I couldn't help but drool over all of the little details on the car.

One question too, what kind of door sill plates do you have? I seem to remember them being carbon fiber, or finished with it, did you make them?

Matt

ironworks
04-10-2009, 11:42 AM
About a month ago now I got to spend some with this car and James for a few days. James has built a very nice car, the paint work is amazing and the details on this car are never ending. James really did his homework when he built this car, He has really put togther a well balanced selection of parts and installed very cleanly. James's car is a show car that he intends to beat on and never put up on top of mirrors again. He is ultra detail oriented and wants everything to not just be nice but perfect.

This is one of my all time favorites.

Nice car James, :thumbsup:

James OLC
04-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Really cool car you've got there. I got to see it when I was dropping by Best of Show to check on my project, I thought it was Penny at first :lol: No, actually when I saw it, I couldn't help but drool over all of the little details on the car.

One question too, what kind of door sill plates do you have? I seem to remember them being carbon fiber, or finished with it, did you make them?

Matt

Thanks Matt - your project looks like it is going to be really cool.

The sill panels are nothing special -just generic plastic that looks like carbon. Better than the stockers and pretty cheap. I think that I got them at Firewheel Classics.

James OLC
04-11-2009, 09:40 PM
About a month ago now I got to spend some with this car and James for a few days. James has built a very nice car, the paint work is amazing and the details on this car are never ending. James really did his homework when he built this car, He has really put togther a well balanced selection of parts and installed very cleanly. James's car is a show car that he intends to beat on and never put up on top of mirrors again. He is ultra detail oriented and wants everything to not just be nice but perfect.

This is one of my all time favorites.

Nice car James, :thumbsup:

Thanks again for the hospitality Rodger. If anyone has the opportunity to swing by Inronworks Speed and Kustom in Bakersfield you will be amazed at the quality and variety of projects that Rodger has on the go.

I never really intended for the car to come out as well - appearance wise - as it did. Hat's off the Chris and everybody at Heighton Restorations. It's by no means perfect but I think that the details are there.

Some more pictures from Del Mar of the car in action...

http://www.onelapcamaro.com/california/del%20mar%20optima%203.jpg

http://www.onelapcamaro.com/california/del%20mar%20optima%204.jpg

http://www.onelapcamaro.com/california/del%20mar%20optima%205.jpg

James OLC
04-11-2009, 09:42 PM
it`s great to be able to get the car out and spend some time with some increadible people...

http://www.onelapcamaro.com/california/del%20mar%20optima%201.jpg

buickfunnycar.com
04-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Great picture^^^^.:thumbsup:

I stopped in @ Dave & Mary's yesterday and am getting quite spoiled looking at perfect 1968 Camaro's,lol.:yes: First Penny,now the One Lap Camaro...both simply awesome cars.

What amazes me most about this car is the paint and the attention to detail.
The amount of time spent color-sanding and buffing this car really shows in the end result,I looked as hard as I could when it was on the lift under the harsh shop lights and could not find one spec of orange peel,having painted cars,it was amazing to me to see just how perfect the rockers were,just a flawless speciment...job well done indeed!:hail:

It is as beautiful on the underside as it is on top.Most awesome and I'm thankful I got the opportunity to see it in that setting and snap photographs.:cheers:

skatinjay27
04-13-2009, 02:14 PM
yeah, john i was the same way when it was on tyler lift!

pst. its got wing windows(67).lol

buickfunnycar.com
04-13-2009, 03:17 PM
pst. its got wing windows(67).lol

Whoops....my bad.I was in such awe,the wing windows were the last thing I was looking at...believe me!:hail:

Stuart Adams
04-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Nice car. Very cool. Great job. Congrats.

James OLC
04-25-2009, 08:32 PM
Thanks Stuart. The car has been a lot of fun to this point and it's exciting to be at the stage where we are working out the bugs and putting it through it's paces. David Pozzi is working his magic on the suspension set up now getting it ready for it's next test - which will the Streets of Willow next weekend. After that we're - yes, it's official - heading to Ely, NV for the Nevada Open Highway Challenge second weekend in May. There should be an "official announcement" post with more details including our amazing team shortly.

Van B
04-25-2009, 10:26 PM
James,

Do you have any photos of how you mounted the coils? I think I remember you were going to put them under the radiator.