PDA

View Full Version : Lowering a 2nd Gen

chucks73
09-27-2005, 09:10 AM
Lowering a 2nd Gen

Looking for info on lowering my 73 Camaro. Who has done it, how did you do it and how low did you go?

The info I’m looking for is. How was it done?
1. Cut the springs
2. New lowering springs and who’s did you use
3. Drop spindles and again who’s
4. Coilover spring and who’s

Next question what size rim? Would like the size and off set or back spacing.
Also need tire size.

Lastly how much did it drop. Could you give me the measurement from the ground to the top of the fender opening?

Thanks for your help in advance.

markss28
10-05-2005, 02:12 PM
I have a 1973 camaro straight bumper and I have lowered only the front so far about 1 1/2" with Hotchkis springs its pretty much a straight forward job that can be done with some hand tools and a pry bar. It looks and rides alot nicer. I have yet to put on some serious wheels so I will wait to see how the ride is effected with a set of 18s. I am asuming that I will want to cut off 1/2 to 1 coil to get the ride hieght right. I am still in the air about the back end as I want to go with coil overs.

MaxHarvard
10-05-2005, 03:48 PM
I have a 1973 camaro straight bumper and I have lowered only the front so far about 1 1/2" with Hotchkis springs its pretty much a straight forward job that can be done with some hand tools and a pry bar. It looks and rides alot nicer. I have yet to put on some serious wheels so I will wait to see how the ride is effected with a set of 18s. I am asuming that I will want to cut off 1/2 to 1 coil to get the ride hieght right. I am still in the air about the back end as I want to go with coil overs.

I also installed a set of Hotchkis front springs for my '68 and damn... what a difference over the ride quality over stock!! So damn impressive!

david@ronsraceshop
10-08-2005, 10:37 PM
Well I lower my 71 3 inched in the front 2 in the rear

here is a link to view my Camaro
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2109570

DCreations
10-08-2005, 10:56 PM
David,

That camaro has the sickest stance I have seen! looks really good man. Any rubbing at all? Nice car bro!!!!:D

david@ronsraceshop
10-08-2005, 11:02 PM
Well with the 18x8 in the front it only rubs when you try and U turn, and the 18x10s rear will rub on the passenger side due to the ofset of the axle, Oh yea when I stick it hard in a corner the side wall flex will rub a little on the rear leaf springs

But other than that it doesn't rub when cruising around