PDA

View Full Version : fuel system question

67ragtp
09-25-2005, 08:19 AM
First off let me say Im new to this site and its great and You guys have beautiful cars! Im building a 67 camaro which follows the pro touring theme, it has all the DSE front end stuff and rear end as well, I purchased there narrowed tank and installed a 427 cu in. small block normally asperated making 525hp/525ftbls. My question centers around the fuel system, I want to run a fuel injection system but now have a carb on the engine. I would like to set the car up for the fuel injection, can a fuel injection, fuel system be regulated down to run a carb? I figured I would need a supply and return line but could use a recommendation on a fuel pump, I do want to run long distance with the car so I want to purchase a bullet proof pump. I have read your posts regarding the hot rod pour tour dilemas and the use of the bosch pump by some of you but Im not sure if this pump is a good choice for my application. Im also hoping the pump is quiet of coarse Im aware of the importance of mounting the pump using vibration Isolation material. Really would appreciate some recommendations on a fuel pump to use on this car, if it can only be one or the other regarding the carb vs fuel injection let me here what you would use?
Thanks Rich

camcojb
09-25-2005, 10:10 AM
First off let me say Im new to this site and its great and You guys have beautiful cars! Im building a 67 camaro which follows the pro touring theme, it has all the DSE front end stuff and rear end as well, I purchased there narrowed tank and installed a 427 cu in. small block normally asperated making 525hp/525ftbls. My question centers around the fuel system, I want to run a fuel injection system but now have a carb on the engine. I would like to set the car up for the fuel injection, can a fuel injection, fuel system be regulated down to run a carb? I figured I would need a supply and return line but could use a recommendation on a fuel pump, I do want to run long distance with the car so I want to purchase a bullet proof pump. I have read your posts regarding the hot rod pour tour dilemas and the use of the bosch pump by some of you but Im not sure if this pump is a good choice for my application. Im also hoping the pump is quiet of coarse Im aware of the importance of mounting the pump using vibration Isolation material. Really would appreciate some recommendations on a fuel pump to use on this car, if it can only be one or the other regarding the carb vs fuel injection let me here what you would use?
Thanks Rich

Well, Aeromotive makes a nice return-style regulator that will let you run an EFI pump and still get it regulated down for a carb. You will have to replace it with their standard EFI regulator when you go to EFI, but it's built and looks the same so it's an easy swap. Most regulators cannot regulate a 50 psi EFI pump down to 7 psi or so and hold it there.

As far as a pump I'm going to use an Aeromotive A1000 pump again. I know, there were issues with them, but in all cases they were running them full speed all the time. I know the Mule had one that gave him problems on the Tour and then they installed their voltage reducer/controller that slows the pump down under idle/cruise areas and then goes to full voltage at a certain adjustable rpm. See it here:

http://216.242.145.16/products/product.phtml?p=31

Once he installed the voltage controller that was the end of the problems, although they did later swap out to Bosch OEM pumps; Mark needed something to design I guess!:D

The Aeromotive is quiet, preferably using rubber mounts as I do.

Jody

67ragtp
09-25-2005, 01:20 PM
Jody,

Thankyou for the suggestions, I checked out the aeromotive line and saw the regulator you were refering too. This will probably be my best option for when Im ready to make the EFI conversion.

A couple of quick questions for you, What make and size injector would you suggest for my power requirement ?

Any one you can recommend to take my merlin manifold and outfit it with bungs, throttlebody(what size? 1000cfm?) , and fuel rails? Ready to bolt on.

Which company would you choose if this was your first time setting up an EFI system - FAST or BIG3? Want reliability.

Thanks again Rich

camcojb
09-25-2005, 01:42 PM
Jody,

Thankyou for the suggestions, I checked out the aeromotive line and saw the regulator you were refering too. This will probably be my best option for when Im ready to make the EFI conversion.

A couple of quick questions for you, What make and size injector would you suggest for my power requirement ?

Any one you can recommend to take my merlin manifold and outfit it with bungs, throttlebody(what size? 1000cfm?) , and fuel rails? Ready to bolt on.

Which company would you choose if this was your first time setting up an EFI system - FAST or BIG3? Want reliability.

Thanks again Rich

A 36# injector will support 525 naturally aspirated HP very safely. Rob at http://www.force-efi.com/ can add the bungs and rails. He also sells the tb's, and a 1000 cfm is plenty and easy to tune.

I believe the original FAST (not the XFI, having issues) is an easier system for a new tuner, BUT the BS3 is a better unit and less money. I would do the BS3 and find a local tuner to help you with it. Actually, Rob can get you a good base map if you buy it from him.

Jody

67ragtp
09-25-2005, 06:34 PM
Can't Thankyou enough Jody, you've been a huge help! :hail:

Rich

Blown353
09-25-2005, 09:08 PM
I'd just like to throw out SX fuel pumps as an alternative to Aeromotive.

I have just over 10,000 miles on my SX fuel pump now and it has never given me a single problem. No hot vapor locking, no magnets coming unglued from the housing, nothing. My SX pump is being run full voltage at all times and for the last 5000 miles it has been run with a Kenne Bell volt booster which feeds the thing 17 volts once the engine sees 3 psi of boost-- and I'm into the boost quite a bit. Noise level is about the same as an A1000, and if you mount it on rubber isolators you can barely hear it in the car when the engine is off, and you can't hear it at all with the engine running.

The preferred method of running a high-volume electric pump is as Jody said; size the fuel pump to give you some headroom at your horsepower level (I'd prefer 20% more fuel pump flow than your engine will consume; at 525hp and say .50 bsfc which is a reasonable number for naturally aspirated, you'll need 263 pounds of fuel per hour net, with 20% headroom that's 316 pph) and then run a controller/voltage reducer to slow the fuel pump down under cruise. This decreases the volume of fuel circulated in the system during cruise, which helps prevent heating up the fuel (which will cause vapor lock) and also saves wear and tear on the pump.

Also had very good luck with SX regulators.

Troy