PDA

View Full Version : Eastwood powder coating system ?

Tim Baillie
02-24-2009, 08:00 PM
Has anyone used one ? Worth the money for basic brackets etc ?

Messy?

Thanks

zerotofear
02-24-2009, 10:43 PM
Powder Buy The Pound has a killer set up for beginners. Checkout their site at www.powderbuythepound.com

Mark Davis
www.smokinss.info

Tim Baillie
02-25-2009, 12:30 AM
Just a bit of a price difference...........

andrewmp6
02-25-2009, 08:56 AM
My step dad has the eastwood one its not bad.Its messy but the stuff is a powder easy to sweep or vaccum up.You will need a oven big enough to bake your parts in.And once you used the oven to bake parts you can't use it for food so no using the kitchen oven.

lsbilletworks
02-25-2009, 09:26 AM
For shooting single stage colors and the occasional 2 coats (depends on the powder), it works pretty well. It's a low voltage gun that isn't adjustable. It has kind of limited capacity so for small parts you are good but larger parts, you may need more gun. The cut off is about valve cover size. The gun cleans really quickly as well. I have one around the shop and still use it for small quickie types of jobs. Like was said before, PC'ing makes a huge mess (easily cleaned) unless you are doing it in some kind of booth.

PC'ing is just like paint....you need clean air and good prep up front pays dividends in the final product.

HTH,

Rick

Streetwerkz
02-25-2009, 08:20 PM
I don't have a Eastwood gun, we shoot with a Nordson, and it kicks ass all day, every day, brackets, frames, car body's whatever.

A while back one of my guys bought a Harbor freight gun, no adjustment cheap piece of ****.... I thought.
for laughs we hooked it up and sprayed some test panels, actually worked OK. I would not want to do any big parts but for lil here lil there it would be ok.

What took the harbor freight about 1 minute, took my Nordson about 5 seconds. Harbor gun $50 I think be a good investment for hobby type coating.

Powderbuythepound.com is a great resource, and they have used equipment for sale etc..

abadsvt
02-25-2009, 09:11 PM
Not trying to hijack but I have always been very curious about powdercoating. I actually wanted to start aquiring equipment and build a large oven so i can powdercoat almost anything besides car frames. Does anyone have any good links to learning how it works, pros and cons of different systems, tips, and where to buy equipment? Thanks

Josh

waynieZ
02-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Josh check the forum here maybe something you can read.
http://www.caswellplating.com/index.html

Jbone
03-04-2009, 11:51 AM
I've used Eastwoods stuff, and like stated, it's great for small stuff. I powdercoated pretty much everything I could when I rebuilt my mustang. The largest thing I used it on was my bellhousing. Kinda big, but brackets and stuff were great.

V8TV
03-04-2009, 12:21 PM
We use the Eastwood kit for lots of small brackets and stuff and really like it. Bigger parts and things that require precision (like wheel centers) we send out to Extreme. Here's a video on the Eastwood kit...

http://v8tvshow.com/content/view/139/28/

BBC69Camaro
03-04-2009, 08:09 PM
For brackets and pulleys etc for a hobbyist its great.

Grimmey71
03-30-2009, 07:35 AM
would you guys reccomend it for doing aluminum wheels?