PDA

View Full Version : Everything I touch turns to manure...

Derek69SS
09-22-2005, 09:19 PM
I had a crappy day in the garage tonight :(

I've recieved most of what I've ordered for my front suspension, so I decided it was time to sandblast up the old parts that I plan to re-use, such as LCAs, spindles, various hardware, etc.

First off, I couldn't find my box of miscellaneous pieces and hardware, so I couldn't do anything with that, then I have to dissassemble my swap-meet stock disc spindles. I pull them apart, and one of them is junk :mad: What am I going to do with one good spindle??? The surfaces where the bearings go are all gouged up, it looks like someone did some grinding, and it appears that the pin is bent. Then I check my springs, and I ordered the wrong size... 5.5" dia instead of 5". They are too big to fit in the pocket of the LCA. :(

All I could do was blast the LCAs, and it was dark by the time I could prime them. I still need to remove the old bushings and press in the new ones. The bushing debacle hasn't been pleasant either, as I spent more than I needed to, which I explained here (http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103570).

Worst of all, I need to swap the entire chassis, adapt an LT1 and 4L60 into the car, and have it back on the road before my wedding in May. I need things to go smoothly or I won't make it. :willy:

radrambler
09-23-2005, 05:08 PM
Now Thats Sucks!!!

Isnt Car Building Great??? Everytime You Think Your Getting Somewhere...**** Happens!.....right Guys?????

Sorry About The Luck....hey Remember It Can Only Get Better :d

Radrambler

almcbri
09-23-2005, 06:29 PM
all submit you for overhaulin. 7 days and your car is DONE!

jack67rs
09-23-2005, 06:37 PM
LOL!! Nothing pisses me off more than wasting hours of build time trying to find the parts I labeled and organized so well! Worse is having my wife point out the part or box I was looking for in seconds of being in the garage. Sorry man, but I think we all can relate to those days. Better days ahead!!

Derek69SS
09-24-2005, 10:06 AM
Well, I was planning to go racing today, but it's a rain-out, so I have all day to look for my missing box of parts :rolleyes:

The worst part is that I've got 1/2 my parts in my garage, and the other half in my dad's shop 15 miles away, so when something is missing, I assume it's in the other one. Depending on how bad I need it, it costs me 5 bucks to drive to the other garage to find out that it's not there either :lolhit:

KAA
09-24-2005, 03:25 PM
I thought I was the only one who had that problem. I swear, I waste more time trying to find stuff, parts or tools, than I spend getting work done. :mad:

Derek69SS
09-24-2005, 09:30 PM
I found the box of parts, but that's all I got accomplished today... going to spend the rest of the weekend pulling the engine out of a parts-car '93 caprice.

Rick Dorion
09-25-2005, 09:56 AM
There's been times I've thought my car was haunted when problems take forever to solve. Makes it tough to enjoy 'the chase'! And then there's the take-off parts that turn invisible until I buy replacements and then wind up with spares :)

Keep at it!!

Ummgawa
09-25-2005, 07:42 PM
I have restored a 69 Z-28 that looks really great as a 20-20 driver (20 feet away @ 20 mph) I am often asked how many of these I have restored. I usually reply "FOUR!".

Why four?

Because I have done every thing on this one car at least 4 times, after screwing it up the first three times.

No Joke. Hang in there man. :thumbsup:

zbugger
09-26-2005, 01:37 AM
I want everything I touch to turn into vanilla pudding. Then I could eat it. Well, everything but girls. They still taste good. But vanilla..... Damn.... :willy:

Payton King
09-26-2005, 07:38 AM
When you are on a pro-longed car build with a time horizon...what can go wrong will go wrong. You almost need to have an attention deficiet syndrome to build it. If you start something and it is not going right , move on the the next thing and come back to it another time.

PhaseShift
09-30-2005, 10:39 AM
Derek69SS- I know what you mean about being some miles from the suspect bin that contains the _right_ part. ;)

If nothing else, you have a ton of buddies that share your enthusiasm and sometimes the pain of being bitten by the hard core hot-rodding / pro-touring / fun car bug. We are with 'ya and I think have all bee there at one time or the other.

I can say for sure that I have been about 2 steps from a rifle and a tall building more than once.... ;)

JimM
10-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Hang in there Derik.... we all have those days. Seems when a day starts like that, it's best to spend it degunking and cleaning the parts you can find. PRetty hard to screw that up. Don't forget to label them again after tho.