PDA

View Full Version : Old 2006 Paint scheme for Illusion

CAMAROBOY69
09-22-2005, 03:27 PM
EDIT: OLD 2006 PAINT SCHEME that DSE decided to use..
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/5451/illusioncamaro3yq4.jpg

race-rodz
09-22-2005, 03:38 PM
i like it!!! traditional 2-tone but not. i have had bad expierences with a mid-coat silver pearl over silver... looks "blotchy".... i would suggest some spray-outs to see if it gives the effect you are looking for. for the super bright orange....look at HOK tangelo... has a gold pearl in it...and doesnt get much "brighter"

CAMAROBOY69
09-22-2005, 03:43 PM
I want this orange for my camaro stripe and for my girlfriends entire 67 Mustang but no one knows what it is!!

rockdogz
09-22-2005, 06:11 PM
Are you going to have a 4" cowl hood?

I think that's an awesome paint scheme. I would leave off the lettering however...no matter how ghosted it would be.

race-rodz
09-22-2005, 06:16 PM
well as far as i know its a saleen color... been around a few years, its a popular color on S7's. i will see if i can find the actual name...or better yet a code for ya. (i guess that nasty mustang habbit of mine IS good for something :D )

Derek69SS
09-22-2005, 09:04 PM
I'd tone down the lettering or leave it off. Maybe 1" high letters max, if you really want to put it on.

Overall, I really like it :cool: That looks sweet! :cool:

Roger Poirier
09-22-2005, 09:28 PM
Are you going to have a 4" cowl hood?

I think that's an awesome paint scheme. I would leave off the lettering however...no matter how ghosted it would be.

I would have to agree. How about a darker silver for the bottom? Best bet is to pay the bucks and have Kris Horton to a rendering. You can then change the color scheme from one end to the other with little effort or additional cost and end up with a better color selection.

R.P.

Ricochet
09-23-2005, 12:28 AM
Looks great!! I like the two tone..

Kris Horton
09-23-2005, 04:30 AM
I would have to agree. How about a darker silver for the bottom? Best bet is to pay the bucks and have Kris Horton to a rendering. You can then change the color scheme from one end to the other with little effort or additional cost and end up with a better color selection.

R.P.

Roger's got a point. Though you seem to have the basic design down, I could help you check it out from different angles and work on the lettering. Not trying to post a shameless plug or anything, but if you want to be sure on the paint scheme and not spend all your money getting it painted only to find out you would have liked it different, I might be the way to go.

There are other artists too though. McBride does awesome work as do others. With me you'll get a more precise preview of the paint perhaps.

Looking good either way man!

Kris

CAMAROBOY69
09-23-2005, 06:42 AM
Thank you everyone for the positive feedback. For about 6 years I was just planning straight silver. Then I heard of the Mule and now I see more and more members going silver. So then I decided to paint flames down the entire car but didnt want to take away from the sexy body lines of the 69 Camaro. So like always I wanted to do something different so I went with the 2 tone.
I will try to answer some of the random questions.

race-rodz,
T/y for the compliment and if you could find that color it would be greatly appreciated because thats the color we want for my GF 67 Mustang Coupe.

rockdogz,
Yes the 4" cowl is staying for sure because almost everyone else is running the 2" cowl.
I want to keep the Illusion on the side but it will be straight pearl orange meaning it will be basically invisible. Not bold like the crappy photoshop.

Derek69SS,
I want to keep the Illusion on the side but it will be straight pearl orange meaning it will be basically invisible. Not bold like the crappy photoshop.
Roger Poirier,
I want the Viper silver 100%. Keep in mind that is a crappy photoshop I did so it doesnt look right at all.

Ricochet,
T/y for the compliment.

yodester,
I would really like to try and keep the name but it will only be in pearl so it will be almost invisible. I just want to do something different to help set my car apart from the rest.
The Illusion is many different things but mainly because it looks like an old 69 camaro but will be eventually equiped with as many modern products as possible including the 4th gen interior. Remember, I was the first to put this entire interior into a 69 Camaro. Now its becoming more and more common.

Kris,
You are by far one of the most inspiring artists with your car renderings. I think my girlfriend is tired of hearing me say "Damn look at Kris' work, he is god with those renders" lol
If only I could afford the software..
I will get ahold of you and would be more than honored to have a render to duplicate my car. :thumbsup:

Thanks again everyone for the feedback. I know it wont make everyone happy but at least its not just straight silver like I was planning. Its not easy creating a design for a 69 Camaro without destroying the sexy body lines. :)

CAMAROBOY69
09-23-2005, 07:00 AM
Deleted pic to avoid confusion.

protouring70
09-23-2005, 07:57 AM
Hey Adam, when I first seen it, without reading, Duh? I thought you were going with a flat black with a flat orange and the OH so famous gray primer.

But I think you made a good choice. :thumbsup:

evilzee28
09-23-2005, 08:56 AM
rockdogz,
Yes the 4" cowl is staying for sure because almost everyone else is running the 2" cowl.

Hi camaroboy, just a thought here, it seems like you're stuck on putting the name on the sides, one thing to be careful of though, normally "ghost" images be they flames, graphics or lettering, always work best over dark colours, as the darkness hides the image 'til the sun hits it & then it pops! With a very light base like the silver, you'll have a very hard job to make it work as you'd like. Yes you can apply maybe 1 or 2 coats of pearl over the silver, but it will ALWAYS be visible, even from a distance. The downside is that if it's 1 or 2 light coats it'll look like a blemish on the paint & it'll look like the paints a different colour in one patch, 'til you get close enough to read it. More coats than that & it'll be visible all of the time, which may not be what you want.

evilzee28
09-23-2005, 09:46 AM
rockdogz,

To be honest I'm not too sure about the cowl hood. To me it smacks of drag racing ( I thought it was a drag car when I first came on the forum , sorry). I think the whole cowl induction thing has been done to death now, all sorts of drag orientated cars are running them, not just GM products, plus the 4" one will really date the car shortly. Sometimes less is more, it'd look much more sleek & classy with something like an SS hood if you could fit one & would certainly lend itself far better to the overall look you're trying to achieve. But again, it's down to personal preferances & I can't wait to see some pics of the finished article :thumbsup:

trapin
09-23-2005, 11:16 AM
Andrew....looks great, bro. :thumbsup:

The two-tone rocks. I actually like the idea of doing the word 'Illusion' in ghost lettering although I wouldn't make it any bigger than an inch and a half in height. Looks killer. I can't wait to see Horten's take on it.

rwhite692
09-23-2005, 12:40 PM
That looks real nice!:thumbsup:

Roger Poirier
09-23-2005, 05:50 PM
rockdogz,

I like the 4" also. Looks mean! Check out PHR Penny Camaro. I believe in order to make the car look right you may have to change to a different set of rims that flow better with the paint scheme. Thats where Kris comes in again. Have him or any other person that does 3-D drawings.

I hired an artist to do my rendering before I knew of Kris. Every time I changed something the artist had to draw it over again. I spent a lot more money then what Kris charges. Small price to pay to get the complete look you are after. Money very well spent.

R.P.

CAMAROBOY69
09-26-2005, 03:52 PM
See first post for official pic.

MaxHarvard
09-26-2005, 04:02 PM
Very nice! :)

TravisB
09-26-2005, 04:39 PM
I like number 3

Roger Poirier
09-26-2005, 10:53 PM
Either way #2 or #3.

I like #2 best.

R.P.

CAMAROBOY69
09-27-2005, 07:32 AM
T/Y for the feedback everyone. I have to agree. #2 and #3 are growing on me. Getting closer and closer. :yes: :D
Now I just have to dial in the exact black I want since I wont be putting pearl over the top of the black. Another member from pro-touring recommended WRX STI black since it has metal flake in it.

Damn True
09-27-2005, 11:24 AM
Where would one locate the stripe? Does it straddle the fender creases, sit inboard of them or outboard?

CAMAROBOY69
09-27-2005, 11:26 AM
When I paint the stripes on I will probably put the line just barely below the fender creases.

TravisB
09-27-2005, 12:28 PM
Where would one locate the stripe? Does it straddle the fender creases, sit inboard of them or outboard?

that would be up the painter.....usually on the lower portion of the body line if it has a hard body line like a camaro does!

CAMAROBOY69
09-27-2005, 12:29 PM
Yeah I am the painter. The painter, the body repair guy, I do everything myself and always have. :unibrow: Even did the entire interior, 6 speed tranny all myself absolutely no help! Everything you see on the ILLUSION website is all done by myself with no help.

Twin_Turbo
09-28-2005, 02:29 AM
I want this orange for my camaro stripe and for my girlfriends entire 67 Mustang but no one knows what it is!!

I'm not sure but isn't that daytona sunset orange like you can get on the c6??

race-rodz
09-28-2005, 02:40 AM
the saleen orange color is called berylium(sp) it is "NOT" a normal production color for anything other than the handfull of saleens that are "factory" custom painted with it. i talked to saleen and found out that the only way to get it...would be if i was doing a documented repair on a saleen that was sold with that color on it... no code...no formula... they send it to a basf dealer and the dealer sends it to you with a rep who takes any/all extra when your done spraying.

similar deal to the mystique when it first came out.... on saleens about 2 years before it was made available to general public.

i managed to bench mix a similar color that has the mad gold flop to it, using hok solar gold base, gold & silver pearl mid coat, and kandy tangerine, then clear.... but this would not be a good color for a driver...as touch ups or matching would be almost impossible.

its a cool color, but i think one would be much better off just sticking to normal factory colors.

CAMAROBOY69
09-28-2005, 06:58 AM
You are right. I would want a more practical 2 or 3 stage orange to spray on the car. Keep in mind that the majority of what I buy will actually be for our 67 Mustang. I wont need much at all for the stripe on my Camaro. I think I am going to look at the new 2006 Eclipse. THat has a sick orange. Just need to find one in person to see if its really that nice.
Some of the pics on the advertisements make the orange look sooo bright on the Eclipse. But I just did a search and some of the pics look brown. :_paranoid

Richz68
10-03-2005, 11:01 AM
Have you considered doing the the entire two-tone break line in a modest 1"-1.5" tall flame design? The black and silver colors could flow back and forth within the flames down the side of the car to still retain the body line.

I personally thing that the rear flames seem to take your eye off of the 69's killer lines rather than complimenting them.

I love flames and I really love two-tones as well..... anyway my .02

;)

jigga99
01-06-2006, 04:56 PM
i think the color of the orange stang might be house of colors tangelo

Kendall Burleson
01-06-2006, 08:14 PM
I love the two tone but I agree with the designer about have a plan before you paint it .the dark color up top make the car smaller the lighter color make the car bigger. the letter pull your eyes toward the top.anyway great job! :thumbsup: I still love it.

67velle
01-06-2006, 09:57 PM
I know what your going through. I have spent 6 months coming up with my paint plan. I also will be doing all of it myself. I cant believe how close we are to doing the same idea so of course I think yours is awesome!!! My plan is to put 519f cadillac silver on the upper and straight black on the bottom. I have custom mixed a green with the brilliance of the orange you are looking at. I am have some trouble with the size and style of the accent color??? My 67 Chevelle has some easier lines for 2tone placement. Good luck and hope to see it this summer!! :burnout:

srh3trinity
01-06-2006, 10:48 PM
The word Illusion may look good ghosted on the side of the hood cowl. On the orange color, there is a color that Land Rover is using on the supercharged Land Rover called Vesuvius Orange that looks good.

awr68
01-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Adam, I take it you don't like the primer look?? It gives it the all business look!! I actually can't wait tell mine has primer on it...the bare metal look is getting old!! :yes:

Are you keeping the taller hood...if so I agree the name may look good ghosted there. BTW, does that hood block your view at all?? Never been in a first gen with the taller hood...

srh3trinity
01-07-2006, 05:57 PM
You could also ghost Illusion on the rear spoiler.

Roger Poirier
01-08-2006, 11:33 PM
Where are you concerning your paint scheme. Did you go ahead and have a drawing made up? Is the car still in primer? Nice project. :yes: Please update.

Thanks,

R.P.

CAMAROBOY69
03-06-2006, 02:57 PM
EDIT: OLD 2006 PAINT SCHEME.

This is a photoshop render that Carter did for me in 2006. I put this pic into the first post so everyone can see it there too.
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/5451/illusioncamaro3yq4.jpg

Sales@Dutchboys
03-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Looks good :thumbsup:

MODO Innovations
03-06-2006, 09:03 PM
Adam,
That looks pretty sharp. :captain:

CAMAROBOY69
03-07-2006, 06:36 AM
Thanks guys. I bet I stared at that pic at least 50 times yesterday. I just need to figure out exactly what I will do with the rear flames. :D

Roger Poirier
03-07-2006, 05:33 PM
The paint date is 2006, 2007, 2008? :P

R. P.

CAMAROBOY69
03-08-2006, 06:25 AM
The paint date is 2006, 2007, 2008? :P

R. P.
Actually the paint date is 2006, 2007 and never. :lol: I am currently spending every tuesday and thursday on the car to get it finished as much as possible for my Gingerman race event in April. I cant even think about paint right now until I finish this list.
I still have this list to do before April.
1. Finish Lamborghini Murcielago style exhaust set up and rear Frenched license plate tail panel
2. Finish rear split bumpers and epoxy primer entire rear
3. Get rid of all the manual steering and convert to power steering.
4. Install Hydratech hydraboost
5. Install driveshaft loop
6. Install DC controller
7. Attach QAI shocks in the rear
8. Fire extinguisher
After all of this, I can consider paint. :P

rodrage
08-04-2008, 05:22 PM

Adam,

Just reading through some old posts... The color you want is Saleen's "Beryllium". I think that it is a 3 stage now and is incredible in all light conditions. Saleen charges an extra 18K for it on any of their cars. If you get this reply and you still want the paint, let me know and I'll get hold of the codes.

-RodRage

GHOSTDANCER
08-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Looks like Dale JR. and DSE liked your idea.:lol: :lol:

http://www.detroitspeed.com/images/Projects/heinz1969/Heinz69-107L.jpg

G-Body
08-04-2008, 09:42 PM
I have seen that same design floating around every sketch board in terms of the 69 camaro! Dont be afraid to take a chance and be bold with your design just keep the colors subtle and it will tone down the graphics Besides be different! The Hell with the jones. lol

CAMAROBOY69
08-05-2008, 06:20 AM
Yeah I saw that DSE had almost the EXACT same paint scheme I mentioned in this thread a 2 years ago.
Thats why I wont be announcing my new paint scheme.
Its totally different then the one that I originally posted in this thread. My new paint scheme is a lot more simple and fits me and my car a lot better. I also resized the old 2006 renders.

mosconiac
08-07-2008, 01:38 PM
I want this orange for my camaro stripe and for my girlfriends entire 67 Mustang but no one knows what it is!!http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/attachment.php4?attachmentid=984&d=1127421780

I believe that color is part of the Saleen Extreme color set. All of the Saleen Extreme colors (Berrylium, Lizstick Red, Victory Blue, Speedlab Yellow, Ocean, Rainbow, etc.) are BASF formulations. It's an UBER expensive option. It is a near futile process to get some for touchup let alone to paint an entire vehicle.

That's actually BASF's doing and not Saleen's. When one of the custom colors are ordered, BASF sends someone in with the paint, paint the car and return with any leftover paint. Which is why the paint colors are an expensive option and why it's difficult to get any touch-up as Saleen doesn't have this stuff lying around.

The color in question is beryllium. Here's another angle.
http://www.autothing.com/images/Fun%20Things/AT%20News%20Room/08-2007/Saleen-S281-Beryllium.jpg

Vistory Blue:
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/99-04/03/VictoryBlueSaleenS281-E-2.jpg

Lizstick Red:
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/features/mmfp_0712_2007_saleen_s281_sc_mustang/rear_diffuser.html

Speedlab Yellow:
http://www.speedforsale.com/other/yellows7.jpg

Rainbow:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/attachments/5-0l-talk/4085d1078920983-the-best-mustang-all-time-rainbow_014.jpeg

CAMAROBOY69
08-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Thanks for clearing up the confusion on that orange color. This thread can die because this was my old paint scheme from 2006 (see first post). My new paint scheme wont even have orange in it. Plus we already picked HOK Sunset Pearl Orange for Heathers 67 Mustang.
The thread can now die. :thumbsup:

CAMAROBOY69
08-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Looks like Dale JR. and DSE liked your idea.:lol: :lol:

http://image.popularhotrodding.com/f/10915248+w750+st0/0810phr_18_z+the_year_one_experience+69_camaro.jpg
Yup I knew if I didnt paint my car quick enough, this was going to happen. So with that said, this is no longer the paint job for "Illusion".

I honestly dont even know if Illusion will ever will be painted. :lol:

So we can pretty much just let this thread die.

orangevert
08-12-2011, 10:55 AM
That would of been very sharp, Paint is something you live with, It's not very cost effective to change.

Good luck.

skatinjay27
08-12-2011, 01:49 PM
So we can pretty much just let this thread die. it was????

HWY Nova
08-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Yup I knew if I didnt paint my car quick enough, this was going to happen. So with that said, this is no longer the paint job for "Illusion".

I honestly dont even know if Illusion will ever will be painted. :lol:

So we can pretty much just let this thread die.

OR....... You can come up with another, as painful as it may be, paint scheme.

--Eric