PDA

View Full Version : need wiring help with covan gauges

Moose
09-21-2005, 06:34 PM
I'm ready to pull my hair out with the stock gauges and harness. The problem I'm having is, I can not get any interior lights to work on the gauge cluster.

I've replaced the light switch. I also have afteramrket gauages and they also do not have any lights working. (tach, oil pressure and water temp..)

If I buy the covan gauages, how can I get around this??

Clockwork
09-21-2005, 07:53 PM
Bad ground somewhere? Or fuse? You probably already checked these though :thumbsup:

CAMAROBOY69
09-22-2005, 06:38 AM
I do not have a covan dash, however I have all autometer gauges and im sure the wiring is similar.
In general these aftermarket lights are very simple to wire. A black and a white wire, thats it. As easy as positive and negative. The new dash might help you eliminate any wiring problems in the old dash since you will have to find a power source for the new lights. Should be very easy. I would not lose any sleep over it. ;)
Instead of having about 10-20 wires for the old dash you will now only need a positive and a negative to run all the new lights.
Heck I dont even have any of my original wiring for the interior lights at all and all my gauges work perfect.
I hope you are prepared for what Rita just turned into over the night. One of the largest hurricanes ever to enter the Gulf in history.
http://www.adfabdesign.com/Illusion/Interior%20Page/Interior.html
http://www.adfabdesign.com/Illusion/Interior%20Page/10.jpg

MaxHarvard
09-22-2005, 08:20 AM
In those Covan dash kits, a grey wire from the gauges, splices into another grey wire from the wiring harness in the car... that is your dash light wire. Be sure you have good grounds too, otherwise nothing will work very well. :)

Moose
09-22-2005, 04:11 PM
In those Covan dash kits, a grey wire from the gauges, splices into another grey wire from the wiring harness in the car... that is your dash light wire. Be sure you have good grounds too, otherwise nothing will work very well. :)

thanks everyone, I think I'm just going to order the covan and move on.. The headache will be over..

Nice pic by the way...