PDA

View Full Version : What Air Compressors you guys use at your shops?Need suggestion

elitecustombody
02-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Having no good luck with my compressors,it's time for a new one, not looking to take out a second mortgage,just something that won't need rebuilding or repairs in first 3-5 years,something that will put out enough air for cut-off wheels,die-grinders,I'm done with cheater 5.0, 6.5hp compressors, I had cheap $900 back then 5.0 hp compressor from Sam's Club,BlackMax working for nearly 10 years ,no problems,other than just not enough air if you're cutting or grinding,so I bought another BlackMax ,but this time it was 6.5hp, it's been nothing but constant problems after about a year,from leaky pressure switch,to some other valve, to new valve plate,to blowing gaskets between the head and pressure line flange every other day,to blowing head gaskets,it's been a nightmare,for about 6 years,this summer I had to replace electric motor,thanks to JEA(my local electric provider) they had bad connection on the feed to the shop,I couldn't figure out why my computer would just shut off on it's own couple times a day, burned 3 surge protectors within one week,then finally it was bad enough that it burned the backside of the meter ,after calling electrician, they fixed the connection, anyways, now my compressor won't even shut off if I use air for even few seconds, it takes about 15-20 minutes to pump to 145psi and shut off,so finally think it needs the pump rebuild, I figured I already dumped so much $$ in this junk, it's time for new compressor,

I have a good old Saylor-Beall compressor and Craftsman 6.5hp as a back up,but I need something that will put out some CFM's

I was thinking of getting a screw-type compressor, are they any good? I heard they are high maintenance ,I just want something reliable,something I can pretty much forget that I have,I like low maintenance equipment,

I've already checked with Northern Tool, Greg Smith, I need single phase,compressor with low RPM motor

J2SpeedandCustom
02-03-2009, 08:42 AM
How much air do you need scfm wise? The screw type are great, but are built for high air comsumption shops. I would think a good 7.5 - 10hp with an aftercooler that outputs 30ish scfm would be fine. Something that really helps is storage of the air look into getting a 2nd tank and plumb it in line with the compressor so you can double the storage area.

I would check into a local air power shop and see what commercial brands they sell. I like to buy local just for the service aspect.

Streetwerkz
02-04-2009, 06:51 PM
We started off with a 7.5 hp/27 cfm, worked great until we got in to blasting
the new one is well just a lil fella at 360 cfm
7 ft tall, 10 ft deep, 4 ft wide, computer controlled variable speed blah blah blah
Screw is the way to go, lower operating cost, less noise, more efficient maintenance is easy.

OOCustoms
02-04-2009, 09:54 PM
wow street works shes a beauty!!! id love to have that in my shop!!

I have a 120 gallon 5 hp stand up tank model. i had mine custom built by a compressor guy. it was a used tank and a totally rebuilt american made pump. ive had it 4 years and not a single complaint. alot quieter then some ive heard and i dont run out of air with it kicking on at 95psi and stopping at 125. i paid 2k for mine.