PDA

View Full Version : Red Witch?

awr68
09-16-2005, 08:38 PM
What is the color on the Red Witch, got a code? Also how abot the Thrasher?

I'm just starting to research reds and I like both of them...looking for something that's bright, but has some depth and more on the blue side not orange side...if that makes any since?

My wife likes Scott's car and color, Scott do you know what it is?

Thanks in advance!!!

Your, I've changed color ideas for this car so many times I've almost gone full circle, friend... :_paranoid

Musclerodz
09-16-2005, 09:11 PM
If you want to go to the blue side, you want Boyd Coddington Red. Dupont has a formula for it. If you can't find it, let me know and I will get a copy for you.

Mike

jonny51
09-16-2005, 09:31 PM
Im not 100% sure but I believe Thrasher is Viper red .

BC69
09-16-2005, 09:39 PM
Im not 100% sure but I believe Thrasher is Viper red .

Yes it is. My car is also Viper red if you want to check out my pictures.

Thanks
Tim

awr68
09-17-2005, 01:22 AM
If you want to go to the blue side, you want Boyd Coddington Red. Dupont has a formula for it. If you can't find it, let me know and I will get a copy for you.

Mike

Thanks Mike I'll see if I can find it. I was thinking he was using PPG these days??

awr68
09-17-2005, 01:24 AM
Yes it is. My car is also Viper red if you want to check out my pictures.

Thanks
Tim

Thanks Tim, the car looks great! I think the Viper red is just a little too much on the orange side for me though...

camcojb
09-17-2005, 01:25 AM
I know the red that Shaun had Boyd put on Twinsting!:unibrow:

Jody

awr68
09-17-2005, 01:26 AM
Is The Red Witch possibly Torch Red?? Seems like I remember hearing that before?

mdprovee
09-17-2005, 01:34 AM
I have started to paint my car Torch Red, the jambs and such. It is orange, infact if you put it up against white in the light, it looks more orange then red.

awr68
09-17-2005, 11:33 AM
I have started to paint my car Torch Red, the jambs and such. It is orange, infact if you put it up against white in the light, it looks more orange then red.

Thanks Mike that saved me some frustration!! :thumbsup:

Musclerodz
09-17-2005, 12:04 PM
Twinsting is an HOK color and he mentioned it in a thread here. I will have to find my article on Red Witch or Charley should chime in.

Boyd uses Dupont mostly as far as I know and the formula I have is in Dupont Chroma series. I think it is called Boyds001. It has a distinct blue tint to it.

Luckily I am buddy buddy with my paint store because they gave me over a gallon of different reds 1/2 pint at a time looking for the right red. I have tried them all except for some new ones that have come out this last year. I wanted the purest looking red without looking yellow like torch or blue like boyd's. I finally came up with a custom mix, but I think there is some factory colors out now that may be good enough for me. Or if I bite the bullet, I will paint it the way I originally wanted too which was to have an anodized red look.

Mike

awr68
09-18-2005, 02:48 AM

Mike

Mike, could you please get a copy of the formula for me, I'm not having any luck finding it...thanks!!

XcYZ
09-18-2005, 09:16 AM
Here's DuPont Milano red, it's a color that really caught my eye. It's a shade darker than DuPont Viper red which I thought might look better with my white stripes. I took these pics a few years ago at SEMA for reference.

http://www.lateral-g.net/temp/red-rod.jpg

http://www.lateral-g.net/temp/red-red-code.jpg

clill
09-18-2005, 10:18 AM
Red Witch is a Sikkens Audi red.

BC69
09-18-2005, 12:49 PM
Here's DuPont Milano red, it's a color that really caught my eye. It's a shade darker than DuPont Viper red which I thought might look better with my white stripes. I took these pics a few years ago at SEMA for reference.

That is a nice red, Scott does this mean you are planning on repainting your car?

Tim

Musclerodz
09-18-2005, 04:07 PM
Scott I can't make out the code for the Milano Red. Looks blurry on my screen. Can you post it so I can check it out?

Anthony, I will call up the paint store tommorrow and post it up. It only has like 3 colors in it if I remember right.

Mike

BC69
09-18-2005, 05:20 PM
Scott I can't make out the code for the Milano Red. Looks blurry on my screen. Can you post it so I can check it out?

W9510K

Tim

Musclerodz
09-18-2005, 05:55 PM
Thanks, for some reason I was seeng 5 numbers which I knew wasn't right.

Mike

68protouring454
09-18-2005, 06:36 PM
with all this talk of the red witch, when is it going to make its debute??
jake

Damn True
09-18-2005, 07:29 PM
with all this talk of the red witch, when is it going to make its debute??
jake

Did Stielow buy it back?

awr68
09-18-2005, 07:49 PM
Thanks Charley!

Mike, that would be great...thanks!!

Scott, does Milano Red look as orange in person as in the photo? What is the color of your car now??

XcYZ
09-18-2005, 09:15 PM
No, it didn't have a hint of orange. Between what my digital camera captured and how your monitor is set - a lot of things can skew the actual color. Personally, I REALLY liked that color. Here's the code: DuPont Code W9510K

As for my car, it was painted back in '91 and the paperwork says it was GM Red Lacquer. That's it. lol When I get all the mechanical stuff dialed in, it will be getting media blasted and painted, it will still be red with white stripes.

Musclerodz
09-18-2005, 09:42 PM
Did Stielow buy it back?
Mark got Thrasher back when Charley got Malitude around last Christmas.

Mike

awr68
09-18-2005, 10:05 PM
Thanks Scott, my research says Milano Red is an Acura/Honda color and is still being used on some models today...time for a trip to a dealership... :thumbsup:

68protouring454
09-19-2005, 08:00 AM
and clill was having kurt urban go thru the witches motor, and i am sure it has to be done by now, is it??
jake

camcojb
09-19-2005, 09:43 AM
Mark got Thrasher back when Charley got Malitude around last Christmas.

Mike

And now Charley has the Thrasher again too!

Jody

clill
09-19-2005, 09:55 AM
Thrasher is mine again. Red Witch engine is sitting on a broken dyno at Wheel to Wheel. Was doing break in time last week. Was making 500 ft lbs @3000 so it looks like it will make enough torque. Red Witch is still mine. Mark is taking it apart to do some updating. Nothing earth shattering just freshening.

Musclerodz
09-19-2005, 10:40 AM
Did Mark decide not to do anything with it and concentrate on the Nova? Charley and Mark swap cars more than I get haircuts it seems.

Anthony, Boyd Coddington Red: paint code is BC001KM for chroma base. Here is the formula for HALF-PINT:

864 magenta 31.5
850 red 44.4
867 brilliant red 56.7
150 binder 169.4
175 binder 214.8

And for those interested in Milano Red. It has the same exact colors in it but it has less magenta which gives Boyd's red that blue hue it has. Milano red also has a Tri-coat formula which uses the magenta and a kandy.

Mike

Stuart Adams
09-19-2005, 12:21 PM
Mark has another 69 car in the works, is the news I heard.

awr68
09-19-2005, 07:19 PM
Thanks Mike!!!

Yeah, Milano Red being a tri-coat kinda turns me off...

Stielow has a new project? Tell me more!!!! :thumbsup:

XcYZ
09-19-2005, 07:48 PM
I had no idea it was a tri-coat. lol It sure didn't look like it. Oh well.

awr68
09-19-2005, 08:16 PM
Just followed a '05 GTO on the way home tonight, that red sure looked good!

67Sally
09-19-2005, 08:43 PM

My Mustang is "Malino Red". It is a Honda/Acura color. I know that the newer versions of it are tri-coat but if you go back a few more years it is not. I don't know paints but that is what I was told when I had a new hood painted. I will dig up my paperwork and provide the details.
W.

Here is a picture of my car before its current tear down. (Thanks for the instructions Bill)

Musclerodz
09-19-2005, 10:49 PM
It can be used as a bc/cc or tri-coat. The formula for the base is the same for either. The mid coat has just enough magenta in it a color the binder. I for one would just leave the mid-coat out. I will be having a 1/2 pint mixed up to shoot. The nice thing about Milano is it has ALOT of pigment.

Mike

907rs
09-20-2005, 12:27 AM
My Mustang is "Malino Red". It is a Honda/Acura color. I know that the newer versions of it are tri-coat but if you go back a few more years it is not. I don't know paints but that is what I was told when I had a new hood painted. I will dig up my paperwork and provide the details.
W.

(Scott how do I attach a picture?)

William, try this:

To attach a file to a new post, simply click the [Browse] button at the bottom of the post composition page, and locate the file that you want to attach from your local hard drive.

Only certain types of files may be attached: these are the valid file extensions for files to be attached to this forum: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip.

After posting, the attachment will show up in the body of your message. To view the contents of the attachment (if it is not already displayed) simply click the filename link that appears next to the attachment icon .

Or send it to me- [email protected]

XcYZ
09-20-2005, 07:45 AM
It can be used as a bc/cc or tri-coat. The formula for the base is the same for either. The mid coat has just enough magenta in it a color the binder. I for one would just leave the mid-coat out. I will be having a 1/2 pint mixed up to shoot. The nice thing about Milano is it has ALOT of pigment.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I didn't realize that. Obviously I'm out to lunch on the technical side of paint.

68protouring454
09-20-2005, 06:29 PM
that makes no sense.
most normal 3 stage paints, have a ground coat, which usually is alot light and full of pearl/metallic. then the mid coat is a darker shade of main color (lets say red) and very translucent (does not cover well) and it takes 3-5 coats to darken the ground coat or till you reach the color you want or are trying to match, dodge did a bunch of 3 stage colors on there cars etc in the early 2000's, a real **** up, heres some i just did last week, and there is no way you could get same color from ground coat with no mid, or by mixing same color in 2 stage, no way.
this is a pic of the 3 stage i just did i repair to, on a 2001 dodge mini van, color is inferno red.
first pic is mid coat(2nd coat) 2nd pic is color of mid coat, 3rd pic is ground coat can,4th pic is ground coat, which is first coat
see how in mid coat pic, it is very translucent on top where you can see right thru it then on bottom it is dark as there is more down there, then over on ground coat you can see how much pearl/metallic is it, thats the whole deal to 3 stage is you can spray the mid coat till you get desired darkness or effect if doing an overall, and it will look entirely different if you put one coat of mid coat or 4 coats of mid coat.

awr68
09-22-2005, 07:27 PM
Just got word from Stielow (threw a friend) that the Red Witch is a '94 Mopar color in Sikkens.

race-rodz
09-22-2005, 08:39 PM
late 90's ford color i beleive called rio red... its a solid non-metalic red that used a "base" red, and a transparent red mid coat, although there is an alternate formula that is standard BC/CC.... that matches better than the tri-coat formula.

there are a lot of options on the "right" red in ones eyes.... my personal flavor is viper red...i like the orange tint.

awr68
09-22-2005, 10:24 PM
I saw a '06 Jetta in Salsa Red the other night that looked nice, it's a deep, but still true red...that's what I'm looking for!! :thumbsup:

Musclerodz
09-22-2005, 11:09 PM
that makes no sense.
most normal 3 stage paints, have a ground coat, which usually is alot light and full of pearl/metallic. then the mid coat is a darker shade of main color (lets say red) and very translucent (does not cover well) and it takes 3-5 coats to darken the ground coat or till you reach the color you want or are trying to match, dodge did a bunch of 3 stage colors on there cars etc in the early 2000's, a real **** up, heres some i just did last week, and there is no way you could get same color from ground coat with no mid, or by mixing same color in 2 stage, no way.
this is a pic of the 3 stage i just did i repair to, on a 2001 dodge mini van, color is inferno red.
first pic is mid coat(2nd coat) 2nd pic is color of mid coat, 3rd pic is ground coat can,4th pic is ground coat, which is first coat
see how in mid coat pic, it is very translucent on top where you can see right thru it then on bottom it is dark as there is more down there, then over on ground coat you can see how much pearl/metallic is it, thats the whole deal to 3 stage is you can spray the mid coat till you get desired darkness or effect if doing an overall, and it will look entirely different if you put one coat of mid coat or 4 coats of mid coat.

I don't disagree as I had hell with the first HOK Kandy job I did. Look up W9510K. What my Dupont paint store told me was the only difference between this particular bc/cc and tri-coat formula was the mid-coat and had very little magenta in it creating a candy. I may have mis heard and the mix ratios were slightly different, but I am fairly sure I heard him right say the the only difference was the mid coat. I will call tommorrow and clarify. Here is the bc/cc formula in chroma base. It has lots of pigment.

W9510K "Milano Red"

864 magenta 53.4g
867 red 78.9g
850 brilliant red 101.2g
150k binder 217.6g

Mike

68protouring454
09-23-2005, 07:36 AM
yeah you can get a similer color out of a 2 stage bc/cc. BUT the base coat will have a few different tints in it to come up with the color, there is no way to just use the ground coat of a 3 stage and come up anywhere near the right color.
jake

Musclerodz
09-23-2005, 03:47 PM
Called the paint store back. They did give me the wrong info. The bc/cc formula is different by a bunch. The formula listed above for Milano is the tri-coat base. The mid coat base is

864 magenta 0.6 g
150 binder 106.0 g
175 binder 211.3 g

There is so little color in the tri-coat, it is not much different than me just dumping clear into the gun without cleaning it which I have been known to do in the past to give certain colors some depth.

Mike

68protouring454
09-23-2005, 06:12 PM
yes most mid coats are really transparent, which is good if you looking for that custom shade as you can add coat till your happy, but in this day and age of paint, its really not worth it on something that will get rock chipped or driven alot,
yeah guys behind the counter at paint stores are the usual know it alls, there are some exceptions but very few
jake

Damn True
09-23-2005, 06:28 PM
Have you ever seen Audi Brilliant Red.

It's a very deep bloody color.

Diognes56
10-04-2005, 08:38 PM

Ooooo I will have to check that out :_paranoid .

David

P.S. What is the difference between Brilliant Red and Amulet Red? I can't find any pics that are in similar lighting.

Diognes56
10-04-2005, 08:58 PM
AWR68 - What about Dupont "Hot Hues" - Red Hot Meltdown - 745658. Is it too orange also?

Online Paint Booth (http://pc.dupont.com/PaintShop/html/main.htm)

Hot Hues Colors (http://pc.dupont.com/HotHues/webengine/hothues/Controller/Action!_gen_call_7_swapModule?ControllerUtility.sw apModule_Arg1=Color)

David

Damn True
10-04-2005, 10:00 PM
Ooooo I will have to check that out :_paranoid .

David

P.S. What is the difference between Brilliant Red and Amulet Red? I can't find any pics that are in similar lighting.

I dunno. A co-worker of mine has an S4 in brilliant red and I swear it looks like someone had an arterial laceration all over the car.

awr68
10-07-2005, 01:03 AM

Funny you mention that color, a couple weeks ago I drove threw the Audi lot and it really jumped out at me. It was on a TT and on a perfectly clear and sunny day it sure looked sweet!! :thumbsup:

Oh, and sorry for the delayed reply, I've been in Mexico on a cruise...good times!! :thumbsup:

awr68
10-07-2005, 01:12 AM
AWR68 - What about Dupont "Hot Hues" - Red Hot Meltdown - 745658. Is it too orange also?

Online Paint Booth (http://pc.dupont.com/PaintShop/html/main.htm)

Hot Hues Colors (http://pc.dupont.com/HotHues/webengine/hothues/Controller/Action!_gen_call_7_swapModule?ControllerUtility.sw apModule_Arg1=Color)

David

Thanks David,
My first thought was that it's too orange, but I'll have to look into it further. :thumbsup: