PDA

View Full Version : Rotissere Casters?

TT LS2
01-13-2009, 03:37 PM
What type of pneumatic casters are you guys using? I'm fabb'n a rotissere and I need wheels. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

almcbri
01-13-2009, 04:48 PM
I have some from harbor freight. They are 4". Make sure they are locking, that is one I thing I will fix on mine. I found myself chasing my car around the shop while grinding or working on it

deocon
01-16-2009, 02:15 AM
I used 10" pneumatic wheel at the rear and two solid rubbers up front.

To prevent the flat spotting of the wheels, I installed screw jacks to handle the weight of the vehicle once it has been mounted.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj25/deocon/PICT0115.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj25/deocon/PICT0118.jpg

dhutton
01-16-2009, 06:35 AM
I used hard casters that I got from Northern Tool. If you use pneumatic casters make sure you can support it without the casters when you are working. Otherwise you will be surprised at the movement you get when you are working on the car due to the casters bouncing.

I think the only time you want pneumatic casters is when you are loading it on a trailer or going "offroad" while you sandblast etc.

Don

elitecustombody
01-16-2009, 10:07 AM
I used Harbor Freight 8" hard rubber casters all with locks,Northern Tool has a good selection as well, it made such a big difference from little 4" casters,moving it with a car attached on smooth floor is a effortless ,also great when loading and unloading on the flatbed , I don't think you'd benefit much from pneumatic casters unless you like to push it around in dirt field or work on your car on the front lawn with plush grass:rofl:

OOCustoms
01-16-2009, 10:38 AM
heres a company i use out here in california. they are strictly a caster supply. they can assemble you any kind of caster with any load range wheel and with or without brake units. they asemble them on the spot and im sure they can ship them where ever you need. i wouldnt go anywhere else except for maybe northern tool. I have a set of iron casters one a milling machine cart that are coated with a 1/4 inch layer of a high end urethane or something that can hold like 1000# each and wont develop flat spots. they also have some hightech plastic ones that hold the same and are a little cheaper. give them a call you wont be disappointed.

Industrial caster and wheel 510-569-8303 located in san Leandro CA

Marc:thumbsup:

elitecustombody
01-16-2009, 11:43 AM
heres a company i use out here in california. they are strictly a caster supply. they can assemble you any kind of caster with any load range wheel and with or without brake units. they asemble them on the spot and im sure they can ship them where ever you need. i wouldnt go anywhere else except for maybe northern tool. I have a set of iron casters one a milling machine cart that are coated with a 1/4 inch layer of a high end urethane or something that can hold like 1000# each and wont develop flat spots. they also have some hightech plastic ones that hold the same and are a little cheaper. give them a call you wont be disappointed.

Marc:thumbsup:

FYI, Northern has identical casters as Harbor Freight and there is absolutely nothing wrong with HF casters as long as you use appropriate load rated casters for the job, i think I paid $17 a piece for 8" swivel caster with brake

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/46800-46899/46819.gif

TT LS2
01-16-2009, 07:06 PM

Marc:thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Marc!
Those guys (Industrial Casters) are like five minutes away from my house!
They actually told ne NOT to do a pneumatic caster. I need a caster that will make an EASY transistion from a smooth garage floor to a roughly paved driveway to a flatbed while supporting my 69 Camaro shell. They rate each 8" caster at about 350 lbs. I was thinking if I used three 8" casters per side of the rotissere, that would be more than adequate to suppout the car. Right? people with experience, please chime in! I would hate to use hard plastic/hard rubber, due to the rough terrain that they would see.
Just my thoughts...

elitecustombody
01-16-2009, 10:43 PM
harbor freight casters I used with posted above pic are rated at 450lbs, so 450x6 is 2700

OOCustoms
01-23-2009, 04:12 AM
well you can get the rubber tire casters there too cant you? im sure they have something that will work for you. if not if you do anything else id use them. they dont have cheap harbor freight stuff there. how rough it the drive way??

Travis77
02-04-2009, 09:56 PM
You may also do a search for scaffold wheels. I can shoot you a pic of mine if needed. They are around 10" tall solid metal center with only 1/4 inch of rubber around the wheel. Never have to worry about tires going flat:thumbsup: And they have brakes on them as well.