PDA

View Full Version : 1970 Lemans Build

TreySmith
01-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Hello, I am 16 and purchased a 1970 Lemans Sport with a 400ci engine, and near mint interior for $1400.. Going for a deep red or maybe even the original green. Here is a vid of me getting it running.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgqTmFzRdPo
All I did was drop in a battery..

What I like about this car is there aren't many like it. What is there, two pro touring GTO's? How many Camaro's are there? Thousands..

Quarters should be done in about 2 weeks.

Here is my list
Get running[X]
Get brakes working[ ]
Get it street legal[ ]
LSx Engine [ ]
Quarters Replaced[ ]
All other holes replaced[ ]
Frame blasted and painted[ ]
Coil Overs[ ]
Break in those back seats :unibrow: [ ]
04-06 GTO interior swap[ ]
Boze Mesh rims[ ]
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/3624/hpim3073lk7.jpg
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5651/hpim3078oj3.jpg
http://www.bozeforged.com/images/wheels/ze/mesh1.gif

HRBS
01-06-2009, 06:51 PM
Break in those back seats :unibrow: [ ]

Welcome !
Nice ride.... hey good luck with the above item. If you find a girl who will actually climb into that dirty interior "as-is", MARRY her !

TreySmith
01-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Welcome !
Nice ride.... hey good luck with the above item. If you find a girl who will actually climb into that dirty interior "as-is", MARRY her ! Lol it's all clean now, you would be amazed at quickly people will jump in for a ride.. The car gets soooo much attention, and girls like that.:D

WSSix
01-06-2009, 09:07 PM
nice ride

awr68
01-06-2009, 09:15 PM
cool! Enjoy the build!! :cool:

almcbri
01-06-2009, 09:17 PM
looks like a nice start! :thumbsup:

Kendall Burleson
01-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Are the floors in good shape with just surface rust?:yes:

TreySmith
01-07-2009, 02:14 PM
Are the floors in good shape with just surface rust?:yes: Some VERY small pin holes where the wiring goes, and some on the footwells.. Nothing major.. Prolly 5 mins of work, I haven't checked between the front and back seats yet though, but I don't think I will find any.. The floors are REALLY clean cept for those few areas.. I haven't checked under the vinyl, kinda scared, but there isn't any rust around the windows..

The only rust of concern is the listed stuff in the floor, quarters, on edges of doors(not rusted through though), and where the wheel well meets the trunk.. I am probably just going to move the wheel wells over 2 inches to good metal, that way I can fit bigger tires too! :thumbsup: The rest is all surface rust, hopefully I can start sanding today depending on what my boss says.. He is charging me $375 for BOTH quarters to be replaced, plus $350 for both skins..

XcYZ
01-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Cool. Where are you located?

Rusty G
01-07-2009, 03:22 PM
A post car, nice. They are kinda rare and a good platform to build off of, stiffer then a non-post car.

I will be following this thread with great interest!

If you need any Pontiac advice/help let me know.

http://www.casualrestorationsinc.com

My baby, soon to be sold.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/78grandam/Copyof468231007208_0_BG1-1.jpg

deuce_454
01-07-2009, 05:31 PM
by mint interior.. do you mean the green stuff growing in the seats:P nice car! hope it doesnt turn out to be rotten when you strip it down...

TreySmith
01-07-2009, 07:55 PM
by mint interior.. do you mean the green stuff growing in the seats:P nice car! hope it doesnt turn out to be rotten when you strip it down...Lol, it's purty under there!! Wiped a little bit off, and it looks great, almost to the point where I don't think the seats are original, but they are.

I was hoping I could get the quarters done sooner, but my friend said that there was a 'Cuda, Impala, and an SS 396 Chevelle in the way, and it would be 2 weeks or a month before he can get to me. But the employee discount sure is worth it!! Kinda disappointed, but that leaves me a month to make $500..

Glad to see you guys are interested!!!! I promise I won't disappoint you guys in the end, but it will be a long journey.. Going to clean it this weekend, and get the front clip loosed up.. Can't take it all the way off because it isn't under a cover.. Then I will take some nice pics.

That is also where most of the rot is, in the fenders. Glad that stuff is going to go!

Also, what do you guys think of the rims? Are they too "donk"? I did a little mock up, and they looked that way, but I guess I wont know until after it's painted, and can have someone photoshop it.

TreySmith
01-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Holy crap, is there any place with free shipping on quarters? Or some place I can pick them up at close to houston? $160 shipping on a $170 part is ridiculous.. That will set me back like 4 weeks of work..

brans72
01-08-2009, 09:28 PM
i am sure you can find some whre in a hour drive i have 3 chevelle stores in 30 mins of me all with 15 mins of each other odd but true!!! aushley chevelle,hinshaw,big tonys chevelle in NC

Blake Foster
01-08-2009, 09:32 PM
good choice

got some work ahead of you but go for it

NOVA
01-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Holy crap, is there any place with free shipping on quarters? Or some place I can pick them up at close to houston? $160 shipping on a $170 part is ridiculous.. That will set me back like 4 weeks of work..

try www.uship.com registar,list what you need shipped,it does work and there are reliable people that have extra room and need the xtra cash these days.

TreySmith
01-09-2009, 06:44 PM
I found a guy in Spring that has a shop with parts... Guess I got lucky :).. Getting pics/cleaning tomorrow!

72beast
01-09-2009, 09:30 PM
nice ride here is a pic of my 72 lemans 2 door post.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd308/72beast/DSCN1610.jpg

TreySmith
01-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Quarter panels ordered.. Also found a gas cap at a junkyard :thumbsup:

tones2SS
01-11-2009, 07:30 PM
A post car, nice. They are kinda rare and a good platform to build off of, stiffer then a non-post car.

I will be following this thread with great interest!

If you need any Pontiac advice/help let me know.

http://www.casualrestorationsinc.com

My baby, soon to be sold.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/78grandam/Copyof468231007208_0_BG1-1.jpg

That's a nice looking car.:thumbsup:
I'm guessing it's a rare car as well?? Why are you selling it?

TreySmith
01-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Complete interior for sale, everything but dash, $800 O.B.O.. Need to raise funds for front clip and LSx GTO interior.

G-Body
01-11-2009, 11:32 PM
A one peice 70 GTO front nose clip would look killer all glass plus lighten her up some i love the pontiacs this body style has always been a fav. My first car was a 70 GTO when i was 14 started building it was fun at 16 with a rock crusher 4 speed and a 428 in it ! lol keep those pics comming

TreySmith
01-12-2009, 07:41 PM
What would you guys think about me trading it for a 73 Camaro? Or maybe a 71 Challenger? This guy that works at a huge classic car place wants to trade me for it.. There is even a 72 Cutlass that I LOVE!... I don't want to do it, but if I trade, I will get a car with title, which is appealing to me.. I will also come out on top too.. He wants to give me like $4000 for my car. Pics of them up later..

Also, that camaro is FREAKEN CLEAN!!! Not a spot of rust!!! Seems like a good trade right? I will NOT leave here, if I get the camaro, it will return here, and have it's own build. I am not going to sell out like alot of people and just give up..

TreySmith
01-15-2009, 07:53 PM
I decided to keep the car.. Sorry I keep slacking guys, I can only work on the car during the weekends, since it is dark when I get off work.. Hopefully I can get the seats clean this weekend so I can sell them.. I was thinking about buying this 05 GTO for the interior swap, is this a good price? $2000..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___2005-Pontiac-GTO-wrecked-with-Clear-Title-Very-Clean_W0QQitemZ300286778792QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20Truc ksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash =item300286778792&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Ummgawa
01-15-2009, 08:03 PM
Trey

I have some Pontiac parts I am willing to donate to you if you'll pay shipping. tell us all here what you are looking for and maybe we all can help in some way.

Jim

TreySmith
01-17-2009, 09:17 PM
That would be cool :).. Maybe we can meet up halfway and I can get that hood to you. :thumbsup:

Also, these seats cleaned up amazingly!!! They look freaken new!! I still have a little more work to do before I can call them perfect, like get the seams real good. What I am going to do is get an air sander and put a buffing pad or something and use that to get all the gunk out.

Also, they don't go in order, and I cleaned in sections at a time, so some parts of the seats are going to be dirty in some pics, and other parts aren't.

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/9366/picture204ua7.jpg
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/2002/picture376lf4.jpg
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/1111/picture397bt8.jpg

TreySmith
01-17-2009, 09:22 PM
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/2374/picture404al6.jpg
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/2685/picture403wm8.jpg
http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/8709/picture320vt7.jpg
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/6100/picture390ui0.jpg
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/1346/picture378nn0.jpg

TreySmith
01-17-2009, 09:23 PM
http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/1556/picture385bp8.jpg

TreySmith
01-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Well... Once again it's cold and rainy... Been sweating my ass off at work all week but then when I want to work on my car it goes to ****... And the quarters still wont be in for another few weeks..

I don't know how you guys do it :captain:

I think later I might go try to break the master cylinder lid thingy off and get the brakes working..

Ummgawa
01-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Thingy is a word you should use sparingly.

Trust me on this.

TreySmith
01-24-2009, 06:24 PM
I guess the correct term would be "lid", but yeah I got it off today.. Instead of brake fluid, I found something like jellow..

Also, I found a LH quarter nearby on ebay for $100!! Going to get it tomorrow.. So happy because now I will save about $150! That's enough for me to get it installed at my shop.. I guess project GhetTO will keep chuggin... C'mon, every project needs a name right? :lol:

TreySmith
01-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Yay! Picked up a quarter panel(LH) today for $100!! Saved $115, and picked up a water pump on the way home new for $20.. The guy I ordered the other panels from wont even be able to actually send out the order until Wednesday. So I am just going to call him later and tell him to change the order to the passengers side only...

After I get the water pump on, all I have to do is bleed the brakes to get it streetable..

Also, what are the steps for repainting the engine? Should I have it sandblasted or what?

WSSix
01-25-2009, 10:26 PM
I'd say your doing well with all these parts. Where are you located anyway. I need to find a place where i can get Fbody parts like that cheaply. Your seats came out looking great.

TreySmith
01-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Located in Houston Tx.. The guy I bought it from works at a shipping place, and the person never came to claim the part, so the guy took it and put it up on ebay.. I called him and asked if he would take $100 cash and he said yeah.. It was deep in the ghetto though, like the guy probably didn't pick up the part because it got shot and died..

If you are looking for F-Body parts, go to Pick A Part.. I got a hood and fenders for $100.. Whole engines start at like $250 I think.. Maybe $500, not sure.. Front and rear bumpers are like $60 also..

Got the water pump at O'Rilleys for $20, plus a $3 core.. So it is really like $15.. Better than the Camaro, it was $33, plus a $20 core or something ridiculous.. Ended up being $60.

I am also thinking about building a rotisserie out of wood.. Heard of people doing it for like $50 tops, and is about as strong as steel.. So I will look into that also.

Checklist for this weekend:
I am going to get some engine paint, paint the water pump to get the hang of it before I do the whole engine, then install it
Also build a wood rotisserie.

Anyone know the weight of a bare shell? Can't be too much..

Young Gun
02-05-2009, 12:03 AM
you didnt post this up on craigslist for sale I hope... stick with it man... there arent enough of us young guys to work on these things!

TreySmith
02-05-2009, 02:13 PM
The bodyshop said 6-8 months before they could even look at the quarters.. That is just too long!! It is up for sale and it is on EBAY also..

I bought this car to enjoy it, not to have it sit at a body shop for a year.. Hopefully the brakes will be done by late friday, and I am tearing the **** out of the neighborhood.

I can't stand to see the car just sitting there rusting.. The trunk lid has rusted through completely around the edge just in a month. It is so sad. I am going to see if I can just sell it or trade it for something I can have painted now, not in 8 months.

I am not going anywhere, just trying to step into a car that is more solid..

RaceMan
02-05-2009, 03:10 PM
If you do sell it what do you want ?? I have a 1970 sport convert. I'm doing and could use some parts.
I think they are alittle different than most pro-touring cars and done right they look good (IMO)

Young Gun
02-05-2009, 03:13 PM
One of my dads friends has a shop, I can tell you that you wont have to wait 6 to 8 months to get the work done... Ill get the contact info from him and pass it on to yah if you would like...

ja.stoner63
02-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Also, what are the steps for repainting the engine? Should I have it sandblasted or what?

Sand blasting very bad idea, the sand gets everywhere and the engine will freeze up soon after you get it running.

TreySmith
02-05-2009, 06:29 PM
If you do sell it what do you want ?? I have a 1970 sport convert. I'm doing and could use some parts.
I think they are alittle different than most pro-touring cars and done right they look good (IMO)I am looking for $2500, I think that is a decent price.. It is a good buy if your car has no interior or engine.. I have 2 new quarters that go with it but it doesn't look like your car needs them.

There is a guy close buy that has a huge collection of cars and I want to see if he will trade for something.. He has a Cutlass that I am in love with..

RaceMan
02-05-2009, 06:55 PM
I am looking for $2500, I think that is a decent price.. It is a good buy if your car has no interior or engine.. I have 2 new quarters that go with it but it doesn't look like your car needs them.

There is a guy close buy that has a huge collection of cars and I want to see if he will trade for something.. He has a Cutlass that I am in love with..

Well let me know if you don't have any luck trading for something .

I'm looking for a rear bumper and the front endura bumper and a 400 block along with some misc. parts.

Good luck !!!

TreySmith
02-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Do you want the whole car or just parts? I can't part it out. I am so lucky my stepdad felt bad for me since I was working on it in a parking lot on the weekends and let me drag it home. He wouldn't let me just keep the shell for sure, so I would have to sell it as a whole car.. There is some good metal on it too if your passenger floor and rear floor pan is bad.

Too bad you have a vert though, the back glass and all the trim for the car is perfect.. All 5 rims are good too.

RaceMan
02-05-2009, 07:36 PM
Do you want the whole car or just parts? I can't part it out. I am so lucky my stepdad felt bad for me since I was working on it in a parking lot on the weekends and let me drag it home. He wouldn't let me just keep the shell for sure, so I would have to sell it as a whole car.. There is some good metal on it too if your passenger floor and rear floor pan is bad.

Too bad you have a vert though, the back glass and all the trim for the car is perfect.. All 5 rims are good too.

I'd take the whole car , I'd have to figure out shipping though.

If you can't figure out anything with a trade or fixing it up I might be interested

TreySmith
02-05-2009, 07:44 PM

If you can't figure out anything with a trade or fixing it up I might be interested You could fly down here for like $75, then rent a truck/trailer and drive back.. Would be like $600 or something in all I guess.

That's a long ass drive.

caper150
02-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Trey man, I wouldn't give up so soon on this if this is the car you really want to do. I mean we all would love to drive our cars as soon as possible, but if this is the car you really want, then stick with it. If it was something you bought just to have a cool car but you really want something else then go ahead and sell it and get what you want,but remember it takes alot of hard work, blood, sweat and tears to restore a car and from what I've seen your well on your way. If you can't wait get the tools you need to do it yourself and learn along the way. I just wouldn't give up too soon, best of luck on whatever you decide to do.

Young Gun
02-06-2009, 10:55 AM
PMd you that info Trey...

TreySmith
02-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Trey man, I wouldn't give up so soon on this if this is the car you really want to do. I mean we all would love to drive our cars as soon as possible, but if this is the car you really want, then stick with it. If it was something you bought just to have a cool car but you really want something else then go ahead and sell it and get what you want,but remember it takes alot of hard work, blood, sweat and tears to restore a car and from what I've seen your well on your way. If you can't wait get the tools you need to do it yourself and learn along the way. I just wouldn't give up too soon, best of luck on whatever you decide to do.
The car isn't something I really want. If it was a real GTO, then I might consider keeping it. I just got it because it was the only thing I could afford at the time and I took a big risk since it didn't run.. Luckily God was on my side and it all turned out ok.

I just want something I can enjoy now. I want a muscle car I can drive to school and show off to my friends. My car doesn't have a title. It isn't hard to get, but by the time I finally get around to it, school will be out. Parts for these cars are hard to come by too and are very expensive when you do come by them. Like the GTO nose, $1000+..

But I am going by the guys place this weekend.. Hopefully he will be interested in trading. I would reccomend going by his place if anyone is interested in a new project in the Texas area, all of his cars are reasonably priced.

I want to start a small restoration place and hopefully end up like the shops on this place building pro touring cars for the public and for cheaper prices..

And thanks young gun for the info, but I don't think I am going to keep this.

TreySmith
02-07-2009, 07:26 PM

If you can't figure out anything with a trade or fixing it up I might be interested Any specific parts you want me to take pics of?

RaceMan
02-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Any specific parts you want me to take pics of?

Hey Trey I see you have it for sale now , I'm still interested but the cost to get it up to me might be too much , I'm going to look into it. I need the rear bumper , front nose w/ all headlight parts , block , maybe trans , and the wiring for the electric windows , plus some misc. parts . If I can get a good price for shipping it I'll maybe make you an offer.

TreySmith
02-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Get the price for shipping and I will deduct it from the car as long as it isn't more than $500 :)

I would use the trans if I were you, it was said to be rebuilt and can't have any more that 10 miles on it if it was.

Here is a pic I just took of the front end.. The lights nearly blinded me, they aren't very bright from the side but I bent down to take another pic and damn near blinded myself because these lights are very directional.

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/1377/1000435he3.jpg

TreySmith
02-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Sale pending.

TreySmith
02-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Still for sale :(.. Guy was telling me to part it out. Said I could get around $1000 for the interior and $1500-$2000 for the engine and trans. He also said the rims would go for quite a bit also, so I am not sure what I want to do.

TreySmith
02-12-2009, 08:22 PM
It is neat what just a little paint can do. :thumbsup: Too bad it's the wrong color...

Might do the intake tomorrow. Also someone is coming to pick it up this Saturday for $2200.. His brother already came, took pics and said it is ALOT nicer than any project he has looked at so far. He said he and his 'bro were going to buy two cars and have a race to complete them. It is going to be sad to see it go, I went through alot of **** to get it and have put quite a bit of work into it also.

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9118/picture512px4.jpg
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/5444/picture516ku3.jpg