PDA

View Full Version : best coil spring compressor...

slownova
12-09-2008, 04:53 PM
im sick of using the junk hooks on both end compressors. do you got any other suggestions? ive been looking at the snap one one, which seems the best so far. any other ideas??

Roger M
12-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Bought mine at NAPA. although i have only used it a few times, it seems like a good product. No signs of wear yet.:thumbsup:

tumper93
12-11-2008, 12:51 PM
They make one that mounts on the wall that works good but, I have one that I bought from Matco years ago that is a clamshell design that works perfect and is a lot less money. OTC makes it for Matco and you can even buy it from Amazon now, you can also get an extra piece for it that allows you to compress the small strut springs like on foreign cars and the ones GM has gone to on some vehicles. I would check it out, you won't go wrong with it. Guys in te shop use mine more than the one mounted to the wall.

rubadub
12-16-2008, 04:05 AM
Napa here also.

Rob

thedude327
12-17-2008, 10:58 AM
im sick of using the junk hooks on both end compressors. do you got any other suggestions? ive been looking at the snap one one, which seems the best so far. any other ideas??

I've used this method with good sucess. First slide the hook set off of the threaded rod and discard it. Then use just the hooks that include the threaded collar and a tow hitch that's been cut down some. Slide the cut down tow hitch over the threaded rod and run the threaded rod up through the control arm or down through the subframe.(either way works depending on clearance) Then fish the hooks with the threaded collar through the spring coils and thread them to the rod. Then just use a ratchet wrench or an impact to tighten the coils up while the cut down receiver hitch holds against the control arm or the subframe and your good. I will try to post pics later tonight to show better what I mean.

Paul

thedude327
12-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Ok here's a couple pix of the receiver hitch cut down and the spring compressor with it set-up. It doesn't look like much but it's much safer to use when installing coil springs.

Paul

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee49/pixpups/002.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee49/pixpups/004.jpg