PDA

View Full Version : What media do you use in your blast cabnet!

gearheads78
12-08-2008, 12:09 AM
Just curious what everyone likes the best. I want to find what cuts the fastest and removes rust but does little to no damage to the base metal?

ZMAN1969
12-09-2008, 07:37 AM
I have silicon carbide in mine use it to clean up metal - like diff yokes, its pretty harsh. it depends on what kind of metal your cleaning. I dont blast alot of stuff but an older buddy used to do lots of aluminum intake manifolds with actual glass beads - they have several grades after doing thefirst blast he would change the glass and vacuum it out-put in new glass and blast again- the final surface looked really sweet. so try out different ritueals it just depends how nice you want it to look. :thumbsup:

badmatt
12-11-2008, 10:18 PM
glass bead, works well on everything!

HaulinAsp
12-12-2008, 06:29 PM
Just curious what everyone likes the best. I want to find what cuts the fastest and removes rust but does little to no damage to the base metal? Exactly what parts are you blasting? A better answer can be given if we know what you are needing to blast.

I use

Black Beauty

Regular sifted play sand

Glass Beads

Walnut Shells

Garage Dog 65
12-20-2008, 09:31 PM
We use #80 glass bead for all the standard steel blasting (hubs, drums, driveshafts, all the small metal parts and bolts/nuts.)

Check the Eastwood site for a quick list of recommended media for a specific metal. I'm sure there are several lists out here on the web with good info.

Good luck, Jim

Streetwerkz
01-13-2009, 09:27 PM
glass bead leaves residue behind, and is not recommended for anything that will be painted, or powder coated.

We blast all day, every day in preparation for one type of finish or anther, and we use aluminum oxide.

does not build heat, distort sheet metal, and removes faster than glass bead, black beauty, ect.

blast sheet metal at 40 psi no higher ( profile the material to much )
anything above 16 GA, 70 psi is fine

just my 2 cents