PDA

View Full Version : progress on the '62

62fairlane
09-08-2005, 10:50 PM
well I pretty much have the turbo mounted (need bolts and gaskets for it) which feels like I got alot done as all I need now is to plumb the turbo to bonnet. to do that I need to mod my bonnet and get a flange made for my BOV to mount to. after that then I am on to plumbing the oil and fuel system. most of which is laid out and I just need ot bend tube for.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/purf_man/turboswap/9-8mockup.jpg

I turned down my wheel spacers today (took out .25") to try and get the wheels farther under the fenders as I am having some conflict issues (looking for solutions) by the end of the weekend I shoudl have the caliper mounts figured out and will order the stock to make those. once the mounts are made I just need to toss lines on them and they are done.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/purf_man/SN95%20brakes/DSCF0035.jpg

Steve Chryssos
09-09-2005, 07:07 AM
Very cool. Any pix of the whole car? Maybe I missed them.
/Steevo

62fairlane
09-09-2005, 09:36 AM
hehe I am trying to hide it right now (needs quarters BAD). plus I got it parked behind my building right now so not enough room to get a good full car shot.....that and I have been in class and work until it is dark out all week.

Steve Chryssos
09-09-2005, 10:28 AM
A nasty "before" shot makes the "after" shot look that much better. Don't be shy, cough it up. (Besides we can always make it look like a million bucks with the help of photoshop)
/Steevo

CAMAROBOY69
09-09-2005, 11:45 AM
Yeah we love the before pics when the car is rough. The more rough the more respect we gain for you in the end. :D

62fairlane
09-09-2005, 04:43 PM
well you wanted rough.....the car set me back $400...$500 later it was a driver...this is a 4 y/o pic from about the first month of daily driver status. looks about the same only it sits WAY lower and is a different color....and is shaved

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/purf_man/Fairlane01.jpg

62fairlane
09-11-2005, 03:18 PM
you know I have been thinking. Everyone has a project name for their car or a nick name. I simply call my car "The 62" or "The Fairlane" and I started thinking that since one of the most interesting factors is that I have a six in it and I am in engineering major....I have came to a conclusion....6 Sigma shall be it's name. Those familar with 6 sigma will understand when I say it is prob at level 2 right now.

radrambler
09-11-2005, 04:23 PM
its nice to see someone else building a "different" car... :thumbsup:
so whats the project plans .....i see you are using a turbo 6 cyl...tell us more....

radrambler

62fairlane
09-11-2005, 06:09 PM
tri-4 link rear
1996 mustang spindles on front (with upper ball joint brackets added)
fox stang rack
air bags on all corners
front halving the car for new double a-arm setup
currently has a 5 speed in it
17" mustang bullits
and up in the air about wether to go to 13" cobra brakes or keep the ~11" GT brakes (already got them....came with spindles)

bumpers are smoothed, doors and trim shaved off car...trunk shaved also
mini tubs going in the rear and might be making new openings for the front fenders for tires to clear

stock dash that will be getting Autometer phantom gauges in place of factory
gonna measure but thinking of 2003-2004 cobra seats (front and rear) There isn't alot of high tech stuff or real high dollar stuff but this is being built as a driver.

most of the nice stuff is coming after I graduate this winter (the suspension is my class project) but I am looking at an alloy head for the six and EFI

CAMAROBOY69
09-12-2005, 12:50 PM
Thats what you were afraid of showing? That car doesnt look bad at all. :P
Cant wait to see the pics of it lower and shaved. Gonna be a sweet project when its finished.

threestar40
09-12-2005, 06:56 PM
Thats what you were afraid of showing? That car doesnt look bad at all. :P
Cant wait to see the pics of it lower and shaved. Gonna be a sweet project when its finished.

I agree, I like it a lot.

:hail: :thumbsup:

Rick :patriot:

hotwheels
09-12-2005, 07:36 PM
that look's kick ass man......great job

62fairlane
09-12-2005, 11:26 PM
well it is lowered and shaved on the 17's right now (having some clearance issues though) I would grab a more current pic but it is under a tarp and on a flat tire.....with some holes in the 1/4 from where i cut out some cancer and fiberglass (the pass side in the pic is FULL of filler....why it looks good) it is slowly getting there. the last two years have been killer as I lived in the dorms and it pretty much put eveything to a hault......did my motor and tranny swap over my xmas break.... a trans swap over spring break.....bodywork all the other times

Steve Chryssos
09-13-2005, 07:51 AM
Cool body style. 6 Sigma's kinda hard to say if you've had a few too many. Perhaps consider swapping the two: Sigma-6.

62fairlane
09-13-2005, 07:06 PM
well it should be running again this weekend when my new carb float comes in and I can get the oil lines finished on the turbo. but still need to get these damn brakes finished on it. thursday is a big work day for me and I shoul dhave the bonnet finished up then and the manifold all bolted up (I found a pinhole in a weld)

rwhite692
09-15-2005, 12:21 AM
That car is extremely neat. And with a wailin' hairy turbo'd inliner...that's just gonna be really cool. Keep the photos comin'!:thumbsup:

62fairlane
09-15-2005, 05:37 PM
well made some progress until the TIG screwed up today (I think it dropped a circuit or something)

pic1 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/purf_man/turboswap/9-13pass.jpg)

pic2 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/purf_man/turboswap/9-13driver.jpg)

pic3 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/purf_man/turboswap/tarped.jpg)

so my bonnent is like 95% done (just two seems on the back to finish up) it is a little lumpy but will work for now. once the car is running I am thinking it needs a cleanup with the DA (it is ROUGH casting) and work on getting it buffed out for the bling look. you can see my crudy looking fuel and oil ines in the pic. I gotta trim my drain down and put in a little section of oil supply and put in my new float and then I can start the car again (been parked a month now)

62fairlane
09-24-2005, 06:27 PM
well I might go with sigma 6 (I can get it on the cheap vanity plates then)

well I started the day by hitting the local hillbilly yard to pull a motor form a car I took an ignition from a couple months ago. guy said he would give me the dressed motor for $100.....get out to where it was and all that was there was an empty spot (motor had a york AC compressor I was gonna use for my bags )

so came back early and got to wrenching. got the turbo mounted and all the oil lines hooked up (left the feed loose so I can check for oil flow before starting it) I also started working on the boost feed pipe (no IC for now) and started looking at what I was gonna do for exhaust.

then I realized that I still have no fornt brakes since I got a week wait on the 6061 for my caliper mounts so I started putting the drums back on the car (the 17's will need some work anyway) so the motor should be done (with pics) monday night BUT I still need a new throttle. so it will just be waiting on that. I had bought a cable kit on ebay but the guy has yet to send it (been 3 weeks now) so I am just going to be buying another it looks like from someone else.

Diognes56
10-02-2005, 11:49 PM
Hey man, I didn't realize you were on here. How is the project going?

David

62fairlane
10-10-2005, 05:03 PM
its coming ....slowly....

when I milled my choke horn off I think I got some junk in the idle bleeds cause I can't get anything out of the idle circuit at all. other than that and needing the throttle cable bracket cleaned up a little it is done. it took it down the drive this weekend with it missing a couple vac lines just to see if it would pull a strong "hop" and it did pretty good.

62fairlane
10-10-2005, 10:19 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/purf_man/sr%20design/frontclip.jpg

screen shot of my progress on the suspension design. this is just our cad model that we are using to fit it all together and the geometry is all being transferred over from the preformance trends software. basicly now that we have the full working setu pwe are just gonna hop back and forth refining stuff until it works.