PDA

View Full Version : Plug wire recommendations

rockdogz
09-08-2005, 06:25 PM
I haven't bought plug wires in a long time, and I'd like to replace the (now dirty :( ) red wires that the Ram Jet crate engine came with with black instead. Any recommendations? Heli-Core? Accel?
I initially thought about running them under the headers, but with the big tube headers there's really not a lot of room under there and the stock loom that the engine comes with does a good job of keeping the wires away from the hot tubes.

Thanks,

XcYZ
09-08-2005, 07:40 PM
Tom, what kind of ignition do you have?

Blown353
09-08-2005, 08:30 PM
My recommendation is for the Moroso wires or if you don't mind spending more, Magnecor wires. I would tend to stay away from any of the "super low resistance" wires as they tend to not be as good for EMI / noise suppression, and the benefits they provide are pretty much a smoke and mirrors thing-- granted they'll show very low resistance on an ohmmeter when tested with very low voltage, but once you feed them with 35+ kV from your coil that sort of goes out the window. I've seen back to back tests of MSD 8.5mm super conductors and then standard resistance MSD, Taylor, or Moroso wires on Pro Stock engines, and the wires didn't make one bit of difference in power. As long as they're not flawed (split insulation, broken conductor, etc) they'll work fine.

I used to run MSD Super Conductor wires but there were a bit noisy in the EMI department and gave me some minor glitches. I've since switched to Moroso's and haven't had a single problem with either EMI or power delivery to the plugs department.

Magnecor makes some of the best wires I've seen but they're more expensive and can be difficult to find a dealer for.

Also, if you can spring for it the extra slip-over heat insulation for the plug wires (silicone coated fiberglass) is a good idea... more heat resistance plus another 20kV worth of dielectric insulation to prevent arcs.

Troy

Musclerodz
09-08-2005, 11:26 PM
I have MSD 8.5 Superconductors for my LT-1 but have not run them yet. If you ask me, they are all pricey.

Mike

zbugger
09-09-2005, 01:28 AM
I have the MSD red 8.5mm Super Conductor wires on my Camaro. Well, had them on there. They worked fine on my car, and I had no EMI problems. In fact, my car ran better with them than with any other wires. Even better than with the solid cores that were on there to start. Those messsed with the tv inside the house. Anyway, they also come in black now. It's the only set of wires besides the $300 Nology wires. I really see no need for those. But, everyone has their own favorites.

race-rodz
09-09-2005, 02:36 AM
msd super conductors here too......... car is packed full of stereo and not a bit of noise.... and no noise filters. of coarse it was a mustang.....so it prolly had elecrical problems somewhere that canceled the noice out.

rockdogz
09-09-2005, 05:49 PM
Tom, what kind of ignition do you have?

Scott,
It's the stock ignition that comes with the ram jet 502 crate motor - I believe it's an HEI with small cap and external coil, but I could be wrong...