PDA

View Full Version : what kind of equipment to do this?

abadsvt
11-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Hi guys! I was curious on those who have made mini tubs or custom inner fenders. What do you guys use to roll the edge. I want to make new custom inner fenders for the bed of my truck to cover the tires and i can't think of what to do and how to make them. Here is a pic from IRONWORKS on there mini tub so you can see exacty what i am talking about. Notice the lip is rolled. Thanks and any advice would be much appreciated.

Josh

68protouring454
11-29-2008, 05:24 PM
shrinker/stretcher

abadsvt
11-30-2008, 10:50 AM
So a shrinker stretcher will make that radius. I thought they make a sharp 90* angle. Do you just not press down all the way so i makes a nice curve? So i would need a stretcher to make that bend right?

Do the hand held stretchers work well? Is there a specific brand that is better than others? Thanks alot for you help!

Josh

J2SpeedandCustom
11-30-2008, 11:24 AM
Don't get the hand held ones and you'll need both a stretcher and shrinker. With practive you can make all kinds of curves, domes, etc.

Jim Nilsen
11-30-2008, 01:04 PM
You can do them the old fashioned way with a wood form and a wooden mallet. Hammerforming is still the way for some of us.

Kokamo
12-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Shrinker/stretcher on a stand.......

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa282/Kokamo44/69%20Rising%20from%20the%20ashes/IMG_1288.jpg

OOCustoms
12-08-2008, 02:21 AM
no, shrinker/ stretchers dont make 90 degree bends, least not in one clamp. they give you a gradual bend. i have the mittler brothers air powered unit. its a nice unit but i haven't really got to use it to much yet. my only doubt is its ability to do what i want with the air power. very soon i will be putting it to the test and putting some good air pressure to it and see how it does. if i were you id get a shrinker/stretcher unit that is foot powered. that way you have both hands to hold work piece. hence the reason i bought the air powered version.

Marc:thumbsup:

ironworks
12-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Well we use an Eckold Kraftformer from Belgium. Once we have the cut lines laid out and trimmed to what we want. We use the good old hammer and dollie to form 45 Degrees of the radius with a bent section of tubing and and hammer and dollie. The shrinker helps to make it go faster by just lightly shrinking the end to help pull it over. As the edge comes over you need it to shorten it to help it hold its shape. Then we do the same thing to the to the top section. Once we have to halves we over lap the pices and cleco them togther and scribe and cut both pieces to have a perfect fit. Then we begin tacking them togther with the tig. If you tig weld them you can get the best results.

Anybody in their garage should be able to build these with the table mounted Lancaster shrinker/strechers, Slight curve hammer and dollie. We sometimes roll a section of tubing to the radius just to give us a longer section to beat against to get it nice and round. 2 tubs usually take 40-50 hours depending on complexity.

Thanks guys, if you have anymore questions let me know.

ssinister
01-27-2010, 07:24 PM
with the correct die, a bead roller should be able to do this also.

JRouche
01-27-2010, 11:47 PM
You can do them the old fashioned way with a wood form and a wooden mallet. Hammerforming is still the way for some of us.

YES!! That is the first thing the popped into my head when I saw the edge. The pros use purposes made bucks. I tend to use stuff thats around the shop.

Before I got some of my tools, (I had more time than money) I formed alot of sheetmetal with a hard rubber mallet, many clamps and whatever piece of material that I could find that would give me the shape I needed. Even a piece of 1/2" steel rod bent to the shape needed will work. And that was with 16ga steel because I had a few sheets of it.

I still like to mallet sheetmetal. And when the mallet isnt putting enough force on the steel I like a BFH with a piece of wood to act as a buffer. With sheetmetal I still like to hammer it out. And I dont have a shrinker. Id like to have one, no room. But I do have the space for many hammers and clamps :)

There are many ways to form sheetmetal. Steel is great!!! JR

GregWeld
02-25-2010, 10:00 PM
Rodger --

That Eckold machine is killer! A good YouTube video showing their machines and their many dies and uses...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01RnS6G6t30

rwhite692
02-26-2010, 01:22 PM
I had not seen that before, very cool piece of equipment.

bentfab
02-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Got me one of those too. Even got a pic with the man him self Marc Eckold

Sti_Guy
03-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Got me one of those too. Even got a pic with the man him self Marc Eckold

Show off! LOL:hail:

bentfab
03-03-2010, 10:44 AM
Show off! LOL:hail:

You would too!! That little thing cost $10,000.00:willy: