PDA

View Full Version : School me on Splined swaybars

62fairlane
09-06-2005, 09:46 AM
I am thinking about running splined racecar style sway bars on my car. most of this has to do with not knowing the EXACT stiffness I want (paper and real life are two different things) and it seems like it would be a little more handy to have a bar that can be changed out fairly quickly (IE drive to the track and swap bars)

one question I had was that most bar ends I see are straight and not angled outwards would it be ok to bend the arms outwards to get them as close to the BJ as possible while still maintaining tire clearance?

Twin_Turbo
09-09-2005, 03:59 AM
The arms come as blanks in straight & bent shapes, you drill the holes and cut them to length. why would you want to bend them to get them as close to the ball joint as possible? sure it'll be more effective but you could also use a stiffer bar or shorter arms to get the same results. Coleman has all the amrs you need. Do not bend.

parsonsj
09-09-2005, 11:24 AM
Bending the arms is probably a better way to go. Leaving them straight leads to putting the end link joint somewhere in the middle of the lower control arm, and unless you've planned for that, the arm is probably not stiff enough and will flex and/or bind. Also, for tuning, a smaller bar closer to the ball joint near where the coil spring forces apply is more ideal.

You can bend aluminum arms (once only) and they will be fine. Stock Car Products will even bend them for you from a faxed drawing. Or, if you're worried about metal fatigue from the bending operations, you can have the arms normalized and then heat treated again.

jp

62fairlane
09-09-2005, 06:27 PM
so is there a standard for spline size and count? I noticed I think 1" and 1.25" in 48 and 49 count splines. I know this seems like overkill but fmor an engineering standpoint it is an item that is easier to model (much like coil overs vs stock springs/shocks) I was thinking of finding out the "ideal" bar and try to get one firmer and softer (with no ideal bar) to see how I like it. as I have said before things on paper sometimes are much different in real life.

race-rodz
09-09-2005, 06:54 PM
if you decide you wanna run a standard set of bars...i can hook ya up 1" fr, 3/4 rear, most of the mount hardware. off a 64 1/2mustang... which i "think" is the same platform. one/or both... 1/2 the price of new +shipping..btw... they are about 2 years old

62fairlane
09-09-2005, 07:44 PM
well seeing how i am putting in a 4 link rear and front halfing the car a stock bar doesn't do me much good....hence the thought of changing. I have some software on order that my team is working on and if we could easily select a bar stiffness and jsut buy a bar to match off the shelf that would help tons

parsonsj
09-09-2005, 09:15 PM
Just to make it more complicated, you can also get them in 1.75 spline diameters.

I'm using 1.25 x 49 spline myself. I don't know if there is a "favorite" or preferred size.

jp

race-rodz
09-09-2005, 11:08 PM
well seeing how i am putting in a 4 link rear and front halfing the car a stock bar doesn't do me much good....hence the thought of changing. I have some software on order that my team is working on and if we could easily select a bar stiffness and jsut buy a bar to match off the shelf that would help tons

good point... mine wont do ya any good.

chicane
09-11-2005, 06:26 PM
Mmmmmmumph....... mmmmmmm mmmmm mmmmmmurph.

(They wont let me talk)