PDA

View Full Version : EGT's ???

PaceCarNut
09-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Does anyone monitor there exhaust gas temps?? What about turbo timers? anyone using these?

hotwheels
09-03-2005, 08:24 AM
yes yes yes.........exhaust gas temp is very important to monitor. Generally it will be your first defense if you start to have problem's with air/fuel ratio's, etc.......autometer sell's a nice set up, bout 160bucks....

and in my opinion, a turbotimer is very important too....i run one on my twinturbo'd mustang. I usually set it for 1 min. idle time, then the car shut's off....this will help preven coking on your turbo's bearing's, which will cause your turbo's seal's to go bad....it is a cheap investment for the money....

hotwheels of insanemustangs

Blown353
09-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Turbo timers are a good idea if your turbos don't have watercooled center sections, and also if you're either too lazy or in too much of a hurry to wait and let the car idle 1-2 minutes once you get to your destination and stopped.

Monitoring EGT's are also a good idea for boosted applications, especially turbo'd applications. While not a reliable way to measure A/F ratios (timing can also play a BIG part in EGTs regardless of mixture, so don't rely on EGT alone to determine your mixture) you want to make sure you don't get things too hot and cook your exhaust valves/exhaust system/turbos.

EGT's are especially important to monitor on "pump gas" turbo'd cars as they usually run less timing than ideal to avoid detonation on lower-octane pump gas, which contributes to higher EGT's. If the EGTs start getting too high even with a proper A/F ratio then it's time to consider less boost and more timing to get the EGT's back down to a safe level.

EGT can also vary based on where the probe is placed. On a turbo car, it needs to be before the turbo, and you *generally* will see temps of 1500-1600F while under full throttle/boost conditions. Start getting much higher than that and you're looking for trouble, especially if you hold it there for longer durations.

Just for an example, the EGT's on my friend's highly modded Dodge Diesel pickup will PEG the gauge at 1800F when he's doing a tractor pull or has the thing set to kill at the drag strip. That's definate danger territory, but it's never held there much longer than 10-15 seconds at a time and hasn't caused any parts failures yet. If he maintained those temps towing a trailer for long periods of time he'd be in serious trouble though.

Troy