PDA

View Full Version : Susp/Steering/Brake Upgrade??

squid
09-01-2005, 09:39 AM
Well, after finally deciding the best route (I hope) for my car and keeping my wife happy, I have decided on which components and wanted your guys suggestions and/or recommendations.

I have a daily driver 68 Camaro with a mild 4-bolt/ARP-studded 355 with hypereutechtic pistons, Edelbrock 650 Vac. secondary, Edelbrock EPS intake, bowl-ported 1.94 heads, 268HE cam, MSD Pro-Billet Dist., MSD 6+ Digital ignition, MAD New System, and headers. TH350 with B&M Torkmaster 2000. Baer Serious Street are on thier way. As evidence as a member here, I love the corners and intend to enjoy driving as much as possible. Maybe some racing one day, but mostly hard driving, legally.

Here is what I have planned:

QA1 coilovers

from DSE: Upper control arms, LCA bushings, body mounts and SS hardware, tie rod adjusters, PS pump, hose, cooler, and bracket; Rear leaf kit with 2" drop

3rd Gen IROC Box, Competition Engineering SF Connectors (Bolt-On), and all new Moog misc steering/suspension pieces.

Rear brakes from Praise Dyno? Other options?(besides discs)

What do you guys think? Feasible? I would have done the DSE Speed kit 3, but budget would not allow with everything else going on. And I was thinking the Hotchkis hollow front sway bar, but very open to any recommendations. I searched previous posts and just wanted your guys seal of approval, and to point out any discrepancies.

Thanks for your time,
Brad

907rs
09-01-2005, 10:04 AM
Welcome to the board, Brad.

Looks like you've chosen a good combination of parts. If you can't do the DSE coilover kit with relocated uca mounting points, then the only thing that I'd add is the Guldstrand mod.

squid
09-01-2005, 10:24 AM
Thanks, awesome site. Probably not good for the savings account!

Is it recommended to perform the Guldstrand mod with DSE UCA's? Thanks for the prompt response.

camcojb
09-01-2005, 10:31 AM
Thanks, awesome site. Probably not good for the savings account!

Is it recommended to perform the Guldstrand mod with DSE UCA's? Thanks for the prompt response?

I don't think so. The DSE arms already have that built into them, plus offer additional bushings to change the caster even more.

Jody

squid
09-01-2005, 10:57 AM
I thought I had read that somewhere. I can't say enough about the blue 69 SS on your site. That's very close to where I'd like my car someday. Thanks Jody.

Brad

squid
09-07-2005, 04:09 AM
According to DSE's site, and I quote

"I used the Dick Guldstrand template to relocate my upper control arms in my first generation Camaro. I drilled new holes and cut away the old holes. Will your upper control arms work with this setup?

"Yes, you can use our tubular upper control arms with the Guldstrand relocated points. Our tubular upper control arms will work in the stock mounting location, or with re-located upper control points."

So, I am contemplating the UCA Relocation with the DSE UCA's.

sinned
09-07-2005, 08:29 AM
I don't think so. The DSE arms already have that built into them, plus offer additional bushings to change the caster even more.

Jody
Jody, it's physically impossible for the control arms themselves to have any impact on the camber curve, one of two points needs to move; either the ball joint location or the pivot location.

Here is what I have planned:
QA1 coilovers
from DSE: Upper control arms, LCA bushings, body mounts and SS hardware, tie rod adjusters, PS pump, hose, cooler, and bracket; Rear leaf kit with 2" drop
3rd Gen IROC Box, Competition Engineering SF Connectors (Bolt-On), and all new Moog misc steering/suspension pieces.
Rear brakes from Praise Dyno? Other options?(besides discs) The only thing I'd suggest different is maybe looking at NAPA vs. Moog for your chassis components. The NAPA pieces are far superior to Moog.

Supercharged 86
09-07-2005, 09:38 AM
I thought NAPA just used Moog parts anyway? When I got my springs there they came in a box that said Moog, but maybe that's different.

camcojb
09-07-2005, 01:00 PM
Jody, it's physically impossible for the control arms themselves to have any impact on the camber curve, one of two points needs to move; either the ball joint location or the pivot location.

The only thing I'd suggest different is maybe looking at NAPA vs. Moog for your chassis components. The NAPA pieces are far superior to Moog.

I said caster not camber.

Jody

sinned
09-07-2005, 06:05 PM
I said caster not camber.

Jody
Yeah, I saw that but the "G" mod is more geared toward camber gain so that is how I read the question and the responses.

squid
09-26-2005, 02:33 AM
You guys rock! Thanks for all the help. Everything is in the garage waiting for a new home except the UCA's and the rear shackles. Now, I just have to find the time to get it POR-15'd, new rad. core support in, and all together between family, school, and work.

Thanks again!
Brad

squid
10-13-2005, 02:05 AM
Thanks. All the parts are now sitting in the garage waiting for me make time. Thank you for your responses.

mdprovee
10-13-2005, 09:55 AM
Remember to take and post pictures.