PDA

View Full Version : 2nd to last 4 wheel disc update DEREK69SS LOOK INSIDE!!!!

MaxHarvard
08-30-2005, 03:25 PM
Does this look right to you Derek? The calipers facing towards the back of the vehicle? Also, i have to modify the calipers i bought, there was a little ear i had to shave off to fit the brackets.

http://anti-rice.com/me/DSC01288.jpg

Derek69SS
08-30-2005, 04:11 PM
:thumbsup: did you have to machine the axle flange to get the rotor to slip on? I forgot to mention that I had to do that on mine, but I've got an Oldsmobile rear, so things are different (mine was more complicated because of the non C-clip axles) :willy:

It doesn't matter if the calipers are on the front or rear, as long as the bleeder is on top. I think I put mine toward the front because with the direction the braking force would put on the bracket, there is more "meat" on that side so it looks a little stronger that way, but I don't think it would really matter, you're not going to break that bracket. The way you have it has an advantage, in that you use the right caliper on the right, and the left on the left. I've got it opposite, so left is right and right is left, which could get confusing if someone else were to work on the car. I guess it just comes down to preference.

It looks good :cool: I remember that ear, and I think I decided to grind a notch in the bracket to clear it, rather than grind it off the caliper. I only did this so I wouldn't have to do any more grinding if I replaced the calipers later, just bolt on and go.

Have fun bleeding the entire system :D

MaxHarvard
08-30-2005, 04:17 PM
:thumbsup: did you have to machine the axle flange to get the rotor to slip on? I forgot to mention that I had to do that on mine, but I've got an Oldsmobile rear, so things are different (mine was more complicated because of the non C-clip axles)

It doesn't matter if the calipers are on the front or rear, as long as the bleeder is on top. I think I put mine toward the front because with the direction the braking force would put on the bracket, there is more "meat" on that side so it looks a little stronger that way, but I don't think it would really matter, you're not going to break that bracket. The way you have it has an advantage, in that you use the right caliper on the right, and the left on the left. I've got it opposite, so left is right and right is left, which could get confusing if someone else were to work on the car. I guess it just comes down to preference.

It looks good I remember that ear, and I think I decided to grind a notch in the bracket to clear it, rather than grind it off the caliper. I only did this so I wouldn't have to do any more grinding if I replaced the calipers later, just bolt on and go.

Have fun bleeding the entire system :D

Good call with the grinding of the plate. Thanks for the help too, i didnt have to mill the end of the axle housing, it slipped on just fine

and btw, i have a split master cylinder, so i only have to bleed the back 2 MUUHAHA!!!! :D :P

Seriously though i will bleed all 4 just to be on the safe side, i'm super anal about bleeding all the F'n time :D

LS1NOVA
08-30-2005, 06:33 PM
Looks good to me!

Derek69SS
08-30-2005, 08:54 PM
and btw, i have a split master cylinder, so i only have to bleed the back 2 MUUHAHA!!!! :D :P

Is it a disc/disc master, or a disc/drum master? You might not be done yet :willy:

MaxHarvard
08-31-2005, 08:06 AM
Is it a disc/disc master, or a disc/drum master? You might not be done yet :willy:

I called SSBC and asked them if it would work... they said "no problem" :P

Derek69SS
08-31-2005, 06:42 PM
I called SSBC and asked them if it would work... they said "no problem" :P

Cool, but if you can't get them balanced right you may need to try something different. I used the '68 Corvette master cylinder and a Willwood proportioning valve with great results :thumbsup:

Was my parts price list very accurate? It's been a year, and I made the list by memory, as I couldn't find my reciepts :willy: