PDA

View Full Version : What to do

will69camaro
12-19-2004, 02:56 AM
Well first off i'd like to thank Tyler from ATS for answering my phone call today and answering my questions even though it was a saturday. I'm pretty sure we have everything in there right and it's ready to go (have to wait and give it a drive to be sure). Well i was stripping the inside and found something that is kind of upsetting. I knew my car was wrecked before i bought it but it had been fixed. Well i find dents in the floor panel of my car and upon closer inspection we realize that the car itself appears to have "buckled" behind the driver/passenger seat in the floor infront of the rear bench. I've driven this car around for over 2 years without noticing any strange tire wear, pulling one way or another and i've even installed subframe connectors (bolt in) without this being a problem. I just didn't realize it was buckled in the center. Eventually i know i will be replacing the floor but i'm thinking of waiting until i do the entire body (needs a few rust patch panels in a few places). What would you suggest? If i've been driving the car with NO problems with this apparent "buckling" in the floor (even the roof looks fine) then do you think it's ok to wait to replace the floor?

Thanks, I will try and get pics up if i can soon.

William

68protouring454
12-19-2004, 07:01 AM
will, most camaros have what looks to be a buckle on the tranny tunnel and is probaly what this is. or is it in the floor pan also??, if you are to worried about just have it put on a frame machine and measured, probaly won't cost much maybe 80 bucks or so, for set-up and measure
jake

Steve Chryssos
12-19-2004, 07:13 AM
Since you've driven the car and it feels straight, I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point. It's entirely possible that after straighening, some buckling in the floorpan remains, so just because you see buckling does not automatically mean that the car is tweaked.

Find out. Put it on a rack and have it measured. Shouldn't cost too much to find out if it's straight.

jonny51
12-19-2004, 11:24 AM
I wouldn't get to upset finding a "clean" first gen camaro is like winning the lottery!Unless you pay big $$$,they all seem to have one issue or another.

will69camaro
12-19-2004, 12:01 PM
Well i'm glad to hear that there is something that looks like "buckling" in the tunnel but there is a definite line that appears to run from side to side right around the rear part of the door (rear door jam). But i'm guessing it has been straightened because doors close fine, drives fine and like i said we were even able to get the subframe connectors on it and that to me tells me it hasn't been "tweaked" too bad atleast. We found my car a LONG time ago (7 years) and picked it up for 2200 and it had rust in the lower rear quarters...Well i had that replaced and now pulling it apart further 7 years later i notice that there are a few spots that are going to have to be addressed. Where the floor is damaged there are some small rust holes starting to form so i'm sure i'll need either floor patches or a new floor. In the passenger side rear wheel well there is rust just forward of the top of the wheel opening and lower right behind the "gills." Also in the front under where the battery was i need a new core support and inner fender because that is all coroded and rusted. All will be replaced eventually but being a starving college student it's all i can do to get my car back with the LT1/T56 swap...Anyway i'm actually going outside to work on it pretty shortly so i will check back later on. I'll post pics later on it possible.

Thanks for the replies,
William