PDA

View Full Version : Time To Build Another Car

Steve Chryssos
12-17-2004, 10:35 AM
It's time to plan out another car. Planning and seraching for the car alone will take 6 months. I cringe at the thought of doing Power Tour. If I need to go that far--I'll take a plane. But there are a coupla cases where I might warm up to the idea of cruising across the country:

My gut reaction is to build a pissed-off Smokey and the Bandit 77 T/A Blackbird--With a CB radio. That should make the miles pass more quickly.

My next thought is to merge R/T Magnum wagon underpinnings, interior and new Hemi to a 1973 Dodge Coronet station wagon. Video Screens, Built in fridge, and four fat tires with lots of sidewall. 9 Passenger!! One car and a bunch of us do the long haul together. Gonna need some serious springs.

Either car could be purchased cheaply. Which would leave money for customizing.

Your thoughts?

DCreations
12-17-2004, 11:08 AM
I love t/a's,but I really like the wagon idea :D Big fan of mean looking wagons.

Rick Dorion
12-17-2004, 11:14 AM
I like wagons, too. I'm so sorry I passed on a Vista Cruiser at Carlisle two years ago.

Anyway - big block, killer suspension => cruise king!

jonny51
12-17-2004, 11:20 AM
Steve bandit all the way!!I had a 76 TA and a 77 "special edition" complete with velour interior,all the gold accents including the old english writing lol.Man I loved that car :D

Oh dont forget the T-Tops LOL

Stuart Adams
12-17-2004, 11:34 AM
Smokey and the Bandit all the way. As a kid I must have watched that show 20 times. Buford T. Justice was funny. Love the T/A stance. Build both!!!!!!!

jonny51
12-17-2004, 11:37 AM
"The god damn germans got nothing to do with it" :D

XcYZ
12-17-2004, 11:43 AM
The T/A would be cool.

BC69
12-17-2004, 01:25 PM
Both sound cool, but I think if you really want to stand apart, customize the wagon and make an awesome car to cruise in.

Tim

Novacane
12-17-2004, 02:22 PM
The T/A would be an awesome theme! Especially if we power it with a sick GEN3 motor! :)

Let me know if you need a hnad with the powertrain!

Howard

Steve Chryssos
12-17-2004, 02:42 PM
Yeah!! LS-2 with a single throttle body up top with a shaker. Keep it coming. I will hire an artist to pull all the ideas together. Wheels?

Steve Chryssos
12-17-2004, 03:01 PM
It would be even better if I started with something like this:
http://www.gentrylane.com/gen_site/78_firebird/78fire_side.jpg
http://www.gentrylane.com/gen_site/78_firebird/78fire_skybird.jpg

Someone worked very hard to preserve a 78 Firebird Esprit "Sky Bird" edition. I can just hear ABBA singing "Afternoon Delight" in the background. I would just love to have my way with it--take it to the dark side.

zbugger
12-17-2004, 03:27 PM
I say drink heavily, write down some ideas while wasted, and then when you sober up you try an decipher the drunken chicken scratch to see if you came up with any good ideas. But that's just what I do. Notice I haven't come up with anything though. Then again, some egyptologists are working on what my hyroglyphics said...... :rolleyes:

Kris Horton
12-17-2004, 03:28 PM
I would just love to have my way with it--take it to the dark side.

What? Like scribble "of Prey" in red letters under Sky Bird? Perhaps paint the foofoo bird graphic black with red eyes? That'd be SWEET! Sorry..had to.

I actually dig the late 70's Firebirds and TA's. I'd love to see it done in a PT/Street Fighter style.

Best of luck with it!

Kris

Ummgawa
12-17-2004, 08:47 PM
Steve,

It wasn't Abba, it was the 4 Man Hand Job band or the Ben Dover I'll Drive Band or something like that.

NO!! Starland Vocal Band, they opened a Mike's Quickie Lube and Texas Style Chili in Villa Rica, Ga. last week :D

I really need to get workin on the Heap.

Steve Chryssos
12-18-2004, 06:37 AM
I thought the Starland Vocal Band wrote "Kung Fu Fightin"

Ummgawa
12-18-2004, 10:15 AM
Nah, that was Hung Dung and the Skid Marks. I think.

Canadian_Hot_Rodder
12-21-2004, 06:37 PM
****, I say build the freakin' wagon!! Customize the crap out of it and come power tour, it will be the funnest experience hauling 9 or 10 people along! I think a roots style blown big block should power it along with a wicked, in your face paint scheme with bright colors with air brushings (people, characters, etc.), with some 20"-24" wheels rolling the behemoth. That would be awesome in my books. Just my $0.02! :eek:

Keith
12-21-2004, 07:33 PM
My preference is the wagon but......
When oh when will someone do a g-machine Opal GT? :cool:

Steve Chryssos
12-22-2004, 07:12 AM
Okay well, after watching Rides last night and seeing Leno's Toronado come together, the search is over: I will tear into my bone stock, 65K mile 1965 Riviera. I have been resisting the urge to modify this car, but after seeing the Toronado, my mind is made up.

I'll start by getting it off the ground and taking some measurements.

Done!
Hack the Riv! (http://homepage.mac.com/streetfytr/PhotoAlbum23.html)

Ricochet
12-22-2004, 07:37 AM
That was a great episode last night!! I have seen a couple Rivs done & look great. I know you will put a twist on it that will look awesome and perform even better!! Good luck!!

907rs
12-22-2004, 08:01 AM
Steve, I thought the Riv was the wifes ride.
What does she have to say about this? :D

Musclerodz
12-22-2004, 11:17 AM
This Riv was local to me until he sold it. It definitley kicked A$$! Does the wheels look famliar? :D

Mike
http://www.uswheel.com/bonspeed/images/gallery/P5010006.jpg

BC69
12-22-2004, 11:25 AM
Bonspeed clutch's?

parsonsj
12-22-2004, 11:26 AM
First, I love the idea! Driving around Vegas in Katz's 65 Riv made a believer out of me. It has "cool" written all over it.

Enough of the "styling" questions, let's talk mods: Are you gonna stick with the stock frame? Stock suspension? Got any weight reduction in mind? Stay with the nailhead? Manual or automatic? (uh, never mind). :)

jp

MaxHarvard
12-22-2004, 11:34 AM
how about a '65 Continental? :D

I've always loved those things with Dubs and slammed... oh.. and BLACK! :D

Steve Chryssos
12-22-2004, 12:01 PM
Are you gonna stick with the stock frame? Stock suspension? Got any weight reduction in mind? Stay with the nailhead? Manual or automatic? (uh, never mind). :)

jp

Actually, Frank (Prodigy) already has me thinkin about a Caddy SRX platform over at P-T.com. Jus' sliiiiide the old chassis out and sliiiiide the new chassis in--ABS Traction Control, Northstar 5 speed auto, and all.

Already told the Mrs. She loves the idea. She sure does love drivin that car!! She'll love it even more if she doesn't have to worry about the choke sticking open in the morning.

"Honey, I figured out how to eliminate the choke problem....."

parsonsj
12-22-2004, 01:15 PM
Honey, I figured out how to eliminate the choke problem.....

That broke me up. My fellow workers think I'm nuts as I laugh while working here in the salt mines.

But That'll do it. That'll do it very well indeed. Great idea!

My wife wants a Caddy when her mini-van bites the dust. Maybe I'll do something similar:

"Sweetie, you know that Cadillac you wanted? I've got a deal for you ... "

jp

Keith
12-22-2004, 01:35 PM
Actually, Frank (Prodigy) already has me thinkin about a Caddy SRX platform over at P-T.com. Jus' sliiiiide the old chassis out and sliiiiide the new chassis in--ABS Traction Control, Northstar 5 speed auto, and all.

Already told the Mrs. She loves the idea. She sure does love drivin that car!! She'll love it even more if she doesn't have to worry about the choke sticking open in the morning.

"Honey, I figured out how to eliminate the choke problem....."

Oh, that 32V Northstar is badass.....magnacharger makes a s/c for it too!!!

parsonsj
12-22-2004, 01:37 PM
You can call me goofy, but I like the starter under the intake manifold. Now that's cool.

jp

67Sally
12-22-2004, 10:18 PM
Okay well, after watching Rides last night and seeing Leno's Toronado come together, the search is over: I will tear into my bone stock, 65K mile 1965 Riviera. I have been resisting the urge to modify this car, but after seeing the Toronado, my mind is made up.

I'll start by getting it off the ground and taking some measurements.

Done!
Hack the Riv! (http://homepage.mac.com/streetfytr/PhotoAlbum23.html)

And I came into this thread to ask you "What about the Riv?". I am glad to hear that this is the direction that you have chosen.

jonny51
12-25-2004, 12:51 PM
I still like the 77 bandit TA.I just got the smokey and the bandit box set for christmas.My wife and I watched a few highlights this morning and we both miss the bandit TA I had.I think I need to look for a nice clean stocker to drive :D

Merry Christmas people.

lil427z
12-29-2004, 09:35 PM
the 77 - 78 trans am are my favorite and the 69 ram air 4 are nice also .

rick kirkindall :)

Steve Chryssos
12-30-2004, 10:56 AM
The Trans Am idea is good. I envision seeing roll bar tubing through the T-Tops and having some one-off honeycomb-looking 18's made up. In the end that car would probably end up very similar to my current car--and I want to try something different.

So it will be the Riviera/SRX concept. I'm pretty excited about variable valve timing, magnetic ride/handling, and 5 speed OD auto. If any of you have one and you accidentally roll it or forget to put oil in it and blow the engine, please call me. In the meantime, I'm gonna work on getting one from GM.

"Uhh...Hi GM, I'm Steve....Can I--umm--have an SRX. Yes I need one that's fully loaded. Hello? Hello? Are you still there?....."