PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of 21st Century Street Machines rollcage

XcYZ
08-21-2005, 06:56 PM
Here are the pictures that Ed sent of the 21st CSM rollcage. :thumbsup:

Rollcage pictures (http://www.lateral-g.net/products/21stCenturyStreetMachines/rollcage/)

JamesD
08-21-2005, 09:24 PM
Looks great! I like how the down tubes go through the dash, makes the cage really disappear. I would probably skip the door bars, or maybe have them set real low like in the mule.

Musclerodz
08-21-2005, 09:35 PM
By the looks of it they had faired it into the a pillar and eliminated the pillar molding. Am I correct?

Mike

Edward Bednar
08-22-2005, 10:19 AM
The cage is certifiable for about anything you'd care to run NHRA,SCCA etc. That is why there are still compronmises in the hoop and the doorbars in regards to aesthetics.Jim tells me that as long as your strapped in he'll guarentee you'll walk away at 200mph. Seeing as he's built a myriad of cars that have hit the wall at 200mph I believe him. He won't make this guarentee with a kicked back hoop or a lower doorbar. He's also not prone to exaggeration.Thanks for the feedback. Ed

Edward Bednar
08-22-2005, 10:25 AM
We have essentially made the bar part of the interiors A pillar trim.To give you an idea of how effective theis placement is I was out the day they installed the bars. I walked right past the car and then commented to Jim and Greg about when they were going to get around to it. The both gave me a blank stare and said they're in there!.Duhh... If you don't look closely they can be easily overlooked. I'm not always the most observant on the first pass anyway.lol.Ed

68protouring454
08-22-2005, 11:07 AM
hw repeatable is this rollbar going to be?? how many cars have one in it?? any feedback from people outside the company, looks real real nice.!!!
jake

Edward Bednar
08-22-2005, 08:21 PM
It has been repeated several times now in our shop.It'll be the kind of kit that will require someone to have a little experience with fabrication.I'm not talking alot of experience but because we find substantial differences in the measurements between all the cars we do it'll require some massaging but no more than most kits.Development continues and once we have enough experience we can let others know where the rocks and snakes are. Ed

68protouring454
08-22-2005, 08:33 PM
sounds great but now, wheres the pricing!!!! let us know
Jake

JamesD
08-22-2005, 09:53 PM
Did ya'll have to cut the front down bar in half in order for it to go through the dash?

Edward Bednar
08-23-2005, 01:52 PM
We don't cut the downbar.As far aspricing there was such a clamoring for photos I advanced them earlier than planned for product rollout and so product pricing still hasn't been established because as Steve has said this is a very labor intensive kind of roll cage. We've installed them in cars but are still learning what it will take to offer this as a type of production piece. I haven't yet been able to establish pricing for a production kit since things are still in development.Ed

Nutsy
08-23-2005, 07:05 PM
I am very interested in this! Please keep us posted!

How much custom interior work does the roll cage require to put the interior back together? I am wondering how the A-Pillar covers will fit also what about installing the headliner and dash???

Trev

PT Dave
08-23-2005, 11:43 PM
Ed,
what dia. is the tube and what is the wall thickness ? Is it DOM ?

XcYZ
08-24-2005, 07:41 AM
From a previous post...

To answer questions in regard to tubing diameter and wall thickness. I imagine things can change and the different classes can definitely have different standards and the standards may have changed. The cage can be done in any diameter and wall thickness. Our experience with doing David Farmers C6 World Challenge Corvette specified for that SCCA event a 1 and 3/4 .095 mild steel or a 1 and 5/8 .125. The Nascar classes 1 and 3/4 .095 mild steel. Most NHRA classes we have had experience with specify 1 and 5/8 .125 mild or .083 chrome moly. Our cage in the photos is 1 and 5/8 .125 DOM mild steel without tight radius bends which can compromise wall thickness. We can accomodate any other specifications but again I defer to the expert in my facility who says our cage will stand up to most demands put on the street cars we produce. Ed

Edward Bednar
08-24-2005, 12:50 PM
You won't use the A pillar covers, the bar with the sheet metal molding becomes the interior trim. A very light skim coat and apply your interior color. The way the headliner works is that a piece of foam will be glued up and sculpted to the bar in the roof again becoming part of the interior. The liner will then be put onto the foam. Best way to describe it would be an attempt to sculpt as much of the roll cage into the interior as possible. I'll keep things posted through Scott as we continue development. Ed

rwhite692
08-24-2005, 02:42 PM
Hey Ed- Rob here... we spoke on the phone some months ago about this cage in kit form. Glad to see you are getting closer to production-readiness with it. When it's ready to fly, I'm ready to buy! :thumbsup:

-Rob

PT Dave
08-24-2005, 11:00 PM
Scott,
Great Info. !!
Just What The Doctor Ordered...

Teetoe_Jones
08-25-2005, 08:33 PM
Ed-
Just saw this for the first time.
I have to say your shop is doing amazing fabrication work. I love the blended A pillars into the cage. Great work.
Tyler

Steve Chryssos
08-26-2005, 12:45 PM
Damn I'm jealous. Don't show this to my chiropracter--he'll be pissed. We're all building 150mph capable cars, so roll cages are important. This design makes safety downright livable.

Note that my bent door bar/sill bar combination has passed both NHRA and SCCA tech. So you may want to look into this design. Getting out is way easier than with a straight door bar, but it still passes between the shoulder and elbow.
Very nice Ed.
/Steevo
http://homepage.mac.com/streetfytr/.Pictures/camaro%20pix/interior1.jpg

Edward Bednar
08-27-2005, 03:44 PM
I definitely like that down bar. Thanks for thought.We'll definitely consider it. Ed

DCreations
08-27-2005, 06:26 PM
F70t/a, what was this post supposed to mean?

Damn True
09-17-2005, 11:38 PM
Really slick looking install. Would love to have something similar in my car.

What is the status of the kit in regard to production?

Wondering how much room remains under the dash on the right side. Is there enough space for a Vintage Air (or similar) unit?

Damn True
09-21-2005, 05:50 PM
...also, Id really like to see some photos of the headliner when it starts to take shape.

Thanks

Damn True
09-28-2005, 02:59 PM
...any progress here?

Edward Bednar
09-29-2005, 11:05 AM
Not much more on cage right now. The remainder of the fab work is being done. We'll keep updating as things occur. Ed