PDA

View Full Version : Tig welding aluminum for beginners.

patriotformula
08-18-2008, 06:41 PM
Well I got a Lincoln 225 for the garage a couple of months ago and have gotten much better at GTAW steel... well I decided to move on to Aluminum today, and I'm not completely going into it ignorant and have done some research but I cant do it at all.. I have EWP electrodes and rounded the point, cleaned the aluminum with a stainless brush, turned it to AC and about 135 on some 1/8 aluminum. I strike an arc and the aluminum just never seems to melt or do anything very much, I try to add some filler rod to the very small pool there and it just kinda flakes off... Any clue for a stupid beginner? Im open to suggestions!

BTW :hail: to all the good aluminum tiggers I have seen over the years cuz it's not real easy!

Cread01
08-18-2008, 07:12 PM
Not all aluminum can even be welded. You have to know what type you are welding, and use the correct filler rod for the job. I would start with some 6061 aluminum and get the correct filler rod for it. I cant remember the number for the rod but there are all kinds of charts on the web. The puddle will really just kind of look shiny. not really like a puddle of steel. obviously different people find what works best for them but as far as balling the end of the tungsten I usually bring it to a point and just put a ball on the end about 1/32 around. some people like it bigger but it's probably subjective. As you weld across the aluminum it tends to get hotter so you reduce the heat as you go. The more you do it the better feel for it you get. Just play around with it and you'll find what works best for you.

dave96dcm
08-19-2008, 08:35 AM
I have found that it is easier to learn aluminum with a 2% tungston rod, like what is used for steel, it has a more focused heat. When working with aluminum you need to heat it up for longer than steel to start the bead, but once it is started you can move right along like with steel.

68protouring454
08-19-2008, 08:53 AM
for 6061, there are different fillers for different situations, i find best results with 4043 filler, 5356 can also be used, but i find the puddle and tacking to be much easier with 4043 filler. as dave said 2% thoriated (red stripe) welds alum just fine. i use 1/16th on .062 alum.

OTE Design & Fabrication
08-20-2008, 07:38 AM
In addition to what has been said, I like to clean the Aluminum and filler rod with acetone before I weld. Clean Aluminum = nicer welds.:thumbsup:

parsonsj
08-20-2008, 02:38 PM
I'd add that you'll need to add filler rod to get the joint puddle started... aluminum doesn't puddle together as easily as steel or ss does.

jp

rich-allen
08-20-2008, 03:26 PM
If your not getting the aluminum to melt then 95% chance you don't have the heat high enough.
The heat generated with aluminum welding is why they use water to cool the torch. Crank up your power to 180 and see if that helps.

I know of guys that actually preheat the thicker pieces of aluminum to 400 degrees when using a low output welder.
A basic rod for aluminum is 4043, when welding material 1/8", a 1/16 dia. rod is optimal.

Your tungsten should have a ball on the end. The best method is to reverse your polarity and strike an arc on some mild steel. Switch your machine back to AC and your good to go. If your tungsten touches any part of the filler rod or weld pool it becomes contaminated. Break off the contaminated part of the tungsten and ball the tip again.

If you were having problem like the material was blowing off when you struck an arc, that would a tribute to not having the proper tungsten.

patriotformula
08-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks guys... I was just trying to run a stringer bead on top of the aluminum to try it out at first. I appreciate the help, and I'll chime in if I have more problems... Maybe you fellas can help me! Great to have so many responses!!!