PDA

View Full Version : Project "Straightline"

HRBS
08-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Heres a little info on our new project:
Straight-Line Performance is what this ‘83 Chevrolet Camaro is all about. The engine is a 427ci Dart Little-M Small block producing 650hp at 7,800 rpms. A PowerGlide transmission equipped with a transbrake delivers power to a 12 bolt rear end fitted with gun-drilled 40 spline axles and a Mark Williams Spool spinning 4:56 gears. The chassis consists of a hand built 2x4 boxed tube frame with a fabricated rear 4-link system and the front section has been modified with AJE tubular down bars tying into the stock front clip. Strange Pro-Race 4 piston steel brakes slow down the 3100lbs car after its 9.30 @ 142mph quarter mile pass. The Camaro wil wear 15x4 & 15x15 Weld Aluma Star Bead Lock wheels and run on Mickey Thompson Tires. Body modifications include late model RS ground effects, stretched wheel openings, shaved emblems as well as door locks and drip rails. The exterior will be sprayed Matador Red candy tricoat. The interior is all business and houses several AutoMeter gauges for monitoring the cars vitals. A set of upholstered polycarbonate racing seats are fitted with 5 point harnesses for safety. Electronic Delay and cross-over box and full CO air system will make this car a consistent threat in drag racing competition.

http://www.hotrodsbysteve.com/projects/83camaro/HRBS_Drag_Camaro_766.jpg

gearheads78
08-04-2008, 10:15 AM
Looks like a cool project. I would use a big cowl instead of a snorkle but other than that carry on.

GHOSTDANCER
08-04-2008, 01:03 PM
That's a kool project. Can't wait to see more.:cheers:

GM Muscle
08-04-2008, 02:13 PM
i might have to agree with a cowl over a scoop.. but to each his own..

XcYZ
08-04-2008, 02:18 PM
As much as I'd prefer a cowl hood, I'm guessing that's what Steve's customer told him that's what he wanted.

But hey, at least it's the right color. :D :lol:

HRBS
08-04-2008, 02:20 PM
If this were a street car (like a pro-street) then a cowl would be more appropriate looking. However, you need to remember, this is an ALL OUT race car and it is functional.
As the car accelerates and the speed increases during the run, more air is force fed into the carburetor making more top end HP. We built an "air box" around the carburetor hat and finished it off with 2" thk foam where it meets the underside of the hood. The air has NO place to go but down the carb. Its good for about .10 of ET.
Besides, there are no cowl hoods in Pro-Stock either. :lol: :cheers:

ironworks
08-05-2008, 09:30 AM
There are few of those in the upper ranks of the PSCA. Slim Zeinaty just got his new car back from West coast race craft with stock suspension and a 632, to run in drag radial. It looks bad ass. He also has an Outlaw car that is the same body style. Both bitchin cars, that haul ass.

http://www.pscaracing.com/driverprofiles/driverprofiles.html

Kendall Burleson
09-21-2008, 07:58 PM
I build one with out a hood scoope the car really look good with 13637