PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop/ Illustrator delinquency

SRD Art
07-31-2008, 07:26 PM
Getting a drawing ready to post for the art show tomorrow. I did most of the work in Illustrator and then brought it into Photoshop for some highlights and stuff and as I save it to a jpeg, I found that a large 11" wide file looks pretty good on the screen. When I shrink it to 8" wide at the same dpi the straight lines that make up the stripe that spans the side of the car and are angled down get choppy, while the rest of the artwork looks great. If I zoom in the lines look better, and if I print it small or large they look nice crisp lines. This has happened to me before, it's just straight lines that are at an angle that get choppy when I save it to a jpeg, the rest of the image looks fine. Any ideas why this happens?

PS I use photoshop 6 and Illust CS2.

ZVT
07-31-2008, 08:02 PM
Ben its your anti alias setting or you could use layer mask when you create you artwork.

I ran into the same problem a while back and found a site that showed me how to fix it but cant remeber the addy anymore.
It might have been here http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/photoshoptutorialsselect/Working_with_Masks_and_Making_Selections_in_Photos hop.htm

I work in either 20x30 print size or 4500res @ 300dpi so when i resize it really doesnt matter. if the lines are jagged

Zee

stylEmon
08-01-2008, 12:23 PM
what you might be seeing is only because you are zoomed in or out too far. In the bottom left corner of PS, there is a little area that displays the % you are zoomed in at. If it displays anything other than 100%, you will not get a true display of the linework.

This is not true for Illustrator or other vector software, only rasterbased sw.
It could also be an anti aliasing issue, but not likely.

To be honest, jpg is a terrible format to work in for what you want to do. I would bring in elements of your vector darwing into separate layers for complete customization.

For example, I like to bring in the undercarriage on one layer, the body on another, and interior on another... etc. You can set up layers in Illustrator to make this easier.
In CS, you can use smart objects so there is no need to export the different element in a jpg, just copy and paste right in to PS.
Upgrade PS to CS2 also, you'll love smart objects. You can still copy and paste from illustrator to PS6, but you wont get a smart object.

SRD Art
08-01-2008, 01:42 PM
I usually print from my photoshop or Illustrator files, usually I work in 8.5x11 @ 300 dpi (My portfolio I show clients is that size). I convert the images to jpeg for posting on the net and for my web site if it ever gets finished! :(

The files print fine as a jpeg, but for some reason things get choppy when you look at the jpeg on the monitor, see my Nova's side stripes in the art show, that's a great example. Looks like I don't know how to draw a straight line. :mad: The original Nova file was 15 meg, so I saved it as 10 or 12" wide at 72 dpi for posting. I'll have to play with the anti alias thing but I'm pretty sure it was turned on. I'll check it later when I get home...

stylEmon
08-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Are you sure your viewing the image at 100% (1px per 1px)?
When I click on your Nova (using IE) it looks a little jagged, then I click on the image that pops up, and it enlarges it to 100%, everything looks fine.

If you are shrinking down to a small ppi, your fine lines will suffer, no matter what your anti aliasing is set to.