PDA

View Full Version : What brakes are you running??

Novacane
12-14-2004, 10:14 PM
Getting ready to get the brake system together. 6 months ago as I put the plan together I intended to use a Wilwood setup. It comprised of a 6 piston Superlite (C5) setup up front and the 4 piston dynolite rears. This all combined with a manual master cylinder. I think it's the way to go but want to make sure I explore all of the options. What are some of you guys using on you PT rides??

Howard

XcYZ
12-14-2004, 10:17 PM
I went with the typical Baer setup. 13" Track front, 12" touring rear with Eradispeed 2 piece rotors. What takes this setup completely over the top is the Hydroboost. The brakes are insane.

camcojb
12-14-2004, 10:23 PM
I went with the Baer Alcons (4 piston) up front with 13.25" Eradispeeds and rear PBR's with 13 1/8" Eradispeeds. I also am using Hydroboost.

The only thing that swayed me from Wilwood was the rear brakes. I love their front 6 piston units but they have nothing comparable in the rear. I was not impressed with my last Dynalite calipers.

Well that, and getting a ride in the Thrasher with those Alcons; flat out awesome braking.

Jody

will69camaro
12-14-2004, 11:19 PM
Right now my car is using the factory style front disc and rear drum but i plan on doing it on a budget and using the touringclassics.com setup for the hybrid C5 setup front and rear.

William

ProTouringNyC
12-15-2004, 01:50 PM
I did the same as XcYZ Baer brakes and hydra-boost stops on a dime

Ummgawa
12-16-2004, 05:14 PM
I did the 6 piston Wilwood set up with 13.25 inch rotors in front, 4 pistons big rotors in back. I went with the non emergency brake rears as I could get bigger (12 inch +) rotors for the back. I also have a yoke mounted EBrake (Looks like a disc brake set up) with the floor handle mounted on the hump. Also did the Hydro boost set up. Do spend your money on that great product.

I wanted to do the Alcons but MAN!! I did not want to have to get a second mortgage on the tractor to get em. They are sweet, but E X pensive!!

jonny51
12-16-2004, 05:18 PM
The tractor LMAO :D

lil427z
12-29-2004, 09:45 PM
I am running the wilwood 13'' rotors drilled - sloted on all four conners with
4 pistons calapers with hydroboost . stops / stops/ stops .

rick kirkindall

jannes_z-28
12-30-2004, 02:09 AM
I did the budget thing and used C4 brakes all around with a S10 Mc. Hydroboost is in the plans.

For details check my homepage.

Jan

Novacane
01-03-2005, 10:46 PM
I don't have any room for a Hydraboost unit. The guys at Wilwood said it was not needed with a well designed 6 piston/4 piston setup. I would like to investigate the Alcons.....

XcYZ
01-04-2005, 09:48 AM
True, you may not need it, but it does work awesome. Adding Hydroboost to your Wilwoods would be like... well... adding twin turbos to a 427 CID LS1. :D

Musclerodz
01-04-2005, 10:30 AM
I will be running LS1 brakes with Hydroboost. I couldn't see paying for a name for entry level brakes, and I can't afford the good stuff right now. There is more important stuff to buy.

Mike

Blown353
01-04-2005, 09:52 PM
Basic Baer/PBR setup here. What really makes it work though is the hydroboost from Paul. Brakes were OK before, but are now stupid-good with the hydroboost.

Howard-- at the risk of stating the obvious (and please don't be offended if I do) Wilwood is correct. A hydroboost becomes less important as you move to a caliper with more piston area (i.e. a 6 piston caliper) as the greater piston area requires less line pressure to generate adequate clamping power. However, for setups with lesser piston area (i.e. PBR calipers) the only option to make them bite harder is to increase the line pressure, which is where the hydroboost comes in-- you can get mega line pressure out of a larger bore MC so you still maintain reasonable pedal travel. Otherwise to generate those line pressures you are looking at a small bore MC with a large pedal ratio, which means uber-long pedal travel.

You can most definately run a hydroboost with large piston area brakes, but it really won't be needed if piston area, MC bore size, and pedal ratio are properly matched. Running a hydroboost with large piston area brakes will makes TONS of braking power available, however at the expense of reduced pedal "feel." It also means you can run a larger bore MC and cut down on pedal travel if that interests you. There is nothing like the feedback offered by a PROPERLY designed manual brake system, but the hydroboost gives good feedback too, especially if it's a tweaked and bluprinted unit; far better feedback than a vacuum booster IMO.

Personally, I'm waiting for Jody to post pics of his seatbelt-bruised chest after he tries his Hydroboost/Alcon combo for the first time. :P

Y-TRY
01-16-2005, 02:21 PM
You should REALLY check these guys out for a more affordable option:

Touring-Classics (www.touring-classics.com)

T Bell
04-12-2005, 11:06 AM
Wow that is a great setup. I hate that the C5 kit doesn't fit the TTII and I'd have to get the hybrid setup with a thinner rotor. I must change my sig.

PhaseShift
04-12-2005, 12:09 PM
I am a little suprized that nobody mentioned AP Racing for the calipers. If I were to upgrade, it would likely be to AP brakes.

http://www.apracing.com/

BC69
04-12-2005, 12:51 PM
The rarest brake setup on the site!!! 4 WHEEL DRUMS BABY!! I dont even know what baers would feel like, and its not like I drive much or fast, I am like an old lady when I drive the Camaro, so it works for me.

Tim

spaztikatik
04-12-2005, 01:18 PM
It's not like I could tell you how my brakes perform yet, considering they've been in boxes for the past 2 months, but I got myself the Baer GT+ system with 14 inch front rotors and I'm using their touring 12" disc system on the rear with PBR calipers all around.

I liked the GT+ system versus the track system because of the extra rotor surface area (275's up front will use the 14 inch rotor nicely) plus it uses the new C5 caliper versus the old C4 caliper, given the C4 caliper is still amazing as well for resto-mods.

Oh yeah, plus I got my kit for DIRTTTTT cheap :thumbsup:

USAZR1
04-12-2005, 01:25 PM
I'm running Baer's 13" Track front and 12" Touring rear kits with two-piece Eradispeed rotors on my 69 El Camino. We didn't use the m/c Baer supplied but I'll be darned if I can remember what unit we ended up with. Whatever it is,the brakes are very strong and linear with a firm pedal.
However,I'm thinking about going for Baer's new six piston caliper set-up.

rwhite692
04-12-2005, 03:21 PM
C5 corvette front and rear (LS1), + Hydroboost.

IMHO...what I tell guys who think that their original brakes are "good enough" is to consider that, when you are surrounded by modern vehicles out on the roads, you'd better be sure you have some damn good brakes, because they all do, when compared to the stock 1950's technology on 60's musclecars.

Or...just make sure there is never anyone driving a modern car out in front of you...:D

trapin
04-13-2005, 12:22 PM
I'm running Wilwood Dynalite Big Brake Front Hub's on the front and the Dynalite Pro Series with the rear parking brake on back. The calipers are 4 piston front and back. They'll be fed by a Hydroboost when I cross that bridge next year. I'm happy with the price and they look damn sexy on there too. :unibrow:

Rick Dorion
04-14-2005, 07:05 AM
I just completed my hydroboost setup for my C4/13" front - rear drum setup. Now I have to retrain my brake foot.

Sandro's 1969 502 Camaro
04-14-2005, 10:36 AM
I don't have any room for a Hydraboost unit. The guys at Wilwood said it was not needed with a well designed 6 piston/4 piston setup. I would like to investigate the Alcons.....

I ran their four piston set up on my last project 1947 gmc pickup. They told me that I didn't need a brake booster and that manual would be more than enough but they were wrong because my truck stopped like crap.. Anyways to make a long story short I changed over to wilwood tandom master cylinder and matching brake peadal and that helped but not by much. On my camaro I'm running bear brakes 13" and 12" can't be more happy with it, but have to change over to hydroboost because not enough vacuum.

http://www.ridetech.com/projectview.asp?ID=12718+&source=KnownProject

rwhite692
04-14-2005, 11:30 AM
Best way I can explain how a Hydroboost system will improve the capability of a brake system....

Remember those SAT questions...Like:

Ball is to bat as nail is to:

A: CAT
B: HAMMER
C: STEAK
D: FOOTBALL

(ANSWER IS B)

Well,

HYDROBOOST is to BRAKE SYSTEM as NITROUS OXIDE is to:

A: DENTIST
B: INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE
C: CLAM CHOWDER
D: PHONE BOOK

(ANSWER IS B)

:D

conekiller13
04-15-2005, 12:26 AM
Standard Baer package on My Chevelle. Worked awsome on the street and track. I repeatedly out braked Vetts, Porsches and BMW's. Never any fade problems. Of course I had only 300hp and a terminal front straight speed of around 130mph. I switched to a Willwood tandem brakes master with balance bar just before I took the car apart for the current rebuild. I'd really like to step up to some Extreme+ 14" rotors and Baers new 6 piston fron calipers. Gots to get bigger wheels though.

david@ronsraceshop
04-29-2005, 05:54 PM
Lets See
Fronts Brakes are 13" Corvette Drilles Slotted Zinc Plated Rotors with Custom Aluminum Rotor Hub and PBR Caliper on modified Stock Spindles.
Hawk HP Brake Pads

The Rears are 2000 Camaro Rear Disc Brakes with parking Brake and Drilled, slotted Zinc Plated Rotors.
Hawk HP Brake Pads

And Hydratech Hydro Boost System.

Oh yea In car adjustable Proportioning Valve for adjustments as fuel burns off.

David@RonsRaceShop

fbsideoiler427
05-03-2005, 01:20 AM
I let my brain engineer a brake package which borders on insanity but has been fun nonetheless. I'm running 15" rotors up front, 14's in the rear, E55 AMG front 8-piston calipers on all corners, Forgeline 19x13's in the rear and 19x12's in the front, DPI brake circulation system with external cooling.

907rs
05-03-2005, 08:29 AM
I let my brain engineer a brake package which borders on insanity but has been fun nonetheless. I'm running 15" rotors up front, 14's in the rear, E55 AMG front 8-piston calipers on all corners, Forgeline 19x13's in the rear and 19x12's in the front, DPI brake circulation system with external cooling.

Sounds trick!! Got any pics? :D

conekiller13
05-03-2005, 09:33 AM

What are You using for a master cylinder combination with those huge calipers all the way around? I think I have brake envy............... :willy:

XcYZ
05-03-2005, 11:06 AM

Hell yeah, now that's insane. :D

spaztikatik
05-03-2005, 12:53 PM
i can't tell if youre building a PT car or a semi

jeeeeesus that's wicked awesome

chicane
05-21-2005, 02:32 AM
14.5" six piston AP's

http://www.dougrippie.com/images/c500rsr_front_caliper_and_rotor_small.JPG

Twin_Turbo
05-25-2005, 07:16 PM
Wilwood Integra 6 front & Integra 4 rear w/ stewart LRB for the rear & recirculator setup for the front.

fbsideoiler427
06-30-2005, 05:00 PM
Some pics as requested.....

XcYZ
06-30-2005, 06:19 PM
Awesome, I'm liking those pics. :thumbsup: Have any more? :)

Raptor Pilot
01-10-2006, 01:09 PM
WOW and thanks for the persepctives oin the Hydroboost and brakes being used on here in general.

Teetoe_Jones
01-10-2006, 04:56 PM
A real pic of Chicane's brakes:
http://www.pro-touring.com/~tylerb/14inch.jpg

These brakes are massive!

Tyler

ilovefirstgens
01-10-2006, 06:52 PM
Well technicly i have no brakes on the car....

Once i get A little more cash i'm buying some c6z brakes (cheap as dirt compared to anything else in their ball park) and ive already got the hydroboost bolted in.

Van B
01-10-2006, 08:06 PM

Tyler

That, or it's just a really little guy holding them. :lol:

67Sally
01-10-2006, 08:56 PM

Tyler

Damn!

Ricochet
01-13-2006, 01:35 PM
I'm running Baer's new 6S system. 14" all around assisted by Hydratechs Hydroboost Unit.

ohcbird
01-15-2006, 12:53 AM
Hydraboost w/ a C5 master cylinder.

Front:
Touring Classics Hybrid (C5 Caliper using C4 style rotor due to wheel clearance issues). Two-piece Eradispeeds.

Too bad I can't get the AFX for this combo.

Rear:
Baer Track w/D&S rotors.

Nothing spectacular, but the target weight is only 2750lbs w/ half tank.

Kendall Burleson
01-15-2006, 01:13 AM
that a big set of brake what size is the wheel. how much do they weight :bow:

Teetoe_Jones
01-15-2006, 02:46 AM
Too bad I can't get the AFX for this combo.

You can. You just need to have a little patience.

Tyler

ohcbird
01-16-2006, 02:32 AM
TYLER for president!! woohoo! Sorry for the poke... ;)

Patience? Yup- damn thing is up in the air & will be for months. Any expected time? I'm guessing you guys are into your second batch or so?

If you really are making them, $ign me up.

SSDan
01-28-2006, 09:13 PM
Contrary to the trend, I went agains Baer. I know they have good brakes, but after calling 3 or 4 times, getting put on hold from hell and the rep I talked to was on Pluto..I called Wilwood. The service was fantastic.

I ended up buying the Wilwood brakes from Global West with their Cat 5 system suspension for the front and rear. I added the hydoboost, because I run an 8-71 BDS Blower and they work wonderful!

david@ronsraceshop
03-13-2006, 12:58 AM
I have the B-Body Spndle with 12" 1LE Slotted Rotor and Hawk HP Plus pads
11" Rear Disc Brake and Hawk HP Plus Pads

This car stops hard for manual brakes.
100-0 185 ft
60-0 110ft
I have the Hydro boost system but have installed it yet and expect it to do better