PDA

View Full Version : Stole this from another board...Good question to ponder.

BC69
12-14-2004, 07:39 PM
This is from Chevelles.net, so dont cheat, but the answer isnt up yet anyway, there is a real answer, and I will let it go here for a while, and post it later. Dont cheat if Chevelles puts up the answer first...

Here Goes..

This supposedly was once an actual test question that was asked on an USAF Bomber Pilot Training Application for Potential Cadets. Please read it VERY CAREFULLY and pay as much attention to detail as possible:

This is a story that is based purely on science fiction. It is designed to test your ability to make critical decisions and to test your ability to use Moral Judgement in a crisis stutation:

You are the Captain of a specially designed space ship. This is a ship that has been very carefully weighed and balanced to be as efficient as possible. Your Job is to deliver very badly needed serum to a planet called “Planet X”. This planet has been hit with a very deadly disease that has killed many people. Each day that passes claims several lives so it is imperative that you reach this destination as quickly as possible

This ship has been specially designed to burn just enough fuel to reach its destination and not an ounce more. It also has been designed to travel at an exact speed. If it travels too fast, it will overshoot its destination and drift off into space, if it travels too slow, it will undershoot its destination and again will drift off into space. Every piece of this ship has been very carefully weighed and balanced, so there is nothing on board that does not serve a critical service to the ship

Once you begin your journey, you notice that the ships engines are burning more fuel that they’re supposed to. You look to the ships computer for an explanation and discover that the ship is exactly 114 lbs. heavier than it’s supposed to be. This can only mean one thing. “There is something “or someone” on board that’s not supposed to be here.”

You order the ships computer to run a scan on the ship for any signs of life and discover that there is indeed a life form on board other then yourself “ A stowaway”. Your orders are to immediately terminate all stowaways and jettison there remains into the vacuum of space. There can be no exceptions. You use a heat detector to locate this persons exact location, arm your blaster and order them to come out. Out of the darkness comes a very young and frightened girl. “a 14 year old girl”

After quickly interrogation her it is discovered that her father is one of the miners on this planet and she simply wanted to be with him. She believed that the worst that could happen from her actions would be detention by the pilot until she reached her destination, then she would be turned over to her father after having him pay a fine to the authorities. She had no idea of the true consequences her actions called for.

Question: As Pilot of this vessel, What would you do?

Remember that is imperative that you get this serum to its destination as quickly as possible. A decision has to be made quickly because each moment that passes burns very badly needed fuel

Please explain your answer in as much detail as possible.

Tim

camcojb
12-14-2004, 09:23 PM
Doesn't seem like it will help to get rid of her now. You had exactly enough fuel to make it at a perfect weight and speed and that's gone now. Throwing her out will get the weight back but not the wasted fuel.

Jody

BC69
12-14-2004, 09:31 PM
All I can say is there is a real solution to it, and its somewhere in the question itself.

T

wickedmotorhead
12-14-2004, 09:32 PM
Sacrifice yourself for her since she weighs less and that will make up for the already lost fuel. Have her talk to command central to get the exact needed weight and use parts of yourself to make any adjustments before jumping ship :)

Ummgawa
12-14-2004, 09:32 PM
You keep on truckin. There is no Gravity, so her weight is not an issue. You immediately shoot her for insubordination and when you reach the planet, you also shoot her father for doing such a poor job as to have raised a stowaway.

I guess I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue.

wickedmotorhead
12-14-2004, 09:35 PM
...or maybe your heat detector, ray gun, and clothes would make up for the added weight ;)

camcojb
12-14-2004, 09:39 PM
then again, it does say that the ship is designed to use just enough fuel to reach the planet, but does not say there is a set amount in the tank.

Jody

Ummgawa
12-14-2004, 09:45 PM
Remember, you are weightless in space.

And , By the way, The original space dude should corner the market on the serum and make himself a quick $50.00 or so when he reaches the planet.

XcYZ
12-14-2004, 09:54 PM
I'd put a turbo on it. :D

zbugger
12-14-2004, 10:23 PM
My answer is not legal, nor all that nice to post here. Some would even call it twisted and disgusting. Can you figure out what my answer is now? Using your.... Well, MY imagination helps....

Steve Chryssos
12-15-2004, 12:32 PM
I was (sorta) thinkin along the same lines as Allen. I believe Planet X is 7 years away, so keep the girl. She will be 21 years old when you land and probably very grateful for your efforts and consideration. Last time I was on Planet X, I found it to be a very cold and lonely place--not to mention almost completely devoid of the opposite sex.

We're car guys! How hard can it be to eliminate some weight? Just get rid of the AC, Dynamat, cupholders, power steering and the oscillation overthruster (it's bad for the environment).

BC69
12-15-2004, 12:55 PM
Well since many of you are falling for the girl lol...you wont like the answer. I will put it up tonight after my final.

Tim

BC69
12-15-2004, 05:22 PM
Heres what the so called answer is. Member, I didnt make it up, I stole it from Chevelles.net

The Correct answer that the USAF was looking for was to simply follow orders and kill her. The mentality of a Disciplined Bomber Pilot should be that once he is given an order and sent out on a mission, that mission should be his highest priority. No matter what happens

No matter how much fire he is receiving,

No matter how many other bombers have been blown out of the skies,

No matter how badly his plane has been damaged or how many of his crew members are either dead or dying and in need of immediate medical assistance,

The bomber pilot is expected to remain on course and complete his mission, regardless of the consequences.

To Terminate her was the answer they were looking for…(but)

According to this manual, they were also willing to give partial credit for the following answer which also seemed to be the most popular:

"Once you begin your journey, you notice that the ships engines are burning more fuel that they’re supposed to. You look to the ships computer for an explanation and discover that the ship is exactly 114 lbs. heavier than it’s supposed to be."

The above statement indicates that the ship has not yet reached maximum velocity “meaning that it was still very close to its port of launch and not very deep into space yet. At Maximum velocity, the engines would have no longer been needed because space is a vacuum and with no air to resist the ships movement, It would remain at maximum velocity until it reached its destination. Only then would the engines have again been needed to slow the ship down for docking.

As the pilot, it would have been best for him to immediately contact his home base (not planet X) and request that a rescue ship be launched carrying enough additional fuel to replace the excess fuel that his ship has burned. Upon arrival, the rescue ship would transfer the replacement fuel to your ship while at the same time retrieve the girl. Once this transaction was completed, the rescue ship would return back to its place of origin while you continued on with your mission. Although it doesn't say this, I think we are expected to assume that this transaction would be carried out while his ship remains on course and in motion

Hmm...so simple, but so morally confusing.

Tim

Steve Chryssos
12-15-2004, 10:03 PM
Then, he doesn't get to keep the girl? So much for the humanitarian mission.

ZMAN1969
01-13-2005, 02:34 PM
My answer is not legal, nor all that nice to post here. Some would even call it twisted and disgusting. Can you figure out what my answer is now? Using your.... Well, MY imagination helps....
Criminy! to make this easier for people like zbugger , couldnt she be 19 or 20? :rolleyes:

harshman
01-13-2005, 05:49 PM
Maybe I’m missing something here. Space is a vacuum. Once desired velocity is reached there is no need to use the engines. No friction, no air, nothing to slow it down. The only thing that will impede progress is the gravity of a planet. So if this is true, the fuel is not an issue. “Continue present course and speed number one.”

and

i should have read the rest of the posts!!! :beathorse