PDA

View Full Version : 69 Camaro with C5 Independent Rear Suspension

XcYZ
08-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Here are some pics from 21st Century Street Machines (http://www.21stcenturystreetmachines.com/) latest project - installing a C5 IRS into a 69 Camaro. Looks right at home in there. :thumbsup:

http://www.lateral-g.net/products/21stCenturyStreetMachines/C5IRS/C5IRSa.jpg

http://www.lateral-g.net/products/21stCenturyStreetMachines/C5IRS/C5IRSb.jpg

http://www.lateral-g.net/products/21stCenturyStreetMachines/C5IRS/C5IRSc.jpg

XcYZ
08-09-2005, 05:20 PM
http://www.lateral-g.net/products/21stCenturyStreetMachines/C5IRS/C5IRSd.jpg

http://www.lateral-g.net/products/21stCenturyStreetMachines/C5IRS/C5IRSe.jpg

http://www.lateral-g.net/products/21stCenturyStreetMachines/C5IRS/C5IRSf.jpg

hotwheels
08-09-2005, 05:23 PM
that there, is simply amazing...........wow

Steve1968LS2
08-09-2005, 05:33 PM
Nice..

If I didn't already have a 4-link I would be ALL OVER THIS..

Where is that drooling smilie???

Teetoe_Jones
08-09-2005, 06:27 PM
That looks familiar.
Are they going to use the transaxle too?
Tyler

Edward Bednar
08-09-2005, 07:33 PM
The transaxle will work with this setup as well. This project has a C5 pumpkin with an adapter plate we've machined that has customized input shaft and yoke because the customer didn't want to give up the back seat. It'll be hooked up to his T56 tranny via a standard driveshaft like setup.Tyler this cradle has been narrowed to fit under the stock sheet metal. You remember in my original postings last year we had planned to develop this as a kit and so during development we've built all our jig fixtures for our manufacturing setup to do it over and over. We also have developed a body jig to produce kit cars that'll look alot like a 1st gen Camaro. LOL. This car was in development at the time Mike Tancreti decided to purchase it. The next one gets the C5 Rear transaxle. We've been real busy developing the full product line and you already know of the C5 front subframe the subframe connectors, our rear medium tub kit( not my desciption but one of the mag writers quips) the stepped racing headers for all drivetrains, the custom narrowed tanks and now we have a real slick roll cage that tucks into the A pillar and becomes part of the interior. We also ahave the 4-link rears available for the medium tub kit. We're presntly packaging supercharger and turbo kits. It'll be possible to one stop shop at 21st Century Street Machines for your 1st gen Camaro.I'll try and keep up with the posting but you can always get me at [email protected]. Thanks Ed

907rs
08-09-2005, 07:53 PM
You guys are really expanding Ed, :thumbsup: and I'm very interested in more info on that roll cage.

Steve1968LS2
08-09-2005, 09:31 PM
The transaxle will work with this setup as well. This project has a C5 pumpkin with an adapter plate we've machined that has customized input shaft and yoke because the customer didn't want to give up the back seat. It'll be hooked up to his T56 tranny via a standard driveshaft like setup.Tyler this cradle has been narrowed to fit under the stock sheet metal. You remember in my original postings last year we had planned to develop this as a kit and so during development we've built all our jig fixtures for our manufacturing setup to do it over and over. We also have developed a body jig to produce kit cars that'll look alot like a 1st gen Camaro. LOL. This car was in development at the time Mike Tancreti decided to purchase it. The next one gets the C5 Rear transaxle. We've been real busy developing the full product line and you already know of the C5 front subframe the subframe connectors, our rear medium tub kit( not my desciption but one of the mag writers quips) the stepped racing headers for all drivetrains, the custom narrowed tanks and now we have a real slick roll cage that tucks into the A pillar and becomes part of the interior. We also ahave the 4-link rears available for the medium tub kit. We're presntly packaging supercharger and turbo kits. It'll be possible to one stop shop at 21st Century Street Machines for your 1st gen Camaro.I'll try and keep up with the posting but you can always get me at [email protected]. Thanks Ed

Very nice Ed.. can't wait to get you my car.. find a trailer yet? ;)

I know you are swamped.. call me up tomorrow if you get some time.

Love the IRS deal.. very nice. I might have you look at my PHR set-up while the car is there..

So the car can go in a junker and come out done? cool.. you guys do a lot of painting?

Steve1968LS2
08-09-2005, 09:33 PM
You guys are really expanding Ed, :thumbsup: and I'm very interested in more info on that roll cage.

Ive seen pics of the cage.. it almost looks organic and it really blends into the body of the car.. looks very labor intensive to make.

I guarantee you have not seen anything like it.. very :thumbsup:

Nutsy
08-10-2005, 12:17 AM
Website??

Musclerodz
08-10-2005, 12:29 AM
Website??
Hyperlinked in Scott's first post. Trick setup you guys have there.

Mike

Payton King
08-10-2005, 08:03 AM
Their shop is about 5 minutes from my office and I can tell you...some tricky stuff is going on there.

I am happy my car is out of there as I would be cutting my trunk back out for the IRS unit.

There is a car in there that no one is talking about. 57 hardtop with C4 front and rear suspension. The really cool thing about the car though, it has a LT5 motor in it.

XcYZ
08-10-2005, 09:56 AM
There is a car in there that no one is talking about. 57 hardtop with C4 front and rear suspension. The really cool thing about the car though, it has a LT5 motor in it.

Cool, there's a motor you don't see too much of.

Smack_talker
08-10-2005, 10:37 AM
Cool, there's a motor you don't see too much of.

I like that motor...lots of potential there.

Edward Bednar
08-10-2005, 10:51 AM
To answer Steve's question regarding paint. Alot of you now know of my chief fabricator Jim Pettigrew's background in Nascar over the last 30 yrs. which is considerable and you've seen the quality of his work and skills. Well about 4 months ago his brother Greg joined us and Greg is to paint and body what Jim is to fabricating. Look for some killer paint to come out of the shop. The PPG regional guy here has known Greg for 25 years and wishes to partner up with us to get some of our cars on the road with PPG's trailer for their show display. I can't quite figure out if I even offered to do this but that's how much they think of Greg's work. Anyway we offer full paint and body as well. Ed

Steve1968LS2
08-10-2005, 12:28 PM
To answer Steve's question regarding paint. Alot of you now know of my chief fabricator Jim Pettigrew's background in Nascar over the last 30 yrs. which is considerable and you've seen the quality of his work and skills. Well about 4 months ago his brother Greg joined us and Greg is to paint and body what Jim is to fabricating. Look for some killer paint to come out of the shop. The PPG regional guy here has known Greg for 25 years and wishes to partner up with us to get some of our cars on the road with PPG's trailer for their show display. I can't quite figure out if I even offered to do this but that's how much they think of Greg's work. Anyway we offer full paint and body as well. Ed

:woot:

:thumbsup:

USAZR1
08-10-2005, 01:22 PM
Their shop is about 5 minutes from my office and I can tell you...some tricky stuff is going on there.

An incredible combination,for sure. Since I still have so many contacts in the ZR-1 community,I've been thinking long and hard about installing a 93-95 LT5 in my car. It would probably be one of a kind.

Bowtieracing
08-10-2005, 01:44 PM
Great work!!! I cant wait to see yours and Tyler cars ready. Keep us posted and on pics!!! :thumbsup:

holschen
05-17-2007, 02:40 PM

So how much would this setup cost ?minus the transaxle
And I assume u can´t use 13.5inch c4 brakes on this setup?

B Schein
05-18-2007, 01:37 AM
It comes in at a little under 20,000 installed. That’s ready to hook a drive shaft up to the diff and drive down the road

holschen
05-18-2007, 11:35 AM
20000?????? u must be yokeing .
A third of a new c5,and thats only the rear end.
hahaha no thanks
Good luck with that;)

JamesD
05-18-2007, 04:16 PM
This is not a simple bolt in. I'm guessing a vast majority of that price is the labor.

Teetoe_Jones
05-18-2007, 06:14 PM
I don't think it is all that bad for what is required to make that a roller. You have to narrow an aluminum cradle, make new rear frame rails, sheetmetal, etc to package it all in.

Tyler

jason@gmachine
05-18-2007, 09:50 PM
Badass! Simply Badass!

I really like this setup, very nice install too.

Jason

B Schein
05-19-2007, 01:13 AM
I takes a lot of labor to do this install roughly 80 hours and that’s if it’s a good solid car with no rust issues to repair. Not to mentions that prices includes new suspension components a used diff shorted half shafts coilsovers and the list goes on. All that needs to be done is hook up the dive shaft from whatever motor combo you want to use. We have three cars waiting right now for this install. I just unloaded a donor z06 chassis yesterday day for one of the cars it helps if the price some if you can get salvage parts but then there is also the chance that they my be bent as is the case with z06 chassis the rear cradle is marjory twisted to it that is the gambel you take buying salvage parts.

holschen
05-19-2007, 07:30 AM
I takes a lot of labor to do this install roughly 80 hours and that’s if it’s a good solid car with no rust issues to repair. Not to mentions that prices includes new suspension components a used diff shorted half shafts coilsovers and the list goes on. All that needs to be done is hook up the dive shaft from whatever motor combo you want to use. We have three cars waiting right now for this install. I just unloaded a donor z06 chassis yesterday day for one of the cars it helps if the price some if you can get salvage parts but then there is also the chance that they my be bent as is the case with z06 chassis the rear cradle is marjory twisted to it that is the gambel you take buying salvage parts.

Sorry got a little dissapointed.:(
But I rather assemble it here in sweden by myself:yes:
So how much would u sell me the parts for me to assemble here in sweden?